Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Manziel the starting QB for the Browns this year?
(05-31-2015, 09:14 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Dude is a total head case and the players have no confidence in him.  I'd cut bate and go with McCown for this season.  Not sure why they totally gave up on Hoyer.  I thought I saw a few flashes in him.  Granted he was raw, but that almost goes without saying in this discussion of the 'turnstile' that is the Brown's QB situation.

I'm not saying Johnny Fartball was/is the answer, but the Browns were still in playoff contention when Hoyer decided to stink for a month straight.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Flopzel will probably be the starter for the Clowns this year. Then, another QB will replace him after he gets benched. Instead of show me the money he should do a routine called show me the door.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
He should be, honestly. How do you justify using an old career backup (Josh McCown) over a 1st round pick from just last year?

I don't like Manziel, but the situation is ridiculous. If they wanted a game manager, why'd they take the king of improv in the first place?

The Browns are a talented team at every spot but QB. I'd put Manziel in and let him play to his strengths.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 12:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I agree with this. If you take a guy 22nd, you have to play him even if it's to prove he can't do the job.

They shouldn't have taken him in the first place. Now they're stuck with him and they get to suffer until he proves he's a bust. As a Bengals fan, that makes me smile.  Big Grin
I love the fact that they wasted more picks on him to trade up to get him when he most likely would have fallen to them in the next round anyways.  

I think even Johnny 8-Ball knew that because why would you beg the Browns to trade up to take you?  

I love that McCown just came out and said "there's no competition, the job is mine."  
(05-25-2015, 02:55 PM)jason Wrote: I think that lil **** smack could have some success over a short period of time if the Browns play to what little strengths that he has.  This all depends on whether or not he actually knows the playbook this season.... And it will be short lived.
His strengths won't do anything in the NFL because he won't be able to outrun people like he did when he was at Texas A&M and he's not tall enough to be a pocket passer, plus he gets inpatient.  

(06-03-2015, 11:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He should be, honestly. How do you justify using an old career backup (Josh McCown) over a 1st round pick from just last year?

I don't like Manziel, but the situation is ridiculous. If they wanted a game manager, why'd they take the king of improv in the first place?

The Browns are a talented team at every spot but QB. I'd put Manziel in and let him play to his strengths.

McCown came out and said the job's his, so how do the Browns bench him?  Will the players trust a sideshow clown like Johnny 8-Ball leading them?

They took him because they're not real bright and his strengths won't be strengths in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 12:41 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: McCown came out and said the job's his, so how do the Browns bench him?  Will the players trust a sideshow clown like Johnny 8-Ball leading them?

They took him because they're not real bright and his strengths won't be strengths in the NFL.

From my perspective, Manziel provides more hope than McCown. Ivan Drago was terrible for the Bucs last year.

If that's your other option, I think it'd be much better to go with the unknown (Manziel) who only started 1 game against a tough D last year.

I understand you don't like Manziel as a person and because he's a Brown (I don't either), but you have to give him a real shot before bashing him as an NFL player. We really haven't seen him play yet.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 01:20 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: From my perspective, Manziel provides more hope than McCown. Ivan Drago was terrible for the Bucs last year.

If that's your other option, I think it'd be much better to go with the unknown (Manziel) who only started 1 game against a tough D last year.

I understand you don't like Manziel as a person and because he's a Brown (I don't either), but you have to give him a real shot before bashing him as an NFL player. We really haven't seen him play yet.

I don't dislike Manziel because he's a Brown, I dislike him because he's an overhyped d-bag.  

It's likely that no other team was going near him anytime soon because they likely saw all of the red flags in his play and realized that it's a long shot that he'll succeed in the NFL.

I think starting Manziel sets the Browns up for an epic collapse by the team and the fanbase because all hell will break loose when he struggles and I don't think that he has the mind to overcome that.
Reply/Quote
I liked him better as the sweating to the oldies guy in the Snickers commercial. That may be the role he is best suited for.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I think Johnny could be a good  Qb in this league but he has a couple of things working against him. 1.) he is short, 2.) he was drafted by the Browns, 3.) He had two years of experience in college and hardly ever played under center, and  4.) He has no real threat at WR.
In all honesty the guy could have benefited from 1 or two more seasons at college and being drafted in the mid rounds instead of the first.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 01:20 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: From my perspective, Manziel provides more hope than McCown. Ivan Drago was terrible for the Bucs last year.

I get what you are saying, but is Johnny Fartball really as "unknown" as we think he is?  I'm not saying it's time to give up on him, but it seems like everything he's shown on and off the field has been unanimously negative thus far.  I don't run a football team, but I'd have a hard time confidently putting my name on any professional decision that hinges upon the justfication of "We have to do this because we have no idea what is going to happen!"

So far the things we know about him all seem to be negative and predictable.  Again, we shall see, but I can't say I'd be marching Johnny out there and crossing my fingers were I in any position of authority.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 02:03 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't dislike Manziel because he's a Brown, I dislike him because he's an overhyped d-bag. 

I guess that's why I said this: "I understand you don't like Manziel as a person"

(06-04-2015, 03:11 AM)J24 Wrote: I think Johnny could be a good  Qb in this league but he has a couple of things working against him. 1.) he is short, 2.) he was drafted by the Browns, 3.) He had two years of experience in college and hardly ever played under center, and  4.) He has no real threat at WR.
In all honesty the guy could have benefited from 1 or two more seasons at college and being drafted in the mid rounds instead of the first.

1. No shorter than Drew Brees or Russell Wilson.
2. I can't argue there.
3. Lots of successful QB's didn't play under center in college, including Dalton. Most college teams play a shotgun spread these days, so it's nothing out of ordinary.
4. They have Bowe, Hartline, Hawkins, Housler, and 4th rounder Vince Mayle. Not exactly a cast of all-pros, but not bad really.

I don't see how 1-2 more seasons in college would've benefited him much, seeing how it wasn't a pro system and he was partying way too much.
(06-04-2015, 03:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I get what you are saying, but is Johnny Fartball really as "unknown" as we think he is?  I'm not saying it's time to give up on him, but it seems like everything he's shown on and off the field has been unanimously negative thus far.  I don't run a football team, but I'd have a hard time confidently putting my name on any professional decision that hinges upon the justfication of "We have to do this because we have no idea what is going to happen!"

So far the things we know about him all seem to be negative and predictable.  Again, we shall see, but I can't say I'd be marching Johnny out there and crossing my fingers were I in any position of authority.

Well we have an idea of what's going to happen with Josh McCown, and it probably won't be good. When it comes to actually playing in NFL games, Manziel is an unknown, just as any NFL player is until they get on-field experience. Sure Manziel was a doosh last year, but he was also a coke addict/alcoholic last year. He handled it and got sober, so that's a plus at the very least. He'll probably put his nose in the playbook more this year.

If I were running the Browns (like you, I'm not), I'd see how dedicated Manziel is to learning his position through OTA's and camp, and go from there. If he's showing dedication, progress and good work ethic, I'd start him. You guys are acting like starting Manziel will be disastrous, as if he can't improve from last year, and as if the Browns have a much better option. McCown isn't taking that team anywhere.

If Manziel is terrible, it won't be much worse than McCown anyway, and besides, it's not like they can't just bench him at any time.

Fwiw, I think the Browns are handling this well. They shouldn't let Manziel feel any entitlement to the starting job. He should have to earn it 100% through his own actions.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2015, 02:30 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I bet he only plays if McCown is injured or they are just terrible on offense and the season is ranked

Why waste a 1st round pick on him then? McCown is a good backup at best. He won't get Cleveland to the playoffs himself. Give Manziel a shot, and if he tanks it then draft a QB early in the draft. I'm just glad the Bengals didn't draft Manziel lol.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 02:39 AM)Joelist Wrote: I hope they play Manziel again so we can utterly punk him down again like we did the last time.

Same here. ..I'd almost be tempted to say I'd give a testicle to watch the midget get tossed twice again, but overall my testicles are more valuable to me than midget tossing. .
Reply/Quote
Camps start soon. Flopzel better get himself ready to start. Can't wait to see the Browns bench him for another QB. How many will that make since 1997?
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 01:41 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Camps start soon. Flopzel better get himself ready to start. Can't wait to see the Browns bench him for another QB. How many will that make since 1997?

A bunch Smirk

It's not even about the Browns for me.......I just can't stand the guy's attitude.  I LOVE watching him get knocked down a peg.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
[Image: manziel-making-it-rain-joker-johnny-manziel-gifs.gif]

"Who do you trust!" Hubba, hubba, hubba! Money, money, money! Who do you trust? Me? I'm giving away free money."

Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 09:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: A bunch Smirk

It's not even about the Browns for me.......I just can't stand the guy's attitude.  I LOVE watching him get knocked down a peg.....

Or 20. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Name a team that has picked worse than the Browns in the 1st round over the last 3-4 years.  They have little to show for their 1st picks outside of Joe Haden.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
My good friend is a big time Browns fan. He still wanted Hoyer as the QB. He says if Manzel starts, he will be disappointed. I told him to drink some beers to feel better.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 11:44 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: My good friend is a big time Browns fan. He still wanted Hoyer as the QB. He says if Manzel starts, he will be disappointed. I told him to drink some beers to feel better.

Man, Browns crying in their beers because they no longer have the 31st ranked QB in the league...then again, now they are stuck with the 32nd ranked QB in the league.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 04:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I guess that's why I said this: "I understand you don't like Manziel as a person"

But I don't dislike him because of the person he is off the field (I do, but that wasn't my point), I dislike him because of everything I mentioned in terms of its relevance to the football field.
Reply/Quote