Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Marvin really gone?
I’ve been reading too many stories of him saying he never said that.
Also saying he would come back if offered a contract.

Cincinnati had an article about the players supporting him to come back by Dehner lol.. I read it. Read the players quotes and it sounded like they didn’t wanna speak negatively.
Reply/Quote
I'm starting to get nervous that's for sure. If he's brought back it makes my decision easier on if I should continue to support this franchise.
Reply/Quote
Is shefty ever wrong?
Reply/Quote
All this Marvin returning talk is making me think more and more as if it might happen. This is similar to a battered wife who keeps taking her abusive husband back. Nothing good is going to come of it. Absolutely nothing!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 07:06 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Is shefty ever wrong?

Hardly.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis has stated he has heard nothing from the Front Office about his career ending in Cincinnati. I believe him. The stories we read on ESPN and PFT appear to have been “fake news” which doesn’t surprise me at all. We see some regular news as “fake” so why would the sports media be immune from this? The way the team found out via social media lends credence to my theory.

I’m not mad at Marvin over this. He’s a smart guy and he handles the press pretty well despite the giggles and such. There are plenty of coaches who are flat out embarrassing in front of a microphone but Marvin isn’t one of them.

Mike Brown likes Marvin a lot. This is obvious. However, does Mike like Marvin enough to break the mold and hire him as General Manager? Marvin might be the best GM in football on his first day on the job. I like Mike Brown because he’s done more for the community than people will ever know but he’s not his father. Paul Brown didn’t need a GM. Mike does.

Making Marvin GM would solve many issues at once. The league is looking for more minority representation in the Front Office and I support this idea 100% if the best qualified candidates can be found. Can anyone make a better case than Marvin? I can’t. He has years of head coaching experience with a winning record, he’s an excellent judge of talent, and the players see him as a father figure. Most of all, Mike trusts Marvin. That’s YUGE in this business. Marvin is an overall positive influence for the Cincinnati Bengals and if I had my way, he would remain part of the organization — just not on the sideline.

The other reason I believe Marvin might be the head coach in 2018 involves Hue Jackson. We know how both Mike and Marvin feel about Hue — much respect — and I think a Hue is terrific as well but only as an offensive coordinator. Hue has had two head coach jobs and he was mediocre in Oakland and he’s about to go 1-31 in Cleveland — and the stupid Browns are retaining him for 2018! If Hue had been released by Cleveland I think Mike Brown would have brought him to Cincinnati but exchanging a losing coach for one who loses even more seems to be a move made for sentimental reasons, not for logical reasons.

The Bengals are a family business and this family has been “extended” to include Marvin, Hue, and the crazy uncle in the room no one acknowledges, Paul Alexander. Mike Brown’s loyalty to his players is admirable and if more business owners loved their people like Mike loves his, this would be a better world — but Mike should never give that degree of loyalty to his coaches. Mike is a Harvard lawyer and exceedingly smart but knowledge of the law doesn’t always translate to knowledge of football. It’s so easy to get caught up in watching the skill players on offense when the game begins and ends with those five or six guys up front. I’ve heard Mike comment on Andy Dalton from time to time but I distinctly remember Paul Brown talking more about line play. The same went for Vince Lombardi; he and Paul knew more than anyone else.

We will know in a few days what Marvin’s future will be. I hope he exchanges his headphones for a suit and becomes Mike Brown’s first GM.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 08:25 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Marvin Lewis has stated he has heard nothing from the Front Office about his career ending in Cincinnati. I believe him. The stories we read on ESPN and PFT appear to have been “fake news” which doesn’t surprise me at all. We see some regular news as “fake” so why would the sports media be immune from this? The way the team found out via social media lends credence to my theory.

I’m not mad at Marvin over this. He’s a smart guy and he handles the press pretty well despite the giggles and such. There are plenty of coaches who are flat out embarrassing in front of a microphone but Marvin isn’t one of them.

Mike Brown likes Marvin a lot. This is obvious. However, does Mike like Marvin enough to break the mold and hire him as General Manager? Marvin might be the best GM in football on his first day on the job. I like Mike Brown because he’s done more for the community than people will ever know but he’s not his father. Paul Brown didn’t need a GM. Mike does.

Making Marvin GM would solve many issues at once. The league is looking for more minority representation in the Front Office and I support this idea 100% if the best qualified candidates can be found. Can anyone make a better case than Marvin? I can’t. He has years of head coaching experience with a winning record, he’s an excellent judge of talent, and the players see him as a father figure. Most of all, Mike trusts Marvin. That’s YUGE in this business. Marvin is an overall positive influence for the Cincinnati Bengals and if I had my way, he would remain part of the organization — just not on the sideline.

The other reason I believe Marvin might be the head coach in 2018 involves Hue Jackson. We know how both Mike and Marvin feel about Hue — much respect — and I think a Hue is terrific as well but only as an offensive coordinator. Hue has had two head coach jobs and he was mediocre in Oakland and he’s about to go 1-31 in Cleveland — and the stupid Browns are retaining him for 2018! If Hue had been released by Cleveland I think Mike Brown would have brought him to Cincinnati but exchanging a losing coach for one who loses even more seems to be a move made for sentimental reasons, not for logical reasons.

The Bengals are a family business and this family has been “extended” to include Marvin, Hue, and the crazy uncle in the room no one acknowledges, Paul Alexander. Mike Brown’s loyalty to his players is admirable and if more business owners loved their people like Mike loves his, this would be a better world — but Mike should never give that degree of loyalty to his coaches. Mike is a Harvard lawyer and exceedingly smart but knowledge of the law doesn’t always translate to knowledge of football. It’s so easy to get caught up in watching the skill players on offense when the game begins and ends with those five or six guys up front. I’ve heard Mike comment on Andy Dalton from time to time but I distinctly remember Paul Brown talking more about line play. The same went for Vince Lombardi; he and Paul knew more than anyone else.

We will know in a few days what Marvin’s future will be. I hope he exchanges his headphones for a suit and becomes Mike Brown’s first GM.

I truly can’t predict what kind of job Marvin might do as a GM. My fear is it would be more of the same. Having an ex coach who couldn’t win a playoff game to save his life does not lend favor to possible success? Think about it? The failure is still present in the organization. It’s bad enough having Mike B. As the puppet master but consider now two puppet masters who can’t win a playoff game controlling the season. I feel failure would be even more so deeply rooted in our organization than it already is? I could be wrong but nothing feels right even considering such a move. In addition, this is the perfect setup for promoting a coach within because I wouldn’t think even 1 coach would consider coming to Cincinnati under them circumstances.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 08:44 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I truly can’t predict what kind of job Marvin might do as a GM. My fear is it would be more of the same. Having an ex coach who couldn’t win a playoff game to save his life does not lend favor to possible success? Think about it? The failure is still present in the organization. It’s bad enough having Mike B. As the puppet master but consider now two puppet masters who can’t win a playoff game controlling the season. I feel failure would be even more so deeply rooted in our organization than it already is? I could be wrong but nothing feels right even considering such a move. In addition, this is the perfect setup for promoting a coach within because I wouldn’t think even 1 coach would consider coming to Cincinnati under them circumstances.

I think you’re right and I’m wrong. What I just suggested above is like an uncontrolled chain reaction of failure now that I read it again. Thank you. I see it your way now and Cincinnati needs a fresh start. I just accused Mike Brown of being overly sentimental and then I did that myself. Your post was a better wake up call than a double shot of espresso.
Reply/Quote
Why would Marvin leave? After we beat the ravens, we will actually improved from last year's record. That's all the reason MB needs to justify a 16th season. Hooray for the fans!
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
I'll believe it when I see it. Marvin's job security should have ended years ago.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 08:44 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I truly can’t predict what kind of job Marvin might do as a GM. My fear is it would be more of the same. Having an ex coach who couldn’t win a playoff game to save his life does not lend favor to possible success? Think about it? The failure is still present in the organization. It’s bad enough having Mike B. As the puppet master but consider now two puppet masters who can’t win a playoff game controlling the season. I feel failure would be even more so deeply rooted in our organization than it already is? I could be wrong but nothing feels right even considering such a move. In addition, this is the perfect setup for promoting a coach within because I wouldn’t think even 1 coach would consider coming to Cincinnati under them circumstances.

(12-28-2017, 08:49 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I think you’re right and I’m wrong.  What I just suggested above is like an uncontrolled chain reaction of failure now that I read it again.  Thank you.  I see it your way now and Cincinnati needs a fresh start.  I just accused Mike Brown of being overly sentimental and then I did that myself.  Your post was a better wake up call than a double shot of espresso.

I agree with you and Harley on this.  However, to play devil's advocate here, being a good coach and being a good GM are two different things.  How many GMs across the league have never played a down?  Or coached?  I gotta say, Marv has an eye for talent.....you just never know.  That being said, I'm for a TOTAL clean slate.....and a real GM.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
The bengals.com article looks like an intentional trial balloon or worse setting the stage for re-signing Marvin and the staff including Alexander.

Hobspin would not be publishing an article saying players support Marv if Mike was getting ready to fire him on black Monday.

More of the same next year with a much harder schedule.
Reply/Quote
NO ONE KNOWS....

We are all waiting to find out just like you.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 11:37 AM)bengals67 Wrote: The bengals.com article looks like an intentional trial balloon or worse setting the stage for re-signing Marvin and the staff including Alexander.

Hobspin would not be publishing an article saying players support Marv if Mike was getting ready to fire him on black Monday.

More of the same next year with a much harder schedule.

... Why not? It's kind of Hobs forte to say all the right things. I'd be more shocked if Hobs announced Marvin wouldn't be back, especially since there's one game left. 

If Marv does come back, I'll be very surprised and beyond pissed. I'll be done with the bengals and the NFL in general until he's out on his ass. Certainly not holding my breath though, as I fully expect Mike to offer extensions across the board. We can only hope this staff is done with this shitshow
Reply/Quote
If Marvin is back then it means he was right about Whit, Ross, and Zampese (passing over him twice), and whoever made those decisions will have to go. Tobin?

Mike Brown. And he isn't going to fire himself. This would be his way of acknowledging Marvin was right.

Who really knows if Marvin is gone. If we beat the Ravens then all bets off (Unfortunately).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'm actually ok with Marvin because I don't think he's the problem with the franchise. The business model is what's wrong. It's run by a lawyer.. Paul Brown understood the need for a good lawyer who could keep the dogs out of the business end of the family business. You really have to wonder if PB knew his lil sonny boy would be such a slouch as GM and the every day running of the team. Maybe he did and his only concern after his death was that his family would be provided for for years to come. To that end Mikey has succeeded well beyond pops wildest dreams. That's the thing about people dying. We don't usually know exactly what they were thinking, but we do know that having an ivy league educated lawyer in the family you probably weren't going to go broke any time soon and the league back then was rife with crooks and mobsters.. Paul understood that much.    
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I think Marv is done in Cincy, Hue even hinted he knew Marv was done after this year when asked about a return to the good guys.

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 10:24 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with you and Harley on this.  However, to play devil's advocate here, being a good coach and being a good GM are two different things.  How many GMs across the league have never played a down?  Or coached?  I gotta say, Marv has an eye for talent.....you just never know.  That being said, I'm for a TOTAL clean slate.....and a real GM.

Yeah, if his time as HC here is over, I'm not sure that putting him in the front office - in the GM role - would lead to much change at all.

The reason I say that is because I think it would almost guarantee that either Guenther or Simmons would be the next head coach - barring Jay getting fired in Washington, which I doubt happens. It would also probably mean Dirk Koetter as the new OC if TB cans him, and probably a good chance Jim Haslett is the new DC. It would most likely mean Alexander sticks around as well. 

I agree that they really do need a clean slate. Bringing Marvin back as the HC or bumping to GM would basically just be a continuation of the same approach and mind set of the last 15 years...which has failed repeatedly to produce anything close to a desirable end result.
Reply/Quote
My fear is that Marvin will walk and the team will simply be handed to a current inept staff member all but insuring more of the same.  I feel that cleaning house at least has the possibility of the change in culture that we all desire.

Here's to hope  Cheers
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 02:49 PM)-CR- Wrote: My fear is that Marvin will walk and the team will simply be handed to a current inept staff member all but insuring more of the same.  I feel that cleaning house at least has the possibility of the change in culture that we all desire.

Here's to hope  Cheers

Yeah, they need a hire who is going to re-energize the fan base. Hiring from the current staff certainly won't do that.
Reply/Quote