Poll: Do We Need To Win The Division?
Yes, I don't see us making the wildcard
No, I see us being able to get a wildcard spot
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is It Division Or Bust?
We're at the halfway point and can already have an idea of the playoff picture.

With that said, looking at the standings today and the rest of the schedule, do you believe that this team's only chance to make the playoffs is by winning the division? Or do you think that they can somehow squeeze into the wildcard?

Personally, I do believe it's a division crown or bust. The Bengals still have to play the Bills, and if the Bills win that, then two AFC opponents have the head to head tie breaker over the Bengals (Broncos included). Throw in the Chiefs and Raiders, who both have at least 6 wins thus far in a contested division. And the Chargers, who are in last place, are 4-5.

Then, of course, throw in the loss to the Steelers. The Bengals HAVE to win their divison, or this could be the first time since 2010 that the Bengals do not make it to the playoffs.

What are your thoughts?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
The only way the Bengals get in is by winning the division which thankfully has been so bad that we have a good chance.
A WC team is not coming out of the AFCN.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 01:40 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: We're at the halfway point and can already have an idea of the playoff picture.

With that said, looking at the standings today and the rest of the schedule, do you believe that this team's only chance to make the playoffs is by winning the division? Or do you think that they can somehow squeeze into the wildcard?

Personally, I do believe it's a division crown or bust. The Bengals still have to play the Bills, and if the Bills win that, then two AFC opponents have the head to head tie breaker over the Bengals (Broncos included). Throw in the Chiefs and Raiders, who both have at least 6 wins thus far in a contested division. And the Chargers, who are in last place, are 4-5.

Then, of course, throw in the loss to the Steelers. The Bengals HAVE to win their divison, or this could be the first time since 2010 that the Bengals do not make it to the playoffs.

What are your thoughts?
Yes. Wildcard is not happening. But either way, unless something changes, this team isn't nearly good enough to make any noise if they even make it in the first place.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 02:07 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Yes. Wildcard is not happening. But either way, unless something changes, this team isn't nearly good enough to make any noise if they even make it in the first place.

I think it depends on the team in all honesty. I could see them beating the Chiefs or Broncos. A tough battle, but possible. Or if the Dolphins or Bills somehow make it, could see those being easier ones to win.

Reply/Quote
Winning the division would certainly be the easiest path as it stands right now, with the West having the inside track for the wildcards right now. 

The Bengals most immediate concern is what's in front of them. They've played 5 team who had a winning record at the time they played. They are 0-4-1 in those games. If they are going to right the ship and go on any kind of roll, it has to start with beating the Giants on Monday night. 

Luckily, the division isn't that strong this year and at this point, it's there for the taking. Hopefully, they can string together some wins and play much better football down the stretch.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 02:07 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Yes. Wildcard is not happening. But either way, unless something changes, this team isn't nearly good enough to make any noise if they even make it in the first place.

Yep.  This season has all the makings of having the Division Title fall into our laps and secure the 4 seed, only to fall flat on our asses in the WC round against whoever we may face.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 03:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Winning the division would certainly be the easiest path as it stands right now, with the West having the inside track for the wildcards right now. 

The Bengals most immediate concern is what's in front of them. They've played 5 team who had a winning record at the time they played. They are 0-4-1 in those games. If they are going to right the ship and go on any kind of roll, it has to start with beating the Giants on Monday night. 

Luckily, the division isn't that strong this year and at this point, it's there for the taking. Hopefully, they can string together some wins and play much better football down the stretch.

Besides the Browns, EVERY team the Bengals play the rest of the season has at least 4 wins.

And to be fair, the Bengals are 0-3-1 against teams with winning records. The Steelers are 4-4 now. If you want to include them, then you can also include the Dolphins who somehow have put together some very impressive games. So the Bengals would be 1-4-1. Not much better, but yeah.

Which is actually pretty crazy, because outside of Cleveland and the Jets, everyone the Bengals have played and will play have 4 wins. Only the Jets, Browns, and Bills have losing records. So that's 4 games. The other 12 games? Everyone is .500 or better.

Reply/Quote
Barring a collapse, the WC teams will both be coming out of the AFCW this season. The only AFCN team that will be in the playoffs is the one that wins the division.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 03:46 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Besides the Browns, EVERY team the Bengals play the rest of the season has at least 4 wins.

And to be fair, the Bengals are 0-3-1 against teams with winning records. The Steelers are 4-4 now. If you want to include them, then you can also include the Dolphins who somehow have put together some very impressive games. So the Bengals would be 1-4-1. Not much better, but yeah.

Which is actually pretty crazy, because outside of Cleveland and the Jets, everyone the Bengals have played and will play have 4 wins. Only the Jets, Browns, and Bills have losing records. So that's 4 games. The other 12 games? Everyone is .500 or better.

That's why I said 'at the time they played' concerning winning records. They have faced 5 teams who had a winning record when they played, and are winless in those instances. That's why I think this Giants game is a big one for them. If they can go there and beat a 5-3 team, on the road...then that would be a very good sign IMO, and maybe it get things rolling in the right direction.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I thought the Raiders would fall back to earth a bit with that leaky defense, but they convinced me (for now) with that impressive win over Denver. We need to win the division, that's all there is to it.

Side question: would we all feel better about an 8-7-1 season that ended with a playoff win? Or last season's result? Personally, I'd feel better about the playoff win, especially given our history.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 08:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah, I thought the Raiders would fall back to earth a bit with that leaky defense, but they convinced me (for now) with that impressive win over Denver. We need to win the division, that's all there is to it.

Side question: would we all feel better about an 8-7-1 season that ended with a playoff win? Or last season's result? Personally, I'd feel better about the playoff win, especially given our history.

We are a sad bunch when a single win in the POs makes us feel better. Expectations are soooooo0 low.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 08:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah, I thought the Raiders would fall back to earth a bit with that leaky defense, but they convinced me (for now) with that impressive win over Denver. We need to win the division, that's all there is to it.

I most certainly would.  Ending a 25 year drought while at the same time advancing in the playoffs more than makes up for whatever "ugly" regular season record we may have chalked up.  I'd take that any day over strutting into the postseason with a 12-4 record and a home playoff game only to once again lay a pile in front of the nation. 

Unfortunately though like I said earlier, even if this 2016 squad makes the playoffs I do not see them advancing.
Reply/Quote
I don't believe this team will make the playoffs. But yes if they do it will be by winning the Division. If they do by some miracle make it Marvin will coach up another embarrassment and we'll be bounced in the first round - again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

I am 24 years old. I have never been alive when the Bengals won a playoff games.

So, yes. I would want the playoff win.

Reply/Quote
or...

Is it bust?

[Image: th?id=OIP.Mca033fbf8b2210f6bda5f711c1511...=300&h=300]

or bust?

[Image: th?id=OIP.Md48eb592163b42e6f1edbbbbe407c...=300&h=300]

or bust of bust?

[Image: th?id=OIP.Mb1f901ed090e41ad6eb90c4cbbd3d...=300&h=300]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 08:46 PM)Derrick Wrote: We are a sad bunch when a single win in the POs makes us feel better. Expectations are soooooo0 low.

For me, it'd be a sign of progress towards a Super Bowl. That's consistently how I've always judged my team. One playoff win would be progress, so I'd be happy with that result. If we somehow win a SB, then followed it the next season with only a single playoff win, I'd be disappointed. 

(11-12-2016, 11:43 PM)JumboTron Wrote: I most certainly would.  Ending a 25 year drought while at the same time advancing in the playoffs more than makes up for whatever "ugly" regular season record we may have chalked up.  I'd take that any day over strutting into the postseason with a 12-4 record and a home playoff game only to once again lay a pile in front of the nation. 

Unfortunately though like I said earlier, even if this 2016 squad makes the playoffs I do not see them advancing.

Well said. Not only would a playoff win be progress toward the ultimate goal, it'd end the hard-to-fathom 25 year streak.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
These are the baby games that Bengal fans will be playing for the coming weeks till they tank out the rest of the season and mathematically will end the discussion for a post season.
Reply/Quote
I'm at the point where it's a toss up as to whether I want them to win every game from here on out or lose every game and pick high in next year's draft. Barely squeaking by to the PO and another 1 and done doesn't do squat. Picking 2nd to 5th or so in the draft could really bolster up the team depth.
It's hard to believe I'm already eyeballing next year's draft this early and i haven't really been paying much attention to college ball at all . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 01:40 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: We're at the halfway point and can already have an idea of the playoff picture.

What are your thoughts?
The Wild Cards Are In The AFC West......So All The Other Divisions Will Just Be The Team On Top. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
My apologies...I meant to vote that the Bengals will NOT win a wildcard, but misread the question.  I do have glasses, but I didn't put them on (I guess I am ready to be an NFL official!).

I wish the Bengals had a better shot at a wild card, but there are three teams that have seven wins in the AFC West right now.  I can't see any of them collapsing to end up with 9 wins while the Bengals go 6-2 down the stretch.  

They, amazingly, control their own fate against the division.  I think they can handle the Ratbirds, but I know pitt isn't going to keep losing...although 4 straight losses by them is pretty awesome.

:andy: Pitt Sux
Reply/Quote