Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is It Time?
First off, this needs to be said. Who Dey! Good win, gotta love 8-0.

That said, maybe it's time to finally make Gio the starter?
Hill: 104 Carries at 3.3 YPC
Gio: 91 Carries at 5.6 YPC

Gio is on pace for more than 1,300 total yards as a backup this year. Maybe it's time to let him carry a heavier workload and let him try to shine? When the weather starts getting terrible, leaning on Hill's 3.3 YPC isn't going to be the answer. If Gio keeps performing anywhere close to what he's been doing thus far, he has a chance to join the top RBs in the league.

Gio is 13th in rushing yards so far this year and the only person above him who also has at least 5.0 YPC is Gurley.

We as Bengals fans have focused on Dalton's improvements (for good reason, he should be in the top 3-5 MVP candidates) but we haven't payed nearly enough attention to the huge strides Gio has taken in his game.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
They showed a stat last night that in order to gain the first positive yard Gio travels just over three yards, the best in the league. Hill was well over five yards to gain that first positive yard. It has been debated ad nauseum, but I think that really shows that Hill is not exploding through the hole... he is dancing way too much. I paid close attention after the stat was posted last night, and even when he gets to the second level, he is still stopping and stuttering... he does not seem like the same back as last year.
Reply/Quote
I don't care who starts. But I think they still need to keep splitting the carries. Keep Gio fresh for the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 03:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: First off, this needs to be said. Who Dey! Good win, gotta love 8-0.

Gio is on pace for more than 1,300 total yards as a backup this year. Maybe it's time to let him carry a heavier workload and let him try to shine? When the weather starts getting terrible, leaning on Hill's 3.3 YPC isn't going to be the answer. If Gio keeps performing anywhere close to what he's been doing thus far, he has a chance to join the top RBs in the league.

Gio is 13th in rushing yards so far this year and the only person above him who also has at least 5.0 YPC is Gurley.

We as Bengals fans have focused on Dalton's improvements (for good reason, he should be in the top 3-5 MVP candidates) but we haven't payed nearly enough attention to the huge strides Gio has taken in his game.

When Hill got over 20 carries, he never got less than 100 yards.  He hasn't had over 20 carries all season.  Something tells me we will need him later in the year when it gets cold.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 04:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't care who starts.  But I think they still need to keep splitting the carries.  Keep Gio fresh for the playoffs.

Obviously what they are doing is working well.  I would like to see more explosiveness out of Hill though.
Reply/Quote
Neither is a starter :)

I say don't try to fix what isn't broken!
Reply/Quote
It has to be a certain "bell cow" mentality that rules this decision, right? It is believed that Hill is the more powerful runner...the blunter instrument with which to hammer softness into a defense?

Right now Hill basically keeps them honest. That's all; word on the street is Hill is the guy, so Hill's the guy. In that sense it should stay that way. That's the AFCN pedigree: power back. (That's also why I tend to favor a true FB over a hybrid TE, but Hewitt makes his case fairly well.)

So no. Kinda walked it through there, sorry. No, it is not time.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 04:07 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: When Hill got over 20 carries, he never got less than 100 yards.  He hasn't had over 20 carries all season.  Something tells me we will need him later in the year when it gets cold.  

This seems to be the case in my mind also.

The rotation has been great.
When it gets colder expect a shift to Hill and his hopefully fresh legs.
Reply/Quote
It's just that Hill isn't as good running out of shotgun. We didn't have Eifert or Jones last year so we had much more of a power running I-form offense. This year with all the passing weapons back we are obviously running more plays without Hewitt. I mean we are 8-0 so it's not like it's been a disaster, but I would like to see a few more plays suited to Hill's style, get his confidence up and help burn off time when we have a lead.

Reply/Quote
Hill is taking unnecessary steps. Instead of hitting the hole in front of him, he's trying to turn every run into a 20 yarder.
He's taking bad cuts in the open field and getting tackled.

He's in a sophomore slump like Gio was last year
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 04:23 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Neither is a starter :)

I say don't try to fix what isn't broken!

Pretty much this.  Nothing needs to change.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 04:56 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Hill is taking unnecessary steps. Instead of hitting the hole in front of him, he's trying to turn every run into a 20 yarder.
He's taking bad cuts in the open field and getting tackled.

He's in a sophomore slump like Gio was last year

Bengals.com made Hill walk through ol' #28's 278-yard game for an article early in the season. Ran him through a play-by-play of it.

Bastards! 
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 03:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: First off, this needs to be said. Who Dey! Good win, gotta love 8-0.

They're splitting time pretty evenly and I think they should continue to.  Hill is better than this, he'll step it up.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 04:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't care who starts.  But I think they still need to keep splitting the carries.  Keep Gio fresh for the playoffs.
This. The team you put on the field when the game is on the line is more important than who starts. How long has Many Ginobli been one of the most important players in basketball without being a starter? Starts are nothing.
Reply/Quote
its time

[Image: it_s_time_it_s_time_it_s_vader_time_____...7fwv0c.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 05:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: its time

[Image: it_s_time_it_s_time_it_s_vader_time_____...7fwv0c.jpg]

Legitimately one of the most underrated and underused wrestlers of the time
Reply/Quote

Hill is the type of runner who needs 20 to 25 carries a game to be the most effective. Alternating backs just doesn't play to his strengths, which is wearing down defenses.

We'll continue with the splitting the carries.

Reply/Quote
I think Gio would probably take offense to all this bullshit "when it gets colder, Hill will be better than him" talk. Gio is a clear cut better back and they BOTH benefit from only playing half a game, it doesn't just work in Gio's favor..excuses. Gio is near top of the league in key categories.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It's not broke no need to fix it.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 09:45 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I think Gio would probably take offense to all this bullshit "when it gets colder, Hill will be better than him" talk. Gio is a clear cut better back and they BOTH benefit from only playing half a game, it doesn't just work in Gio's favor..excuses. Gio is near top of the league in key categories.

He wasn't clear cut better last year.  He's basically performing in the role he's always performed in, which is as a change of pace back.  Whenever Hill's gotten a full workload, he has produced.  
Reply/Quote