Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Manziel the starting QB for the Browns this year?
(06-13-2015, 11:44 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: My good friend is a big time Browns fan. He still wanted Hoyer as the QB. He says if Manzel starts, he will be disappointed. I told him to drink some beers to feel better.

haha

Hoyer isn't much better. The whole QB situation in Cleveland looks terrible.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2015, 07:04 PM)magikod Wrote: haha

Hoyer isn't much better. The whole QB situation in Cleveland looks terrible.

Right. I'm not so much pro-Manziel as I am anti-McCown.

I think Manziel is a doosh just like anyone else, but if I were a Browns fan, I'd rather roll the dice on Manziel than go with the guy who is proven to suck.

It's probably going to be a bad situation either way, but at least Manziel might have some upside. Emphasis on "might" and "some".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This was on Rotoworld.

Quote:ESPN Browns reporter Pat McManamon said Johnny Manziel fumbled three snaps in a span of six plays at Tuesday's practice.

All of his fumbles came in the shotgun formation. Manziel seems to have gotten his personal life under control but on the football field he's still having trouble grasping basic concepts. The Browns haven't ruled out the idea of starting Manziel, but at this point, he just doesn't have the chops to compete with Josh McCown. Jun 16 - 1:28 PM

Source:
Pat McManamon on Twitter
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 12:49 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Right. I'm not so much pro-Manziel as I am anti-McCown.

I think Manziel is a doosh just like anyone else, but if I were a Browns fan, I'd rather roll the dice on Manziel than go with the guy who is proven to suck.

It's probably going to be a bad situation either way, but at least Manziel might have some upside. Emphasis on "might" and "some".

I hear ya, but I honestly think there may be a better chance McCown pulls a 2013 run out of thin air (as in, 1 in a gazillion) then Manziel becomes a productive QB.  Basically, I feel like either guy being good is going to be like hitting the lottery so I'll go with the guy who managed to end 2013 with a QBR of 109 and the one who put up a 4 TD 0 INT 147 QBR game to end 2014 over the one who can't catch a snap in the shotgun formation.

McCown...not likely to be good, but I don't see why he's less deserving of the optimism the Browns gave Manziel (at one point) or Hoyer.  The guy's resume is just better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
McClown and the Clowns. lol
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Manziel through 2 games: 21/39, 354 yards, 3 TDs to 1 INT, 99.7 rating.

Like I said, you let the young (and talented - he was a 1st round pick for a reason) QB start and play to his strengths.

McCown had 1 good season in his entire career and it was quite clearly a fluke.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
They need to stick to Manziel.  He's gonna be a lot like Tebow.  He'll pull some shit out of his ass, but it won't be sustainable. They'll figure that out, then reach for (and ruin) another QB next year.  Hokunamatada...  It's the Cleveland Browns Circle of Life.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think that Pettine will go back to McCown.

He shouldnt but he will. And the Browns will have wasted another year seeing about Manziel.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 01:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Manziel through 2 games: 21/39, 354 yards, 3 TDs to 1 INT, 99.7 rating.

Like I said, you let the young (and talented - he was a 1st round pick for a reason) QB start and play to his strengths.

McCown had 1 good season in his entire career and it was quite clearly a fluke.

Plus Manziel sells tickets.

If the Browns were a good team with McCowan then I may stick with him, but they are going nowhere unless Johnny pulls some magic out his ass every once in a while.  So go ahead and play him.  He needs the game experience anyway.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 01:48 PM)jason Wrote: They need to stick to Manziel.  He's gonna be a lot like Tebow.  He'll pull some shit out of his ass, but it won't be sustainable. They'll figure that out, then reach for (and ruin) another QB next year.  Hokunamatada...  It's the Cleveland Browns Circle of Life.

You may be right, but I think it's better for them to find out about Manziel than to roll with the known turd McCown.

He probably won't be able to maintain this level of play, but who knows?
Reply/Quote
You kinda have to play Johnny now right? No matter the quarterback the outlook doesn't look good this year, so find out if you have to draft a QB with your first pick next year. You know McCown isn't taking you there, find out if Johnny can develop into a serviceable starter.
Reply/Quote
There's no reason not to go with Manziel now. The question early was, is he able to make NFL Quarterback plays. His pocket play is still a question mark but his ability to get out of the pocket and make something happen is a plus for them. Roethlisberger made a career out of getting out of the pocket and making plays. There have been a couple references to Tebow. Manziel is nothing like Tebow. He can actually throw a pass accurately.

If they're smart, they'll keep him in and see how he develops. But it's the browns. They don't do anything the smart way.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Flopzel actually had a few good passes last week. Still, notice he did not do his money routine. McCown will get the start this week if he is healthy. The Browns will stick with Manziel only if he sells tickets.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
What are the Browns' options? Play McCown and hope he returns to his 2013 form or play Manziel and hope he doesn't return to 2014 form?
Reply/Quote