Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is MB Cheap really?
(09-02-2019, 02:37 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Can you imagine coming from Oregon university or Norte Dane or any of the top programs to the Bengals where the facilities are not half as good as the college teams. Embarrassing. Brown has never signed a big time free agent, still not practice ability but yeah he’s not “cheap”. Same people that defend this are the ones expecting Bengals to the super bowl this year.

The one thing we do supposedly have that is top notch is our weight room. Or so I hear...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 01:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Your reading comprehension needs work. I AGREED with you. He’s cheap.

The question mark was supposed to be a 100% my bad.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 01:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And the disparity in number of scouts compared to other teams.

He’s cheap. Let’s be honest. This thread was probably well intentioned, but it feels like a spin job...

This isnt the 80s and 90s anymore. 

You dont have to send out a bunch of scouts to watch games because they are all online now. It doesnt take 15 scouts to sit in a room and watch game film it just takes a few good scouts.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 02:53 PM)Synric Wrote: This isnt the 80s and 90s anymore. 

You dont have to send out a bunch of scouts to watch games because they are all online now. It doesnt take 15 scouts to sit in a room and watch game film it just takes a few good scouts.

Will we ever get one of those good scouts?

Hell we can have 1 scout for all I care as long as he is good. 

Good scouts don't draft Ced, and Fisher and Ross...

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote

Guess you'd better relay that news flash to actual NFL front offices.  

The Eagles have an 18 person scouting department.  The Chiefs have about a dozen personnel people on staff.  The Saints have 18 as well.  The Rams have a whopping 23, and their scouts have assistants to boot.  

The Pats are an exception, with 8 listed.  I'd say their system is so ingrained that maybe they don't need a ton of people to tell them what they want in a player.  Unlike the Bengals, their track record probably buys them some leeway in terms of having a lean staff.  I doubt much goes on in that organization that isn't managed by BB either way,

Even so, the Bengals have even fewer, with a hell of a lot less success to justify having such a minuscule amount of manpower devoted to player evaluation.  
Reply/Quote

Then why do so many other teams still have so many more? I don’t see how it can hurt. Except in Mike’s wallet...

And we obviously don’t have the few good ones we need considering we’ve had 3 losing seasons in a row.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 01:53 PM)McC Wrote: What OL or LB's who were available should they have signed?  

Uggh at OT and LB there were plenty of upgrades in FA.

Darryl williams 
Roger saffold
Trent brown
Juwan james
Matt paradis
Mitch morse
Jordan hicks
Kj wright
Zach brown
Cj mosely
Kwon alexander

Thats just off the top of my head im sure that there is a quite a few more guys that are better than vigil/preston and hart/miller/john jerry.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 03:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Then why do so many other teams still have so many more? I don’t see how it can hurt. Except in Mike’s wallet...

And we obviously don’t have the few good ones we need considering we’ve had 3 losing seasons in a row.

It’s gonna be 4 seasons in a row. Anyway we can steal some of the Chiefs, Steelers Rams scouts.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 04:29 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Uggh at OT and LB there were plenty of upgrades in FA.

Darryl williams 
Roger saffold
Trent brown
Juwan james
Matt paradis
Mitch morse
Jordan hicks
Kj wright
Zach brown
Cj mosely
Kwon alexander

Thats just off the top of my head im sure that there is a quite a few more guys that are better than vigil/preston and hart/miller/john jerry.

Williams was never really in play.  He re-signed with the team he was already on.  Saffold is a G.  Were we really looking at G's?  Did you really want to pay Brown 16 mil a year?  Or James, coming off an injury almost 13 mil a year? 

Paradis is a C and we just spent a first rounder on one last year.  Morse, also a C.

Hicks would have probably been worthwhile.  KJ Wright stayed in Seattle.  Brown, maybe.  Mosely?  At that price?  You jest.

Alexander?  Coming off a torn ACL in week 6.  When will he be ready to play?  13 mil a year?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
We have about 1/2 to 1/3 the player personnel/scouting staff of most teams in the league. That doesn't show up on the salary cap.

I lean towards that being one of the main issues of our not winning a playoff game in 28+ years.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 05:39 PM)McC Wrote: Williams was never really in play.  He re-signed with the team he was already on.  Saffold is a G.  Were we really looking at G's?  Did you really want to pay Brown 16 mil a year?  Or James, coming off an injury almost 13 mil a year? 

Paradis is a C and we just spent a first rounder on one last year.  Morse, also a C.

Hicks would have probably been worthwhile.  KJ Wright stayed in Seattle.  Brown, maybe.  Mosely?  At that price?  You jest.

Alexander?  Coming off a torn ACL in week 6.  When will he be ready to play?  13 mil a year?

LJ Fort is a guy I would have targeted at LB.

Agree that Kwon was overpaid for his production and injury history.

Hicks would have been nice. He also is injured a decent bit.
Reply/Quote
He is cheap in the front office and although he spends near the cap each year he does not fully utilize the capabilities in cap management that other teams do. This team is built to make an annual amount, it could make much more more but it would have to spend more and invest in the team brand. He will not do that, clearly. This team is also not built with the goal of winning a SB. It is built to earn the family income. It is plain, simple and obvious.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 05:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: LJ Fort is a guy I would have targeted at LB.

Agree that Kwon was overpaid for his production and injury history.

Hicks would have been nice. He also is injured a decent bit.

It's telling about how thin the gruel was in Free Agency this year when LJ Fort is considered someone to target (what with his 83 tackles in 8 seasons and all). 

All things being equal between Free Agency and the draft we did some decent work on the OL. Miller is rather better than Redmond was and Jordan  likewise better than the gimped Boling we had last season (and he finally had to retire due to injury). Strangely enough Hart did look better in both camp and preseason so far and both Price and Hopkins likewise look better. 

LB is still a concern area and I really do not expect them to stay at only 4 - even if they just raid Practice Squads I expect them to add at least one more.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 06:42 PM)Joelist Wrote: It's telling about how thin the gruel was in Free Agency this year when LJ Fort is considered someone to target (what with his 83 tackles in 8 seasons and all). 

All things being equal between Free Agency and the draft we did some decent work on the OL. Miller is rather better than Redmond was and Jordan  likewise better than the gimped Boling we had last season (and he finally had to retire due to injury). Strangely enough Hart did look better in both camp and preseason so far and both Price and Hopkins likewise look better. 

LB is still a concern area and I really do not expect them to stay at only 4 - even if they just raid Practice Squads I expect them to add at least one more.

He was generally a backup in Pittsburgh...who played well as a starter. Instead of paying a LB $15 million a year...those are the types of guys you got to find.

I'm not so sure that Jordan is better than Boling.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 06:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He was generally a backup in Pittsburgh...who played well as a starter. Instead of paying a LB $15 million a year...those are the types of guys you got to find.

I'm not so sure that Jordan is better than Boling.

Boling in his prime maybe not yet...Boling as we had last year with the injuries that forced his retirement? Definitely.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 07:22 PM)Joelist Wrote: Boling in his prime maybe not yet...Boling as we had last year with the injuries that forced his retirement? Definitely.

Boling 2 years ago was our best lineman. Last year, he definitely declined.
Reply/Quote
It isn’t that he is cheap but runs the organization like it was 1976 again. The guy has never grown with the NFL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
They take free agents to Wendy's and ration deodorant. Ki-Jana Carter had to buy towels for guys to shower with because they used really small ones.

Those things are the definition of cheap.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 08:01 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: It isn’t that he is cheap but runs the organization like it was 1976 again.  The guy has never grown with the NFL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(09-02-2019, 09:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They take free agents to Wendy's and ration deodorant. Ki-Jana Carter had to buy towels for guys to shower with because they used really small ones.

Those things are the definition of cheap.

Pistons that was quite some time ago to be fair.

Bronx is more in my line of thought.

Brown is a dinosaur in the NFL for his logic/actions and only people pointing to the ZT hiring as edgy will chime in to say otherwise.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 02:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The one thing we do supposedly have that is top notch is our weight room. Or so I hear...

Also one of few teams in NFL that have own MRI machine on site at PBS.. That is not cheap by no means.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote