Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Starbucks Racist?
Seems a manager called the police on a couple guys that were loitering without purchasing anything and would not leave when asked:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/16/protesters-march-to-various-starbucks-in-philadelphia-following-controversial-arrests.html

This has sparked outrage in the community and Nationwide. Personally I cannot see how Starbucks can be "guilty" of anything. What is a store owner to do if someone enters their establishment, doesn't purchase anything, and will not leave when asked to do so?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-16-2018, 09:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems a manager called the police on a couple guys that were loitering without purchasing anything and would not leave when asked:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/16/protesters-march-to-various-starbucks-in-philadelphia-following-controversial-arrests.html

This has sparked outrage in the community and Nationwide. Personally I cannot see how Starbucks can be "guilty" of anything. What is a store owner to do if someone enters their establishment, doesn't purchase anything, and will not leave when asked to do so?

I don't think the company is racist.  Some of the other stories about white people doing the same without being asked to leave makes this one story look bad I suppose.

And I think six officers responding, the two men leaving quietly and then spending eight hours in jail seems a "bit" extreme.

But if the store asks people to leave all the time no matter what their race then it's not a race issue.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Did anyone bother to find out the race of the employee that called the cops? I don’t know but am curious?

(04-16-2018, 10:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Did anyone bother to find out the race of the employee that called the cops? I don’t know but am curious?

I thought a couple places said white.
(04-16-2018, 10:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Did anyone bother to find out the race of the employee that called the cops? I don’t know but am curious?

Not sure that matters as time and again it has been shown that it matters little. Remember Freddy Gray? The issue is what advocates deem to be systemic racism. Fir instance I saw an interview of one of the protesters that stated she was a Starbucks customer and had obtained "Gold Status" but now she was quitting because they were racist. How the hell did she obtain Gold Status. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-16-2018, 10:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure that matters as time and again it has been shown that it matters little. Remember Freddy Gray? The issue is what advocates deem to be systemic racism. Fir instance I saw an interview of one of the protesters that stated she was a Starbucks customer and had obtained "Gold Status" but now she was quitting because they were racist. How the hell did she obtain Gold Status. 

Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others maybe?

Whatever the case it was handled poorly it seems.  And some people just like to overreact and some people like to protest.
This is so dumb.

Don’t just hang out and even asked to leave a place of business you leave.

When I saw there was a story I figured Starbucks was doing some dumb leftist nonsense with their cups. Now I guess I will grab everyone a coffee on the way into the office.
(04-16-2018, 10:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others maybe?

Whatever the case it was handled poorly it seems.  And some people just like to overreact and some people like to protest.

That’s the leftist way. They want to boycott Plus cause another disturbance rather than just spend their money elsewhere.... funny thing is that Starbucks is pretty leftist lol
At this point they have to be happy they weren't shot and killed.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(04-17-2018, 02:23 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That’s the leftist way.  They want to boycott Plus cause another disturbance rather than just spend their money elsewhere....  funny thing is that Starbucks is pretty leftist lol

It's "the way" of both sides.  
The issue at hand with this is that these two people were waiting for a friend, and had expressed that. This is something that happens all the time at these places, and white bystanders expressed that when the two men were being arrested. What happened was racial discrimination likely based on implicit biases.

That doesn't make the company racist. What happened was something that has happened for decades when it comes to the disproportionate application of these sorts of things. We are just in a new era of civil rights where social media has allowed for these incidents to be made more public and for people to share them and react to them in greater numbers.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-17-2018, 09:07 AM)GMDino Wrote: It's "the way" of both sides.  

Lol...sure
(04-17-2018, 09:35 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The issue at hand with this is that these two people were waiting for a friend, and had expressed that. This is something that happens all the time at these places, and white bystanders expressed that when the two men were being arrested. What happened was racial discrimination likely based on implicit biases.

That doesn't make the company racist. What happened was something that has happened for decades when it comes to the disproportionate application of these sorts of things. We are just in a new era of civil rights where social media has allowed for these incidents to be made more public and for people to share them and react to them in greater numbers.

I have been asked to leave a place before for the same reason as these guys. I guess i was the target of some racial discrimination as well. Good to know.
I don't understand. They were asked to leave BY THE MANAGER and refused. That right there is breaking the law. I also don't see how it's considered racism when the police officers ASKED them to leave, as well and only arrested them when they refused AGAIN.

We need to stop allowing blacks (and guilty white people) to cry racism just because they get in trouble for breaking the law.
(04-17-2018, 01:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have been asked to leave a place before for the same reason as these guys.   I guess i was the target of some racial discrimination as well.  Good to know.

Just yesterday, a white chick here in my branch was asked to leave because she'd been here for 45 minutes without doing any business. She said she was waiting for somebody. Doesn't matter. This isn't a waiting station.
(04-17-2018, 01:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't understand. They were asked to leave BY THE MANAGER and refused. That right there is breaking the law. I also don't see how it's considered racism when the police officers ASKED them to leave, as well and only arrested them when they refused AGAIN.

We need to stop allowing blacks (and guilty white people) to cry racism just because they get in trouble for breaking the law.

Is it breaking "the law"?  I'm asking seriously.  

As to the arrest, it still seems a bit extreme given how calmly the entire event went on the two videos.  Once they were outside who knows what happened.  Maybe they "resisted" so they HAD to go to jail.  
(04-17-2018, 01:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Is it breaking "the law"?  I'm asking seriously.  

As to the arrest, it still seems a bit extreme given how calmly the entire event went on the two videos.  Once they were outside who knows what happened.  Maybe they "resisted" so they HAD to go to jail.  

It is if they have "No Loitering" signs posted, for sure.

"Better send those refunds..."

(04-17-2018, 01:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: It is if they have "No Loitering" signs posted, for sure.

That would be interesting to know then.
(04-17-2018, 01:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Is it breaking "the law"?  I'm asking seriously.  

I'm pretty sure loitering is against the law in every state. Even so, they were asked to leave PRIVATE PROPERTY which, as far as I know, is considered trespassing.

As to the arrest, I've been in situations where I had to call the police because someone refused to leave when asked. They were 'arrested' but only because it was the quickest way of gettin gthem off the premises. They didn't go to jail or court or anything like that. Heck, in each situation, they didn't even go to the police station.
(04-17-2018, 02:14 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm pretty sure loitering is against the law in every state. Even so, they were asked to leave PRIVATE PROPERTY which, as far as I know, is considered trespassing.

As to the arrest, I've been in situations where I had to call the police because someone refused to leave when asked. They were 'arrested' but only because it was the quickest way of gettin gthem off the premises. 

Did they spend eight hour in jail then?

I just think this entire think was blown out of proportion from the guy who called the cops, to the guys refusing to leave to the police placing the two guys in jail for eight hours.

If they were not causing any problems before the police were called that is.

It's Starbucks...people sit around there all the time from what I can gather.  (Full disclosure: I've never had a drink from there and was in one once (I think that's all) when my wife got a coffee there.)