Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Front Office in Rebuild mode in 2020
I think 2019 was the "rebuild" year, and now we're back to trying to be a playoff team. You have to understand, a "rebuild" in the NFL doesn't take several years like it does in MLB or the NBA.

You find the right coach, QB, have a good draft and utilize free agency, and you can go from 10+ losses to 10+ wins in one year. It doesn't even take all of the above. If you nail most of it, you can turn things around in a hurry.

If we lose this year, it won't be because we're rebuilding...it'll be because we screwed up one (or more) of the above things I mentioned.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I promise you the front office is working very hard to re-build.  .  .  .  

the Brown family fortune.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 03:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You have to understand, a "rebuild" in the NFL doesn't take several years like it does in MLB or the NBA.

You find the right coach, QB, have a good draft and utilize free agency, and you can go from 10+ losses to 10+ wins in one year.

If we lose this year, it won't be because we're rebuilding...it'll be because we screwed up one (or more) of the above things I mentioned.

This.

Rep
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 08:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This thread is not about personal hope of yes or no we are in rebuild mode this year.

State your case (facts) on if FO is rebuilding or not this year.

Nope, last year was the rebuild year. Now we can start adding the pieces to make us a contender in the next couple years.

Starts with Burrow, LB and O-line. We aren't that far off. Play Calling needs to improve though for Burrow to succeed as does OL
play and the weapons need to stay somewhat healthy. The LB's are the biggest reason our Defense sucked last season and we 
can improve in this area pretty easily. Grab a Guard like Glasgow and LB like Schobert in FA and we are looking pretty going into
the Draft. We had the best ST's in the league last year so one phase is good of the 3 phases.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 02:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: 2025 will be our year we are on a 10 year cycle. lol

WhoDey2 It does seem that way... Cool  
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 02:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Rebuild to me means expect a poor record in 2020 if they are rebuilding. 

Each year teams reload, only a few rebuild.
A rebuild starts with significant coaching and finding a new QB.

The rebuild started in 2019 with the wholesale replacement of the coaching staff. 
Next free agency starts in March and the Bengals can bring more money than about 20 other teams.
Since the Bengals pick first, they know who the new QB will be.
This year the new coaches have a unique opportunity to spend for many new FA's and pick first in each round 7 times.  Perfect conditions to rebuild.

Any team that finished 2-14 and brought up the rear in almost all significant statistical productivity indices can't reload because the weapon is broken.
The rebuild continues.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 12:17 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Signing Clowney would be similar to the way the then inept " no one wants to play here" Packers started their turn around by "overpaying" for Reggie White- who turned out to be worth every penny.

GREAT analogy...it had to be something significant to turn the tide of that perennial loser...and they haven't looked back.  
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 06:05 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: A rebuild starts with significant coaching and finding a new QB.

The rebuild started in 2019 with the wholesale replacement of the coaching staff. 
Next free agency starts in March and the Bengals can bring more money than about 20 other teams.
Since the Bengals pick first, they know who the new QB will be.
This year the new coaches have a unique opportunity to spend for many new FA's and pick first in each round 7 times.  Perfect conditions to rebuild.

Any team that finished 2-14 and brought up the rear in almost all significant statistical productivity indices can't reload because the weapon is broken.
The rebuild continues.

I love this different ways others look at this scenario. 

This is  very well written argument we are in rebuild mode.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
There is no rebuild or anything else planned. They run it year to year. It got to the point where they realized Marvin had to go so they parted ways and hired someone else. There was no thought beyond that. No comprehensive plan. It’s, “So what should we do this year?”.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 03:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I promise you the front office is working very hard to re-build.  .  .  .  

the Brown family fortune.

I wish they'd take notice when someone like Robert Kraft increases a franchise's value exponentially by winning championships.  
Reply/Quote
I think they are undecided.

Dipping the ol' shriveled toe into the murky water.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 09:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: There is no rebuild or anything else planned. They run it year to year. It got to the point where they realized Marvin had to go so they parted ways and hired someone else. There was no thought beyond that. No comprehensive plan. It’s, “So what should we do this year?”.

This is why I say we are not in rebuild, well said.

A rebuild takes a plan, we really won't know until FA and the Draft are both over.

We need to see the start, then we can tell what the hell is going on. Last year looked like a rebuild.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 11:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is why I say we are not in rebuild, well said.

A rebuild takes a plan, we really won't know until FA and the Draft are both over.

We need to see the start, then we can tell what the hell is going on. Last year looked like a rebuild.

Last year looked like a train wreck... Rebuild had nothing to do with it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 10:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I wish they'd take notice when someone like Robert Kraft increases a franchise's value exponentially by winning championships.  

He's into human trafficking too. That Kraft is a damned Renaissance man.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
No on the rebuild. Just because you take a QB at #1 doesn't mean you are in a full rebuild.

There is a lot of pieces to build around on this team:

Mixon, Gio, AJ, Boyd, Ross, Jonah, Hopkins.

Lawson, Dunlap, Geno, Hubbard, WJ3, Bates, Pratt

Remember, we lost a ton of games by 1 score or less last year. 6-7 wins isn't that far off.
Reply/Quote
For the first time since Mike Brown took over the franchise the front office is under the microscope from the national media. Getting criticized in every way possible. They have arguably the highest graded QB since Payton Manning entering the draft. If there was ever a time for Mike and Katie to go 100% all in this would be the time. I think we will be very aggressive come free agency. WHODEY!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Why is everyone still so high on Gio? You could sign pretty much sign anyone that could put up his pedestrian numbers.

I'm sure its part gameplan... but anyways we pay him this huge contract to catch 3 yard 4th quarter dump downs
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 11:32 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Why is everyone still so high on Gio? You could sign pretty much sign anyone that could put up his pedestrian numbers.

I'm sure its part gameplan... but anyways we pay him this huge contract to catch 3 yard 4th quarter dump downs

We pay him for his pass protection (blitz Pickup)….   He also still has skill as a RB but mixon keeps him off the field.
Reply/Quote
Rebuild an outhouse.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 11:34 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: We pay him for his pass protection (blitz Pickup)….   He also still has skill as a RB but mixon keeps him off the field.

Thats a lot of money to pay for a blitz pickup. 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote