Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is It OK For Civilians To Say "Hoorah"?
I think it's actually "oorah" but I'm not positive.

Anyways, one night, I'm out at my regular bar, and I'm just hanging out and socializing like normal.

This guy comes up and he's just a complete jacked-up bad-ass. Dude looked like he could have killed anyone. We get to talking and he's asking me why I'm in a wheelchair, can't talk, etc. (we talked about other things first and he asked permission if he could ask what happened, it wasn't rude or anything), and I'm just asking about him because I think soldiers are absolute bad-asses.

He starts complimenting me, was all into me (seemed a bit reserved and almost scarred, though, which is understandable), and just seemed to hang on my every word. I'm trying to find out more about him, telling him that it's bad-ass of him to serve, and how I'm allowed to be the way I am because he signed up to keep me safe.

Afterwards, I realized that maybe the reason he was so into me is because he saw in me what he signed up to fight for, to protect the little guy (I realize he's protecting everyone and that's why he signed up, but maybe seeing me out and enjoying life kind of made what he does be real.

Anyways, all that is for this question: at the end of the night, he's still complimenting me and I'm trying to do it back times ten, and he said something to me and I was at a loss for words, so I just said "hoorah," which he said back to me, but am I allowed to say that? I don't think he thought I was being disrespectful or anything, but is that something that's like sacred to the armed forces? I've never said it at any other time other than that and, like I said, he said it back and didn't seem mad, but I don't want him or anyone else thinking that I think that I'm anywhere near on the same level as a soldier.

Given the context that I said it, was it ok? Anyone know?
Reply/Quote
It is "oorah", as long as it's Marine Corps related. Just say it correctly, and if you need an example watch Jamie Foxx say it in the movie Jarhead. The Army gives a "Hoo-uhh" (think Scent of a Woman) and the Navy gives a "Hooyah".

Say em all you want. If someone gets bent out of shape they're probably just a hard on.
Reply/Quote
Freedom of speech applies to everyone in the country

Unless it offends some whiny asswipe.
Reply/Quote
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4NjjQcuXYoY
Reply/Quote
When I was in the infantry as an FO, we always used oosh-ahh. It was the sound the artillery round made as they were passing by overhead.

That said, oo-rah is most definitely a JarHead thing.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 05:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Freedom of speech applies to everyone in the country

Unless it offends some whiny asswipe.

You really don't have any intention to learn what "freedom of speech" really is, do you?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 05:54 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: It is "oorah", as long as it's Marine Corps related. Just say it correctly, and if you need an example watch Jamie Foxx say it in the movie Jarhead. The Army gives a "Hoo-uhh" (think Scent of a Woman) and the Navy gives a "Hooyah".

Say em all you want. If someone gets bent out of shape they're probably just a hard on.

Wasn't even about him getting bent out of shape because real soldiers are bad-asses who never want recognition and don't really care about things like that, but it was more about me just not wanting to say something that was sacred to them like I have any business acting like I'm on the same level as they are.

He was basically telling me that he fought for me, and he was kind of emotional about it, and I just didn't know what else to say.
Reply/Quote
Of course you CAN say it. I don't know if I would, as I'm not a member of the group of people that take pride in that making that noise. I'm sure that marines would look at you funny. Well, first they'd think that you were a disabled veteran and maybe buy you lunch, so you could be on to something.

One of my buddies was a marine. Another was a sailor. A third was in the air national guard. A fourth, like me, is a civilian. The fourth guy once called the third a "weekend warrior" because he'd heard my active duty friends say it. He got verbally assaulted for about an hour after that. I never knew that a marine and a sailor would take up for a ANG reserve guy so quickly and unrelentingly.

Point being, they are part of a brotherhood that you simply aren't part of. You can use their sayings if you'd like, but don't expect them to be fond of it.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I honestly don't have a problem people saying it to me or others, it's really not that big of a deal, especially in the context you used it ( I'd take it as a sign of respect). It's one thing to say it while being genuine, it's another to be disrespectful to someone and/or you're using it in situations like stolen valor.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 05:44 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He starts complimenting me, was all into me (seemed a bit reserved and almost scarred, though, which is understandable), and just seemed to hang on my every word. 

at the end of the night, he said something to me and I was at a loss for words, so I just said "hoorah,"

You were lucky. It is usually too early to say it the first time you meet.[Image: wub.gif]

It can be really awkward when you say it and they don't say it back. 
Reply/Quote
[Image: tumblr_lcx7psXlYf1qdubemo1_500.gif]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 11:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You were lucky.  It is usually too early to say it the first time you meet.[Image: wub.gif]

(07-28-2015, 12:04 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: [Image: tumblr_lcx7psXlYf1qdubemo1_500.gif]

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at this exchange.  LMFAO
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 10:18 AM)jgott32 Wrote: I honestly don't have a problem people saying it to me or others, it's really not that big of a deal, especially in the context you used it ( I'd take it as a sign of respect). It's one thing to say it while being genuine, it's another to be disrespectful to someone and/or you're using it in situations like stolen valor.

Was an utmost sign of respect, but the second part is exactly what I didn't want him to take it as: a sign of stolen valor or like I felt like I was on the same level as him.

If you served (sounds like you did), you're a bad-ass as well.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 11:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You were lucky.  It is usually too early to say it the first time you meet.[Image: wub.gif]

Funny shit Fred. +rep sir. 
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 04:04 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Was an utmost sign of respect, but the second part is exactly what I didn't want him to take it as: a sign of stolen valor or like I felt like I was on the same level as him.

If you served (sounds like you did), you're a bad-ass as well.
Brad what's it take to qualify as a bad ass to you? Not saying armed service isn't at least most are I'm sure all are not bad asses. I go 41/2 mile underground every night. WWould that qualify me as a bad ass?  JUST RIBBING YOU
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
So a total bad ass soldier who doesn't want any recognition approaches a total stranger and begins discussing you're the reason he serves?  That's bizarre. What did he say he did in the military?
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 12:03 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What did he say he did in the military?

Sing and dance. He's the guy on the end.....
[Image: Studio-Portrait-of-the-Vi-007.jpg]

Ninja
Reply/Quote
How much of a badass was he? That's the real question here.

Was he on Richard Sherman's level of badassery? Or was he just your average military level badass?

The world will be waiting in suspense.
Reply/Quote
Calling a Marine a soldier is much worse. Marines are warriors not soldiers. We joined the Marine Corps not the Army for a reason.
Reply/Quote
From our understanding, "Oorah" meant kill. And sometimes we substituted and just used "Kill".

And if you had a half killing machine half human as a First Sergeant like I was privileged to. He had his own saying "Errah" because he was just that big of a badass. And it was widely adopted by his company.
Reply/Quote