Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Starting AJ McCarron a Remote Possibility?
Is anyone besides me considering it might be advantageous to start AJ McCarron over Jake Browning based on experience? I have nothing but mad respect for Jake but AJ has starting experience with several NFL teams and his big game record at Alabama has to count for something.

AJ is definitely more of a gunslinger than Jake and I think his deep ball is better as well. In my opinion AJ gives the Bengals a better chance of taking deep shots they sorely need to beat the Steelers next weekend.

Maybe it’s just a style thing with me because I prefer a quarterback who plays with a degree of reckless abandon. Yes, I know AJ will make mistakes because he’s not the perfect technician but he plays with his heart on his sleeve. I believe the rest of the team needs that kind of a leader right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Steelers are going cover 0 for the first 20 plays unless we prove we can stop them from attempted murder. Who is the quickest reader of the two?
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:15 PM)Destro Wrote: Steelers are going cover 0 for the first 20 plays unless we prove we can stop them from attempted murder. Who is the quickest reader of the two?

This is an excellent analysis and I believe McCarron is quicker at reading defenses. He has played against more NFL defenses than Jake has.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is an excellent analysis and I believe McCarron is quicker at reading defenses.  He has played against more NFL defenses than Jake has.

I mean I guess that's true but it's been a minute  Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Is anyone besides me considering it might be advantageous to start AJ McCarron over Jake Browning based on experience?  I have nothing but mad respect for Jake but AJ has starting experience with several NFL teams and his big game record at Alabama has to count for something.  

AJ is definitely more of a gunslinger than Jake and I think his deep ball is better as well.  In my opinion AJ gives the Bengals a better chance of taking deep shots they sorely need to beat the Steelers next weekend.

Maybe it’s just a style thing with me because I prefer a quarterback who plays with a degree of reckless abandon.  Yes, I know AJ will make mistakes because he’s not the perfect technician but he plays with his heart on his sleeve.  I believe the rest of the team needs that kind of a leader right now.

Although I totally disagree with your fight until the end attitude, I do appreciate it.  

Reply/Quote
While I like AJ, he has never shown to be an NFL starter..... anywhere... not even on the worst team. I want to see what Browning is made of.
Reply/Quote
Let's hope not.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is an excellent analysis and I believe McCarron is quicker at reading defenses.  He has played against more NFL defenses than Jake has.

You don't remember Wade Phillips totally confusing him in Denver by going from man to zone in the second half? He shit the bed and choked away our first round bye.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Not really at this point in time, Browning played a ton in preseason, knows the offense better and more mobile, plus played turnover free in a tough environment in balt he eaned the start with pittsburgh and, is more ready than AJ
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Is anyone besides me considering it might be advantageous to start AJ McCarron over Jake Browning based on experience?  I have nothing but mad respect for Jake but AJ has starting experience with several NFL teams and his big game record at Alabama has to count for something.  

AJ is definitely more of a gunslinger than Jake and I think his deep ball is better as well.  In my opinion AJ gives the Bengals a better chance of taking deep shots they sorely need to beat the Steelers next weekend.

Maybe it’s just a style thing with me because I prefer a quarterback who plays with a degree of reckless abandon.  Yes, I know AJ will make mistakes because he’s not the perfect technician but he plays with his heart on his sleeve.  I believe the rest of the team needs that kind of a leader right now.

I would say very remote for next game.  Browning got reps in against Ravens and he has been on active roster and saw plenty of preseason reps due to Burrow calf injury all preseason.  The man with the reps in practice and games is Browning.  

Now McCarron had practice and game reps with Bengals way back under Coach Lewis, ancient history, not with Coach Taylor and his playbook. Plus McCarron never looked that hot when he replaced injured Dalton in 2015, and could not win with a team that started 8-0 on the season under Dalton.  Fans always over rated McCarron.  

I have a question.  Who do Bengals bring in now to put on Practice Squad.  If Browning and McCarron are going to be Active Roster,  Bengals will need a 3rd QB on practice squad.  It might be very interesting to see which out of work QB is brought in. 

Browning will start against Steelers.  That does not mean he has the starting job locked up rest of season.  It could end up being McCarron as you say, if Browning plays awful.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2023, 03:10 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: You don't remember Wade Phillips totally confusing him in Denver by going from man to zone in the second half? He shit the bed and choked away our first round bye.

Speaking of Wade Phillips would he be interested in becoming a defensive coordinator?
Reply/Quote
I like AJ. Behind this line I’m sure he will get his chance. Browning actually didn’t play bad against Balt. A few drops and bad calls killed most drives. So I think he earned the right to start again against Pitt. But AJ still has some left in the tank. We all know what he did in college and when he had to step in for us. But more recently he was the 2023 XFL touchdown leader as well as the passer rating leader and completions percentage leader. I would love to see him play but Browning will get the start this week. See how he looks and it gives AJ more time to learn the playbook.
Reply/Quote
Play AJ he has some play and played during the summer
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Is anyone besides me considering it might be advantageous to start AJ McCarron over Jake Browning based on experience? I have nothing but mad respect for Jake but AJ has starting experience with several NFL teams and his big game record at Alabama has to count for something.

AJ is definitely more of a gunslinger than Jake and I think his deep ball is better as well. In my opinion AJ gives the Bengals a better chance of taking deep shots they sorely need to beat the Steelers next weekend.

Maybe it’s just a style thing with me because I prefer a quarterback who plays with a degree of reckless abandon. Yes, I know AJ will make mistakes because he’s not the perfect technician but he plays with his heart on his sleeve. I believe the rest of the team needs that kind of a leader right now.

It doesn’t really matter much which Quarterback starts.Neither of these guys are going to get you into the playoffs anyways.
In all reality,winning a few games, at this point,hurts you more than helps you.
Reply/Quote
Macaroni even has starting experience this year.

Didn't he win XFL MVP?

I'd start Macaroni if I were trying to actually win, but Zac seems to have a thing for his guy. Just like he did with Ryan Finley.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 10:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Macaroni even has starting experience this year.

Didn't he win XFL MVP?

I'd start Macaroni if I were trying to actually win, but Zac seems to have a thing for his guy. Just like he did with Ryan Finley.

Hey Shake how ya been buddy? Happy Thanksgiving to you.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 10:36 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Hey Shake how ya been buddy? Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Not bad, buddy, other than hating the Michigan cold and night starting at 5:30 pm again. At least I can warm myself by discussing the prospects of Jake from State Farm vs the almost won a playoff game in 2015 MVP at QB.

How's the Jordan Love era treating ya?

In all seriousness, I have a lot to be thankful for, and I hope you do, too. Glad to see ya still hanging around.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Browning earned a starting shot by not looking completely inept against Baltimore on a short week in a tough environment. We were an Irwin reversed call from possibly going into halftime at worst down 1. Our defense couldn’t stop a nosebleed.

Browning did not make any BAD decisions. He was somewhat accurate and hung tough. No reason not to give him a shot Sunday. If he looks completely over his head, then yeah move to McCarron.
Reply/Quote
I believe Zac will give Browning 2-3 games. If he looks like Ryan Finley, then I fully expect AJ to get some playing time. Unless the team is already looking towards 2024, then it's Browning the rest of the way.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Taylor will start whoever gives us the best shot at winning. It may eventually be McCarron, but not right now. Browning is just way ahead of him when it comes to knowing our offense.

XFL stats don't mean diddly poo. How well are the XFL's leading rusher and receiver doing in the NFL right now?
Reply/Quote