Poll: Is jonah the long term solution at left tackle
Yes
No
Unsure
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Jonah the long term option at LT?
I legitimately don’t know myself, and am curious what everyone thinks.

Do we have a better option?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think the guy's knees will allow him to stay on the field.
Reply/Quote
A metal folding chair would be a cheaper option. It would have the same mobility.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
No. He’s not going anywhere next year though, but I don’t see them extending him for anything major. He was uplifted because of how bad our o-line has been, but prior to all the injuries, you could argue he was bottom 2 on the o-line.
Reply/Quote
I hope so. Folks want to erect statues of Karras yet he has a rating of 1 point higher than Jonah and Jonah has fought through injury this year.

When totally healthy last year dude was borderline elite.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:16 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I hope so. Folks want to erect statues of Karras yet he has a rating of 1 point higher than Jonah and Jonah has fought through injury this year.

No, no he wasn't. And he was healthy to start the year and played terrible. At no point in his career has he been close to elite. At best he's been in above average range and that was last year. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:29 AM)TheFan Wrote: No, no he wasn't. And he was healthy to start the year and played terrible. At no point in his career has he been close to elite. At best he's been in above average range and that was last year. 

OK

Reply/Quote
He's still pretty young (turned 25 in November) so I'm not ready to give up on him just yet but next year is his last chance to prove he can be solid. I do think we absolutely MUST draft or sign another tackle because the odds of La'el and him being healthy for 17+ games is minimal. That is assuming La'el can even continue playing.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Got to save money somewhere on the team. If we can pay him what I feel like he's worth that would be nice. Assuming he plays decent like he does when he's healthy.
Reply/Quote
He just gives up way too many sacks. Keep looking for a franchise LT.
Reply/Quote
A few weeks ago, Dehner and Morrison mentioned that Jonah probably wouldn't get any sort of extension. Apparently the FO/coaches feel like they're not getting what they expected out of the 11th overall pick. 

I expect an OT to be drafted in the earlier rounds in the next draft. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:52 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: He just gives up way too many sacks. Keep looking for a franchise LT.

He does give up a lot of sacks, but he doesn't commit penalties. The most penalties he's ever committed in a year is 4. 

If he committed 5 fewer sacks this year but committed 5 more holding calls would you rank him higher?

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:16 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I hope so. Folks want to erect statues of Karras yet he has a rating of 1 point higher than Jonah and Jonah has fought through injury this year.

But that’s the problem - he’s made through a full season healthy once in 4 years.

Borderline elite is also a bit of a stretch.

Reply/Quote
Williams gave up 10 sacks last year and 13 so far this year. What makes anyone believe he will somehow get better next season? If he hasnt shown improvement through 4 years, I doubt he is suddenly going to be much better in his 5th year.

Instead of paying Williams over 12 milllion next year, the team would be better off using that money to go after a good free agent LT. The problem is I think since we picked up Williams 5th year option that contract is guaranteed for 12.6 million so we cant cut Williams or we take on the full 12.6 million cap hit. If we could find some team that wants to trade for him, we can avoid all of the cap hit.

I would also get rid of Mixon before next year. He doesnt offer anything we cant find at a much cheaper price. If you cut him or trade him after June 1 2023 you have a dead cap hit of close to 3 million but you get an overall cap savings of 10 million. You could use Jonah Williams 12.6 million plus part of Mixons 10 million savings to get a pretty good LT.
Reply/Quote
He is average at best, we simply must get an above average guy to man the LT spot in the coming years! I am all for going after an OT in this years 1-2 rds, We have to have better bookends, especially cheap ones to maintain our talented core who are coming up on extentions
Reply/Quote
Jonah Williams. The Andy Dalton of left tackles.

I’d be fine with keeping him if he wants a middle of the road contract. He’s certainly not bad overall. He’s good, but has some issues with strength and arm length
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:55 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: A few weeks ago, Dehner and Morrison mentioned that Jonah probably wouldn't get any sort of extension. Apparently the FO/coaches feel like they're not getting what they expected out of the 11th overall pick. 

I expect an OT to be drafted in the earlier rounds in the next draft. 

I assume they are referring to after next season. His 5th year option has already declared, so he has been "extended" one more year...

I think the guy would probably a fantastic guard, but him on an island and with those knees....?

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:37 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I assume they are referring to after next season. His 5th year option has already declared, so he has been "extended" one more year...

I think the guy would probably a fantastic guard, but him on an island and with those knees....?

That is what they were talking about. Drafting a potential replacement this year to take over in 2024.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I felt that grabbing his fifth year option was a mistake then and I haven't seen anything since to change my mind.

I had kind of hoped that he would have moved to Guard but he's not strong enough and I've already mentioned that he's never been in top shape as a Bengal. No shock to me that he's injury prone.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:45 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: That is what they were talking about. Drafting a potential replacement this year to take over in 2024.

We almost have to dont we?

Reply/Quote