Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Erickson undervalued?
(08-29-2018, 01:32 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Sucks as a return man

Just shaking my head...... when he has decent blockers, he led the Conference. Yeah, that's sucking..... Erickson is one of those quality players who are dependable, but for some reason the "fans" choose to criticize constantly. Last year, he was the only dependable receiver we had not named AJ Green.....
Reply/Quote
These different opinions are what I find so interesting about him. When you watch him on KRs, you don't think much of it, but he led the conference. This is a field position game, and he's good at it.

But I also find interesting opinions on him from the WR position. Can't help but wonder if he have a potential stud in the slot. Again, I'm just speculating, but he just seems so reliable and got the ball in some big moments.

This just stems from seeing us not using guys to their potential, only to see them go to other teams and contribute as a bigger role.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:56 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: He's a no frills #4, good backup for the slot, and decent returner. There's a place for someone like him on every team. It's that particular roster spot that seems to be undervalued here. I think Erickson fills that spot well, but I'm not expecting him to supplant AJ, Ross, or Boyd.

^This^
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 12:13 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R5hJNNqR40

2:59.

I'm on a roll today Wink

Yeah, remember when Jerome Simpson made that spectacular leaping front summersault into the endzone? Or when Andre Caldwell was going to emerge as a big name for another team, when the Bengals let him go?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 09:08 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, remember when Jerome Simpson made that spectacular leaping front summersault into the endzone? Or when Andre Caldwell was going to emerge as a big name for another team, when the Bengals let him go?

I don't see what that has to do with Erickson...

You stated that he can't get separation or beat anyone until a play breaks down; there he beat BRADLEY ROBY, right at the snap and ran right by him with a precise (albeit simple) route.

So yeah:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3Sf_fqiLH-xu_5y_nRcb...N0hTa-7xhN]

(08-29-2018, 12:23 AM)Synric Wrote: Roby got caught flat footed thought Erickson was gonna cut toward the sideline at the sticks.

Erickson looks like a solid backup slot and return guy.

(08-29-2018, 01:56 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: He's a no frills #4, good backup for the slot, and decent returner. There's a place for someone like him on every team. It's that particular roster spot that seems to be undervalued here. I think Erickson fills that spot well, but I'm not expecting him to supplant AJ, Ross, or Boyd.

Exactly. A role player to the extreme, but could definitely be utilized more and more effectively, within that role.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
He is one of those players that falls into my "I'd like to see him get a lot of quality snaps to see just how good he can be" category.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 09:26 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't see what that has to do with Erickson...

You stated that he can't get separation or beat anyone until a play breaks down; there he beat BRADLEY ROBY, right at the snap and ran right by him with a precise (albeit simple) route.

So yeah:

Exactly. A role player to the extreme, but could definitely be utilized more and more effectively, within that role.

That's what I'm talking about.  With a limited running game we're going to have to use more quick release plays.   That's what the Patriots do with Edelman, Amendola and their running backs when they're dealing with a smothering defense.  Erikson is that type of player. 
Reply/Quote
Definitely cut Dalton and make Erickson the starting QB.. NO doubt about it .. In fact cut Geno and let him start in the middle of the D line..  

Marvin just never sees his real potential . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:32 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Sucks as a return man but OK in the slot.   Just too slow making decisions on when to cut and when to go.   Something that made Adam Jones great.

I think he's actually a really good return man, especially regarding his decision-making.   He just hasn't had any blocking for a while.

Adam Jones is just elite and doesn't even need blocking.  He was worth keeping as a backup just to watch him as a returner.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 11:24 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Will Brady still be there in two years though ?

Doesn't matter, Bellichick will be and he'll find a way to use him.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 11:46 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Doesn't matter, Bellichick will be and he'll find a way to use him.

Maybe, time will tell 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 09:26 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't see what that has to do with Erickson...

So yeah:

So, he got lucky and caught Talib sleeping one time?  A play or two a career does not make.  

I'm not saying that Erickson is trash, just not going to sing his praises.  I don't like him as a KO returner, but would like to see him used sort of the way we used Andrew Hawkins.  Put that speed burst to it's best application, in open space.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like Erickson but hope we don't see much of him unless he returning kicks/punts.

Green, Boyd, and Ross.

Get the TEs active in other packages.

Cycle in Malone at times.

Gio and Mixon are your "get them in space guys"

After all of those then Erickson, unless of course others players get injured.

Sorry. He is just automatically undervalued unless on ST.

Not really his fault or the team's in my opinion.

Too many mouths to feed and not enough plays to dole out.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Do not ever see Erickson becoming a star or a #1.

But do think he is undervalued for what he does do and that is just simply getting the job done.

Solid role player and there is always a place for those type players on teams.

Am forever grateful to him for unseating Tate too.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 08:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Just shaking my head...... when he has decent blockers, he led the Conference. Yeah, that's sucking..... Erickson is one of those quality players who are dependable, but for some reason the "fans" choose to criticize constantly. Last year, he was the only dependable receiver we had not named AJ Green.....

I'm not saying he's good or bad but he gets the label of being "the only dependable receiver" not name AJ off of 12 catches the entire year? Come on man. As much as some fans need to give him a little more credit you need to come back to earth on that one. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 11:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, he got lucky and caught Talib sleeping one time?  A play or two a career does not make.  

I'm not saying that Erickson is trash, just not going to sing his praises.  I don't like him as a KO returner, but would like to see him used sort of the way we used Andrew Hawkins.  Put that speed burst to it's best application, in open space.

Now THAT is more like it.

Again, he's nothing more than a role player and will not be a featured part of this offense... but he can be utilized more effectively and efficiently.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I think hes on the 53 and contributes more this season than any in the past....
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 02:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Now THAT is more like it.

Again, he's nothing more than a role player and will not be a featured part of this offense... but he can be utilized more effectively and efficiently.

I don't hate the guy, and I didn't intend to give that impression.  The OP was asking if Erickson is undervalued, and I don't feel that he is.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 10:11 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Boom. 

He is smart, tough, and clutch. Good characteristics to have in a WR corps going through a major transition.

Philips is coming for his job as the returner though. 

You should share what ever it is you are taking or stop using.
ERICKSON IS CASH.

You need something on the field he does it. PERIOD. 

I WOULD LET BOYD GO FIRST. 
I like him too. 

DON'T EVEN think about him.

TELL YOU WHAT, OFFER HIM AS TRADE BAIT.

NO, NE. I BET good money you get a 3rd rounder MINIMUM.
(AND THEY WILL LAUGH LIKE IT WAS THE FRANK ROBINSON TRADE)

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 09:54 PM)McC Wrote: I think he has a place and a role on this team.

Cody Core picked a bad time to be injured.

Is it just me or have our ST's looked pretty good so far?  Good coverage and sure tackling.

I was thinking the same thing watching the Bills game (about our Special Teams).  Generally our ST's get off to a slow start until they get the right combination of people on a consistent basis.  The real year hasn't started yet but they do seem to be more consistent that I've noticed in the past.
Reply/Quote