Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is It Really New Or Will The Past Rear Its Ugly Head?
One thing that used to drive me absolutely crazy about the Marvin Lewis era was how the team would pull off this great win and play against an inferior team the very next week only to lose, and alot of times in very bad ways.  

As banged up and bad as the Steelers were yesterday, we still went in there and took care of business on all fronts. No drama like the past, just a great team effort.

So this Thursday on a short week the Jags are flying to Cincy, and on paper this should be the easiest game we play this year(if there is such a thing in the NFL).

The question is, will this complete turnover in coaching and players win another one that everyone is expecting them to or will we see the more of the same 'ole same 'ole in a disappointing loss?

I will go with a win. I don't think Joe and Chase, let the QB rookie from Clemson come into their house and beat them, and am expecting the easiest win for them this season. Let's hope that is the case and we don't see anything less...

Your thoughts on the only national game Cincy is playing this year under the lights? Will they have turned a corner from the past or not?
Reply/Quote
Under Marvin we took care of business when we were favored as a whole..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Under Marvin we took care of business when we were favored as a whole..

not even close to true. There were so many Marvin moments I could write a book...
Reply/Quote
Have they turned a corner...that my friend is the $64,000 question

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:50 PM)GodFather Wrote: not even close to true. There were so many Marvin moments I could write a book...

Not if you look at the record against teams we were favored by.. his teams had winning g record when favored, I dont need a book it is statistically correct.
Reply/Quote
Beating Jacksonville at home won't prove we have turned the corner, though losing would prove we haven't.

Now, do better than 3-3 in the next six, and I will buy it (Jax, GB, at Det, at Bal, at NYJ, Cle).
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 06:30 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Beating Jacksonville at home won't prove we have turned the corner, though losing would prove we haven't.

Now, do better than 3-3 in the next six, and I will buy it (Jax, GB, at Det, at Bal, at NYJ, Cle).

Doable.

Reply/Quote
The reason we are 2-1 is because of the DEFENSE hands down. Not because of Burrow or Zac, but Lou and the D.

If we still had the D of the last 5 yrs, we would be 1-2 or 0-3.

The D is tackling like a wolfpack, something I was used to seeing the squeelers do to us. The last 3 plays from the squeelers (dropped passes) was intentional, Harris and the WRs didnt want to get unnecessarily tackled & injured in an already lost game.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 06:34 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Doable.

Did Marvin ever win a prime time game?
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 07:14 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Did Marvin ever win a prime time game?

Yes, several, but the three I recall the most were prime time wins against Pittsburgh, Denver, and Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:00 PM)GodFather Wrote: One thing that used to drive me absolutely crazy about the Marvin Lewis era was how the team would pull off this great win and play against an inferior team the very next week only to lose, and alot of times in very bad ways.  

As banged up and bad as the Steelers were yesterday, we still went in there and took care of business on all fronts. No drama like the past, just a great team effort.

So this Thursday on a short week the Jags are flying to Cincy, and on paper this should be the easiest game we play this year(if there is such a thing in the NFL).

The question is, will this complete turnover in coaching and players win another one that everyone is expecting them to or will we see the more of the same 'ole same 'ole in a disappointing loss?

I will go with a win. I don't think Joe and Chase, let the QB rookie from Clemson come into their house and beat them, and am expecting the easiest win for them this season. Let's hope that is the case and we don't see anything less...

Your thoughts on the only national game Cincy is playing this year under the lights? Will they have turned a corner from the past or not?

Feels different from the Marv days.

I say we win and win big. Burrow is getting his groove back.

Just don't overlook the Jags. Stop the run game, get after Lawrence and do our thing on O.

Meaning run it.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:50 PM)GodFather Wrote: not even close to true. There were so many Marvin moments I could write a book...

It's not only close to true, it is true. Our memories bias to the bad moments. Generally though, Marvin's teams beat bad opponents. It was the stronger playoff-caliber teams that held them back, which makes sense when you consider it was those teams hosting prime time games and beating them in the postseason.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 07:35 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, several, but the three I recall the most were prime time wins against Pittsburgh, Denver, and Baltimore.

From Pro Football Network.

"To say the Cincinnati Bengals have a history of collapsing under the lights is an understatement. Since 2003, the Marvin Lewis-led Bengals were 9-31 in primetime games. The Bengals’ misfortune is perhaps best summed up in the 2016 home playoff loss to Pittsburgh. Despite having the lead and the ball in Pittsburgh territory with 1:36 to go, a fumble and two bizarre personal fouls left the Bengals on the losing end, still seeking their first playoff win since 1991. The Bengals don’t just lose big games; they find creative ways to do it, each one seemingly more heartbreaking than the last."
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 08:15 PM)GodFather Wrote: From Pro Football Network.

"To say the Cincinnati Bengals have a history of collapsing under the lights is an understatement. Since 2003, the Marvin Lewis-led Bengals were 9-31 in primetime games. The Bengals’ misfortune is perhaps best summed up in the 2016 home playoff loss to Pittsburgh. Despite having the lead and the ball in Pittsburgh territory with 1:36 to go, a fumble and two bizarre personal fouls left the Bengals on the losing end, still seeking their first playoff win since 1991. The Bengals don’t just lose big games; they find creative ways to do it, each one seemingly more heartbreaking than the last."

Yeah, we should all know this by now...

I think this might change this year though.

We win 11 games and a Playoff game for once as long as Zac doesn't be a saboteur.
Reply/Quote
I'd say this team is going to have many ups and downs this season.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 08:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd say this team is going to have many ups and downs this season.

Tough Division with the Browns and Ravens and our schedule sure isn't easy. Could be.

This Defense looks good though.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 08:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd say this team is going to have many ups and downs this season.

Zac could really kill some games... so yeah I can see this happening.

I hope to hell I'm wrong about Taylor.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 07:35 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, several, but the three I recall the most were prime time wins against Pittsburgh, Denver, and Baltimore.

I sat behind Barry Larkin and Ken Griffey Jr in I wanna say 2004. It was a primetime game vs Miami. Really only memorable because of where I was seated, but I'm also pretty sure we won that night.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 06:34 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Doable.

Agreed. But we will have to beat one legit good team (GB, at Bal, Cle) to do it without losing to a poor team (Jax, at Det, at NYJ).  

We already lost one game we should have won (Chicago with Dalton hurt), nearly Bungled away the opener, and didn't score in the last 20 minutes vs Pittsburgh (did we even get a first down in the 4th?). 

EDIT: we did not get another first down after going up 24-7.

Without a couple friendly calls (Minny fumble recovery & Pitt roughing on Burrow) we could be 0-3. 
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 08:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Agreed. But we will have to beat one legit good team (GB, at Bal, Cle) to do it without losing to a poor team (Jax, at Det, at NYJ).  

We already lost one game we should have won (Chicago with Dalton hurt), nearly Bungled away the opener, and didn't score in the last 20 minutes vs Pittsburgh (did we even get a first down in the 4th?). 

EDIT: we did not get another first down after going up 24-7.

Without a couple friendly calls (Minny fumble recovery & Pitt roughing on Burrow) we could be 0-3. 

We should be 3-0 if Logan Wilson was able to scoop and score too.

Coulda woulda shoulda....
Reply/Quote