Poll: Gio the starter now?
Yes
NO
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Gio the starter now?
(06-09-2016, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Gio has 2 fumbles in only 38 post season touches, and one of them was on the Chargers 2 yard line when we were set to score a huge td.

[Image: 2510986_orig.png]

But seriously, it's interesting how some think we'll NEVER get over Hill fumbling in 2015 while we are citing that a RB who fumbled in 2013 would NEVER fumble in a crucial playoff spot!   
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It'll most likely be the same situation as last year. Hill will have more carries, but Gio will have more catches.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Hill is going to have a great year. Just watch.
Reply/Quote
I don't think things will change much. Voted no
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 06:44 PM)Okeana Wrote: Gio is so good in the backfield that he will never be labeled as the starting running back, but in my book he already is.  I haven't hid that im not a fan of Hill, but I hope he corrects some of his issues.
Only issue I see is fumbling, but it's the biggest issue possible.  

I voted no because Gio is good out of the backfield and is an amazing change-of-pace, but he needs Hill to hammer out solid yards and take the heat off of him so that he can catch the ball in space and do his damage.

Hill definitely needs to fix his mistakes, but one can't dismiss the amazing rookie year he had once he started carrying the load or the runner that he is when he isn't fumbling.  

Hill's still the starter, but he' son a short leash, which he should be.
(06-09-2016, 09:05 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Speculation.

I'm pretty sure Marvin actually said that Gio would have been in the game carrying the ball if he hadn't gotten injured.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 06:04 PM)J24 Wrote: I don't think anything will change between the two.

this

should be about 50/50 prob
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 03:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: But seriously, it's interesting how some think we'll NEVER get over Hill fumbling in 2015 while we are citing that a RB who fumbled in 2013 would NEVER fumble in a crucial playoff spot!   

Rep.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 05:11 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Hill is going to have a great year.    Just watch.

Maybe not as great as his rookie season, but I also predict he will be much better than '15.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 01:35 PM)Ravage Wrote: Yeah, he did get top 10 HB money. However if you noticed, he's #10, and his deal is the newest. Usually the newly signed contracts skew more to the top, not the bottom of the top 10, the Bengals got a deal.

Excellent point.

If Gio continues to play well he will be one of the best bargains in the league by then end of this contract.  Contracts go up every year.  In 4 years there will be a lot of RBs averaging $5 millions a year.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 01:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe not as great as his rookie season, but I also predict he will be much better than '15.

Agreed.  Going into 2015 I was telling people Hill probably wasn't going to rush for 5 YPC and magically stop fumbling.  Now going into 2016 I'm trying to tell people that Hill isn't a liability to the point that we should have simply surrendered rather than hand him the football.

Wacky how much you can "change" just by staying in the middle.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 02:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Agreed.  Going into 2015 I was telling people Hill probably wasn't going to rush for 5 YPC and magically stop fumbling.  Now going into 2016 I'm trying to tell people that Hill isn't a liability to the point that we should have simply surrendered rather than hand him the football.

Wacky how much you can "change" just by staying in the middle.

Riding the razorblade fence cuts the nuts.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 02:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Riding the razorblade fence cuts the nuts.

Tasteful metaphor, but I've always noticed people who attempt to convince you that you "need to take a side" always seem to be trying to convince you take theirs.

So in all fairness, I'd say thinking Hill will neither embarrass Corey Dillion nor be a total liability is a side in itself.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 04:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Tasteful metaphor, but I've always noticed people who attempt to convince you that you "need to take a side" always seem to be trying to convince you take theirs.

So in all fairness, I'd say thinking Hill will neither embarrass Corey Dillion nor be a total liability is a side in itself.

Thats life.

Hill actually has a lot of the same qualities as Dillon IMO. I don't know what went on with him last season but
he seemed tentative unlike his rookie season. Hill's deceiving speed along with his size and strength are rare.

I hope you are right and Hill has a decent season cause last years was bad besides the TD's honestly.

I was hating on Gio Hill's rookie season than last season came along and it was the reverse.

If a player is playing shitty i call them on it. No favoritism with the Nate.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 01:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don't think Hill is a 3 down back either... not strong in the pass game

I don't really see it that way. Hill is a decent pass blocker, which is one of the things a RB has to do in the passing game. Also, he can catch the ball, but Gio is better as a receiver. Hill can go out in routes, we just don't use him that way very much.

It really comes down to how the team runs the offense. If they want to use an extra TE in pass blocking and use the RB as a receiver that's one way. Or you can put the TE in a pattern and leave the RB in to block. Or everyone goes out in a pass route.

It can also change depending on the score. With a good lead we might run more and eat the clock and keep our defense fresh.

What's nice is that we have both of them, which gives the team options in game planning and in-game adjustments. Hill still gets the start though in my book.

Reply/Quote
I like the fact we have 2 decent running backs for unique situations. As long as both stay healthy, I see a 50/50 use of each. If one gets injured, then the other will carry the majority of the workload. Thus, Gio will be used extensively only if Hill is injured.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2016, 01:12 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't really see it that way. Hill is a decent pass blocker, which is one of the things a RB has to do in the passing game. Also, he can catch the ball, but Gio is better as a receiver. Hill can go out in routes, we just don't use him that way very much.

It really comes down to how the team runs the offense. If they want to use an extra TE in pass blocking and use the RB as a receiver that's one way. Or you can put the TE in a pattern and leave the RB in to block. Or everyone goes out in a pass route.

It can also change depending on the score. With a good lead we might run more and eat the clock and keep our defense fresh.

What's nice is that we have both of them, which gives the team options in game planning and in-game adjustments. Hill still gets the start though in my book.

Yeah just because Gio > Hill as a receiver, that doesn't mean Hill = BJGE in that deoartment. Hill has done just fine when called upon to do that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Gio has 2 fumbles in only 38 post season touches, and one of them was on the Chargers 2 yard line when we were set to score a huge td.

TBH one of those fumbles shouldn't have happened. It should have been picked up due to the helmet to helmet flag. Can't really blame Gio for getting knocked the **** out.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 10:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Only issue I see is fumbling, but it's the biggest issue possible.  

I voted no because Gio is good out of the backfield and is an amazing change-of-pace, but he needs Hill to hammer out solid yards and take the heat off of him so that he can catch the ball in space and do his damage.

Hill definitely needs to fix his mistakes, but one can't dismiss the amazing rookie year he had once he started carrying the load or the runner that he is when he isn't fumbling.  

Hill's still the starter, but he' son a short leash, which he should be.

I'm pretty sure Marvin actually said that Gio would have been in the game carrying the ball if he hadn't gotten injured.

The speculation part is claiming Gio wouldn't have fumbled.
Reply/Quote
I don't think 2014 was an aberration. We are better off with Gio as our leadoff man. We are less predictable in play calling with Gio back there. Gio is the better outside runner and bigger threat in the pass game. He opens more of the field. And makes defenses cover more ground. Once the Gio gets the defense a little worn down Hill comes in like a hot knife through butter.

Coming out firing with Gio. Get the lead and put Hill to work as the closer.
Reply/Quote

I was about to bring this up. Gio's fumble in the Chargers game wasn't as bad as hills, but it definitely was a momentum changer.
Reply/Quote