Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Thaddeus Moss Ready For His Spot?
(06-07-2022, 12:34 PM)motoarch Wrote: This.

Why do people keep bringing this guy up?

~Let it go, let it go!~

Take a guess lol

I watched every LSU game Burrows last year because i had a good idea we’d suck and draft Burrow and Moss was nothing special at LSU. He didn’t drop much of anything and he blocked average.

His hype is literally due to his name. Good camp body
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 04:41 PM)Housh Wrote: I watched every LSU game Burrows last year because i had a good idea we’d suck and draft Burrow 

When exactly did you come up with this idea?   Because at the start of the season no one on earth predicted Burrow would be the best QB in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 04:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When exactly did you come up with this idea?   Because at the start of the season no one on earth predicted Burrow would be the best QB in the draft.

I watch LSU games anyway, but that year it was clear early we were in the running for the number 1 pick
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 06:38 PM)Housh Wrote: I watch LSU games anyway, but that year it was clear early we were in the running for the number 1 pick

Going into the start of the 2019 CFB season, Burrow wasn't being talked about as one of the top 3 QBs though.
He was being talked about as an early Day 2 pick by quite a few draft sites.

Here was CBS Sports mock from Sept 23, 2019 - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-rising-qb-prospect-joe-burrow-to-the-titans-browns-prioritize-offensive-line/

It had Tagovailoa at 2, then Herbert at 3, then Burrow at 12th.

USA Today from Sept 19 had Tua 1st overall, Herbert 5th overall, Hurts at 16th overall, Fromm at 24.
Burrow not until midway through 2nd round.
https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/09/17/2020-nfl-mock-draft-3-rounds-tua-tagovailoa-justin-herbert-jalen-hurts/

Up until probably midway through the college season, most people had Tua as the top QB based on how everything went the year before. Most had Herbert after because of his elite potential and also a better college career than Burrow up to that point.
Then Tua got hurt and Burrow ended up setting records by season's end, which ascended him to the top.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 07:59 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Now I'm going to say this and some will get angry but Drew Sample is the biggest blemish on Zac Taylors draft resume. No Period. So its going to be interesting to see how the position group shakes out. The elephant in the room is apparent but at the end of the day spots are earned. Now healthy its time to put up or shut up.

If Moss doesn’t overtake Sample this year,he deserves to be cut.Seriously,why is Sample still on the team? Oh, that’s right,he was a second round draft pick.I have all our Tight Ends listed above Sample.Which isn’t really saying much.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 07:30 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: If Moss doesn’t overtake Sample this year,he deserves to be cut.Seriously,why is Sample still on the team? Oh, that’s right,he was a second round draft pick.I have all our Tight Ends listed above Sample.Which isn’t really saying much.

Prett much every team in the league has a guy like Sample.  They play a significant portion of the snaps (around 30%) at TE/FB/H-back and play an important role in the offense, but they just don't put up any stats.  If they are a 7th round pick or UDFA (Ryan Hewitt) then they are a fan favorite, but if they are a second round pick then their own fans call them shit and garbage.

Sample plays an important role and does it pretty well.  he can't help it if he was drafted in the second round.  So don't call him garbage because of a mistake the coaches/front office made.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 06:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Going into the start of the 2019 CFB season, Burrow wasn't being talked about as one of the top 3 QBs though.
He was being talked about as an early Day 2 pick by quite a few draft sites.

Here was CBS Sports mock from Sept 23, 2019 - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-rising-qb-prospect-joe-burrow-to-the-titans-browns-prioritize-offensive-line/

It had Tagovailoa at 2, then Herbert at 3, then Burrow at 12th.

USA Today from Sept 19 had Tua 1st overall, Herbert 5th overall, Hurts at 16th overall, Fromm at 24.
Burrow not until midway through 2nd round.
https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/09/17/2020-nfl-mock-draft-3-rounds-tua-tagovailoa-justin-herbert-jalen-hurts/

Up until probably midway through the college season, most people had Tua as the top QB based on how everything went the year before. Most had Herbert after because of his elite potential and also a better college career than Burrow up to that point.
Then Tua got hurt and Burrow ended up setting records by season's end, which ascended him to the top.

In the middle of the year, i liked Herbert better than Burrow. Didn't like Tua at all. By the CFP, it was Burrow all the way. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 07:31 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Now regardless of popular belief everyone has underdogs that they root for to finally breakthrough. Last season from my knowledge had a great camp until being injured but has remained on our practice squad. The opportunity is certainly there to become the number two behind Hayden Hurst and grab substantial snaps this season. I like this guy to make the 53 this season and a great deal more. If he finally earns his chance with to get on the field with Joe then. Ok lookout. Thoughts...
https://youtu.be/5jlI4uzZGjU

If Moss is playing regularly we are in trouble. He is actually 6'1, small and very slow.  If his name wasnt Moss he wouldnt be on the practice squad.  These reports are everywhere.

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 07:30 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: If Moss doesn’t overtake Sample this year,he deserves to be cut.Seriously,why is Sample still on the team? Oh, that’s right,he was a second round draft pick.I have all our Tight Ends listed above Sample.Which isn’t really saying much.

Hating on a guy because of his draft round is silly.  What team doesnt have a big blocking TE?  Should we have Kittle AND Kelce?

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 03:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: In the middle of the year, i liked Herbert better than Burrow. Didn't like Tua at all. By the CFP, it was Burrow all the way. 

I watched his first game of the year against Texas.  Both teams were in the top 10.  Joe had like 500 yards and 5 tds.

So a lot of people stared paying him a lot of attention pretty early.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 03:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Prett much every team in the league has a guy like Sample.  They play a significant portion of the snaps (around 30%) at TE/FB/H-back and play an important role in the offense, but they just don't put up any stats.  If they are a 7th round pick or UDFA (Ryan Hewitt) then they are a fan favorite, but if they are a second round pick then their own fans call them shit and garbage.

Sample plays an important role and does it pretty well.  he can't help it if he was drafted in the second round.  So don't call him garbage because of a mistake the coaches/front office made.

Yep, Sample was brought in to play a role as a blocking TE.  He was drafted while the O-line was struggling.  In the first round they took Williams and in the 2nd Sample.  My guess was that was an attempt to help out the O-line.  He was never going to be a big numbers guy in the receiving game and probably never will be.  Even his best season in college he only had 252 yards for 3 TDs and that was his senior year.  

I also don't think he is a garbage player.  He plays a role that just doesn't make the highlights.  2nd round maybe too early but what can you do?  It's not his fault.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 03:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I watched his first game of the year against Texas.  Both teams were in the top 10.  Joe had like 500 yards and 5 tds.

So a lot of people stared paying him a lot of attention pretty early.

2nd game Wink 1st game was a blowout against Georgia Southern.

The NY day game against UCF is what convinced me, especially being an LSU fan. Would've been thrilled with him in the 3rd or 4th, but his performance killed those hopes!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 03:42 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yep, Sample was brought in to play a role as a blocking TE.  He was drafted while the O-line was struggling.  In the first round they took Williams and in the 2nd Sample.  My guess was that was an attempt to help out the O-line.  He was never going to be a big numbers guy in the receiving game and probably never will be.  Even his best season in college he only had 252 yards for 3 TDs and that was his senior year.  

I also don't think he is a garbage player.  He plays a role that just doesn't make the highlights.  2nd round maybe too early but what can you do?  It's not his fault.  

All true. Drew Sample isn't as bad as some make out. He was never going to be a pass catching TE that puts up big numbers
like you say George. He is a damn good blocker and springs our RB's for big gains at times to no credit from most of the fans.

When I bring this up it is mostly ignored though, people just hate him cause of where he was drafted.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 04:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true. Drew Sample isn't as bad as some make out. He was never going to be a pass catching TE that puts up big numbers
like you say George. He is a damn good blocker and springs our RB's for big gains at times to no credit from most of the fans.

When I bring this up it is mostly ignored though, people just hate him cause of where he was drafted.

Yep, that's the thing. Were he a 4th rd. pick (probably where he should have been) he wouldn't get hated on as much.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 03:23 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Hating on a guy because of his draft round is silly.  What team doesnt have a big blocking TE?  Should we have Kittle AND Kelce?

I mean.... One of em would be nice. You're right though. Everybody has a blocking TE. I'm just not sure how many of them are drafted early in the 2nd round. I don't hate him. Just think they could've found another him wherever whenever.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 05:06 PM)jason Wrote: I mean.... One of em would be nice. You're right though. Everybody has a blocking TE. I'm just not sure how many of them are drafted early in the 2nd round. I don't hate him. Just think they could've found another him wherever whenever.

No doubt he was drafted way too high.  Not his fault though. He is serviceable but will never be TE1 or live up to that draft slot.

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 05:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, that's the thing. Were he a 4th rd. pick (probably where he should have been) he wouldn't get hated on as much.

Truth, I had him in some of my Mocks with us picking him in the 4th.

(06-08-2022, 05:06 PM)jason Wrote: I mean.... One of em would be nice. You're right though. Everybody has a blocking TE. I'm just not sure how many of them are drafted early in the 2nd round. I don't hate him. Just think they could've found another him wherever whenever.

Hopefully we can hit on a TE pick some time. It can happen but they are hard to judge.

I thought Hockenson was going to be the next great TE like Gronk but he hasn't been that yet.

Looking at Mayer the TE out of Notre Dame or LaPorta the next Iowa TE in the next Draft for us.

(06-08-2022, 08:47 PM)casear2727 Wrote: No doubt he was drafted way too high.  Not his fault though. He is serviceable but will never be TE1 or live up to that draft slot.

All true. Zac's 2 bad picks that were not the player's faults....

Ryan Finley and Drew Sample. Mellow

Not that Drew was a bad pick we just took him too early and should of taken DK Metcalf instead.
Reply/Quote
One would think, with his size and blocking ability and solid hands, he’d have at minimum grabbed the H-back role we had on this team with Carter prior. That hasn’t been the case.
Reply/Quote
He has to earn his spot.
Reply/Quote
A lot of people saying he is just getting a shot because of his name.

I think his name may be the main reason so many fans think he is good, but I am pretty sure NFL teams don't give a shit about his name.

I also think he has a few big fans here because he is a local boy from northern Kentucky.
Reply/Quote