Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is It Time for the Bengals to Go All In?
Cincinnati has a young, exciting core that just came close to a Super Bowl win. But it won’t spend the way other franchises do, and the reasons are complicated.

Article:
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/8/26/23322679/cincinnati-bengals-all-in-joe-burrow-jamarr-chase
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 10:16 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Cincinnati has a young, exciting core that just came close to a Super Bowl win. But it won’t spend the way other franchises do, and the reasons are complicated.

Article:
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/8/26/23322679/cincinnati-bengals-all-in-joe-burrow-jamarr-chase

After reading article, i would reword your statement to :

Cincinnati has a young, exciting core that just came close to a Super Bowl win but unlike other franchises that might go with the "all in " strategy they want to keep that young core longer so go with "rebuying" strategy...
Reply/Quote
Is wish we had a LG and better depth on the Oline. I'm all for going all in on that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 10:32 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Is wish we had a LG and better depth on the Oline. I'm all for going all in on that.

I think every team wishes it had 5 quality starters and most don;t and depth across the board behind them i don;t think any team has that.... been stated before but Oline in the NFL seems to be the position with the least amount of quality starters especially at Tackle and have the worst depth in the league... though QB backups sure look thin too.  That does not mean we will stand pat, but the quality is not good out there and at what cost especially for a starter.. as for depth changes on the roster might happen but again those players are cuts too which then lead to question marks and now they have to learn a new system in a short amount of time.
Reply/Quote
Yes.

This year and next year are their prime window. If 2022 is anything like 2021 (or better) then Burrow is going to get $55m/yr before the 2023 season. If the same applies to Chase over the next 2 years, he will get $40m/yr (before the 2024 season, Jefferson is about to reset the top WR market next offseason).

Even with the expected quick rise of the salary cap with all the next deal money pouring in, it's still going to be a significantly larger % of the cap for those two than it currently is. The roster will have to be reworked. That's not even touching on if they try to keep Higgins too.

It's not often you have a QB and two great young WRs under contract for a combined average of ~$19m/yr. You need to take advantage of that while you can.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think they are right where they need to be. Unlike a lot of teams on the extreme end of going all in, they've retained basically all of their draft capital while continuing to address weaknesses on the roster through FA. The FAs they are bringing in aren't the dumpster dive signings of old, either.

I suppose it would be nice to get a high end LG or interior d-lineman to shoe things up. On the other hand, I fell pretty strongly that the best practice for roster building is still utilizing the ability to develop talent in-house while it's still affordable.

Could we replace a Volson with a bigger name? Could they pay money for a guy like Suh on the open market? I guess. I'd rather take some time to see if players like Carter and Volson can get the job done and perhaps even become major franchise building blocks in time.

Maybe next year there will be a glaring need that they will have an opportunity to acquire in FA, and I'm good with it if they go that route. I just want to see youth get a chance to prove out. If they can't develop drafted talent, then long term success in the Burrow era is a mirage.

The free agent game is a supplemental tool that needs to be used wisely to build a roster. It's not the primary means of talent acquisition, and it definitely doesn't take precedent over in-house development.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 10:32 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Is wish we had a LG and better depth on the Oline. I'm all for going all in on that.

So I'm pretty adamant about the trade deadline being a big part of being "all in".  Its not all about final cuts and remaining FA vets.  Our plan is hoping these young players earn these roles.  We want them succeed, but if they do not, we are trying to win a ring. 

Players can develop, but odds are we aren't going to be where we want to be by say week 4 or 5.  So, do you keep hoping, or can you honestly watch the post season tape and say this won't happen again because we have a plan?

We have a little bit of money to spend this year, we better be willing to give up a draft pick to plug a hole.  Such a move last year may have won you a ring.  Let that be motivation to add weapons to go to war with and win it all. When a bad team is offering their capable LG on an expiring deal for a 5th rd pick, do it. That isn't affecting future money, get over yourself and even if Volson/whoever wins a job we need insurance especially at swing tackle.  
Reply/Quote
I think it's definitely time to go all in. It's good Volson won the job but I'm not sold on him and team shouldn't be either. As people have pointed out Burrow may never have the WR talent that he has right now again so why not go above and beyond on the protection. Whoever you signed most likely isn't staring week 1 and even if Volson plays well there are bound to be injuries and that player will contribute. I just don't like the idea of lining Volson up against Cam Heyward week 1 and crossing your fingers. If he plays solid great but what if he struggles what's the plan.

I get the save money idea but if we have the season we want Burrow and Chase are gonna reset the market. So no matter what your gonna struggle a bit financially. I don't think resigning Higgins will be realistic. The fans are doing there part 64 thousand + for a snooze fest preseason game. Finish this thing off with an OL addition and maybe a DT if they think they need to and pack the house. Who Dey!!!
Reply/Quote
We've gone "All In" the last couple years. We've brought some great talent into this team.

The Oline reminds me of the Hoosiers movie with the fans chanting: "We want Quinton":

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 11:57 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I think it's definitely time to go all in. It's good Volson won the job but I'm not sold on him and team shouldn't be either. As people have pointed out Burrow may never have the WR talent that he has right now again so why not go above and beyond on the protection. Whoever you signed most likely isn't staring week 1 and even if Volson plays well there are bound to be injuries and that player will contribute. I just don't like the idea of lining Volson up against Cam Heyward week 1 and crossing your fingers. If he plays solid great but what if he struggles what's the plan.

I get the save money idea but if we have the season we want Burrow and Chase are gonna reset the market. So no matter what your gonna struggle a bit financially. I don't think resigning Higgins will be realistic. The fans are doing there part 64 thousand + for a snooze fest preseason game. Finish this thing off with an OL addition and maybe a DT if they think they need to and pack the house. Who Dey!!!

I predict they grab  one of the better G available soon before week 1...that competition at G to me didnt show clear cut winner and we cant be taking chances right now..... while the window is there to go back to SB. 
Reply/Quote
Simply put, we gotta be careful what we think "all in" is. We had this topic in the offseason, comparing the spending and picks that the Rams did. I mentioned the trade deadline as a realistic price vs the unrealistic Rams model.

It's more than debating if Volson is "good enough" to start at LG, this team has no proven depth on the OL. We also may not have enough players step up to help Hendrickson in consistent pass rush. We may get corners dinged up, ect... Bank on this being a year where this forum is heated at an unprecedented level close to the trade deadline, it's up to the FO to put us over the edge. They've done a truly great job, but "all in" is yet to come.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 10:16 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Cincinnati has a young, exciting core that just came close to a Super Bowl win. But it won’t spend the way other franchises do, and the reasons are complicated.

Article:

How do we not spend the way other franchises do? Have you been asleep the last couple of years? As far as LG, we haven't seen Cordell line up between Jonah and Ted. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 11:57 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I think it's definitely time to go all in. It's good Volson won the job but I'm not sold on him and team shouldn't be either. As people have pointed out Burrow may never have the WR talent that he has right now again so why not go above and beyond on the protection. Whoever you signed most likely isn't staring week 1 and even if Volson plays well there are bound to be injuries and that player will contribute. I just don't like the idea of lining Volson up against Cam Heyward week 1 and crossing your fingers. If he plays solid great but what if he struggles what's the plan.

Not saying he won;t but Chase has to put together a solid year this year to backup last year especially if Higgins has even a better year this year. that would really be interesting decision if Chase goes back and Higgins goes up this year to what to do with Higgins?
Reply/Quote
The window is open as long as Burrow is on the team. So no I don't think going all in is necessary but they have to be smart in the future and continue to draft well. For example don't let your stars leave for free.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The teams that are perceived to go “all in” are usually willing to trade high end talent for draft picks a year before a contract expires and similarly are willing to get rid of draft picks to take in players that might only have one year left in their contract to fill gaps in their roster. There is a price to pay for this, which is that you are constantly redlining your salary cap.

I think this front office has made huge steps in free agency over the last 3 years. But I don’t think that they are willing to treat draft picks/contracts in this manner… and I don’t think they are willing to continuously redline their salary cap.

They have seen some success being mostly conservative and picking moments to get aggressive. I suspect that will reinforce their current methods. I think that they can continue to have some success, but fans will be upset that they haven’t gone “all in” like other teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
You need to read the entire article. The first part sounds a bit like an anti-Bengals rant but the second part explains that this is all about Cash (not net worth or valuation) and the NFL's bizarre Funding Rule. Understand that rule then look at the franchise's cash flow against expenses and their strategy suddenly makes a lot more sense.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 12:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We've gone "All In" the last couple years. We've brought some great talent into this team.

The Oline reminds me of the Hoosiers movie with the fans chanting: "We want Quinton":

You're mistaking operating like a normal NFL team that actually participates in Free Agency with "All In".

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 02:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You're mistaking operating like a normal NFL team that actually participates in Free Agency with "All In".

If you say so. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 12:58 PM)maclanta Wrote: The teams that are perceived to go “all in” are usually willing to trade high end talent for draft picks a year before a contract expires and similarly are willing to get rid of draft picks to take in players that might only have one year left in their contract to fill gaps in their roster. There is a price to pay for this, which is that you are constantly redlining your salary cap.

I think this front office has made huge steps in free agency over the last 3 years. But I don’t think that they are willing to treat draft picks/contracts in this manner… and I don’t think they are willing to continuously redline their salary cap.  

They have seen some success being mostly conservative and picking moments to get aggressive. I suspect that will reinforce their current methods. I think that they can continue to have some success, but fans will be upset that they haven’t gone “all in” like other teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This posts makes some good points.

I am not willing to trade away future high draft picks to go "all in".

But, on the other hand, we are in a very unique situation where we are set up with huge stars still on their rookie contracts.  So I am 100% willing for us to spend all of our cap space in order to win this year.  We need to add players to our O-line.  I don't trust our starter at LG or our back ups at OT.

We still have a lot of cap space.  We need to win now.  No one wants to imagine the worst, but Joe Burrow could end up being another Greg Cook story.  We don't know what the future holds so we need to win now.
Reply/Quote
Fact:The Bengals organization did not go all in on the Offensive line.This is ALL they needed to do to go back to the SB and win it.Plain and simple.It doesn’t take an expert to figure that out.It’s not that they haven’t tried over the past several years to fix this problem,but they’ve been unsuccessful for obvious reasons.The depth to this OL is terrible.An injury or two,and you’re right back where you were last year.Hopefully everybody stays healthy.

When Mike Brown gets involved,bad things happen.
Reply/Quote