Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is This Conceivable? (WR for the future)
Given that AJ will definitely be tagged, but outside of that the future is uncertain, do you think it is conceivable that we roll with AJ and our guys this year, plus a draft pick (a Shenault/Jefferson/Golden-Gandy/Pittman/etc.), then go for JaMarr Chase next year?

It becomes a Burrow/Lawrence thing like this year (no guarantee you'll suck enough/be good enough to land in the spot to draft him), but I can't help but think Burrow may have a little pull in terms of who he wants to throw to (especially if they aren't able to get Jefferson).

The class this year is incredibly full of talent, so doing what is suggested above may be a stupid idea, but is it conceivable?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Burrow will get a WR fairly high in this draft, I just don't know if it will be Jefferson, Mims, Pittman, or who. I think Green will be a Bengal for next 3 years.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 04:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Given that AJ will definitely be tagged, but outside of that the future is uncertain, do you think it is conceivable that we roll with AJ and our guys this year, plus a draft pick (a Shenault/Jefferson/Golden-Gandy/Pittman/etc.), then go for JaMarr Chase next year?

It becomes a Burrow/Lawrence thing like this year (no guarantee you'll suck enough/be good enough to land in the spot to draft him), but I can't help but think Burrow may have a little pull in terms of who he wants to throw to (especially if they aren't able to get Jefferson).

The class this year is incredibly full of talent, so doing what is suggested above may be a stupid idea, but is it conceivable?

It is definitely conceivable as long as the O-line starts to come around. With the injury history of 3 of our weapons we are 
going to have to restock. Chase is one heck of a WR in his own right and already has the chemistry with Burrow. Will be 
interested to see how Chase does this next season without Joe.
Reply/Quote
I really want Laviska Shenault Jr but he is now getting some WR1 in the draft talk lol. I've also seen Denzel Mims getting mocked in the first now...These are my two guys at 33...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 04:44 PM)Synric Wrote: I really want Laviska Shenault Jr but he is now getting some WR1 in the draft talk lol. I've also seen Denzel Mims getting mocked in the first now...These are my two guys at 33...

I can’t see anyone seriously thinking he is 1 over Judy or Lamb.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 04:44 PM)Synric Wrote: I really want Laviska Shenault Jr but he is now getting some WR1 in the draft talk lol. I've also seen Denzel Mims getting mocked in the first now...These are my two guys at 33...

Yeah Shenault is the WR I want the most probably but we need to take care of our O-line and LB's first.

If we do something in FA for our O-line and LB's I would take Shenault at 33 for sure.

(02-14-2020, 06:34 PM)Au165 Wrote: I can’t see anyone seriously thinking he is 1 over Judy or Lamb.

I can't see that either. You would think teams would want to take care of their immediate needs at the weaker spots of the 
Draft early and hope to get the gem Receiver later in such a deep Draft WR wise.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 06:34 PM)Au165 Wrote: I can’t see anyone seriously thinking he is 1 over Judy or Lamb.

I'm not saying he is but I can see the arguement with how dangerous he as a playmaker. I can see Mims sneaking into the bottom of the first.

Also I've been doing DBs this week and was watching the LSU vs Florida game last night (how I noticed all the full games were on youtube lol). I was watching CJ Henderson and Kristian Fulton.

Anyway I noticed Van Jefferson was the only WR I can think of that really made Derek Stingley look bad all year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Shenault looks like a Derrick Henry at wide receiver. Mims is one of my favorite ‘draft projection and overall value prospect with his potential. He’s arguable my favorite prospect when considering our need but I’d also take shenault in a heart beat too if Mims isnt there...I think we will see at 33
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 06:56 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm not saying he is but I can see the arguement with how dangerous he as a playmaker. I can see Mims sneaking into the bottom of the first.

Also I've been doing DBs this week and was watching the LSU vs Florida game last night (how I noticed all the full games were on youtube lol). I was watching CJ Henderson and Kristian Fulton.

Anyway I noticed Van Jefferson was the only WR I can think of that really made Derek Stingley look bad all year.

Everyone and their mother was:

1. Raving about Jefferson at the Senior Bowl
2. Stating that with better QB play, he would've blown up.

He's a very good WR.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals are dead set on getting AJs replacement, outside of getting lucky and developing a guy who has stud qualities already in the early-mid rounds, which there may be a couple, they will have to package players and picks to move back up into the 2nd to have a better shot and landing him, or even late first if tee higgins or shenault are still there.

I like several guys in this draft and think people's-Jones or mims and Aiyuk could each develop into WR1 for a team, but if other teams feel the same way they will all be off the board by 2 or early 3.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 04:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Given that AJ will definitely be tagged, but outside of that the future is uncertain, do you think it is conceivable that we roll with AJ and our guys this year, plus a draft pick (a Shenault/Jefferson/Golden-Gandy/Pittman/etc.), then go for JaMarr Chase next year?

I see the Bengals doing a reverse of what they did when the drafted AJ in round 1 and Dalton in round #2. I could see us trade back into round 1 to geta 5th year option for the WR they fall in love with. I also see no way AJ walks and as you said at a minimum they tag him. I think in the end Green  re-signs for 2 or 3 years prior to the 2020 season.

I also see the Bengals doing something with the OL in free agency, not at tackle, but at guard.

The big question though becomes what will they do to fix the defense which is not close to playoff caliber. Lots of holes to fill so hopefully a trade and some cap money as a result and a draft pick helps them create some cap room for the defense.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2020, 10:48 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I see the Bengals doing a reverse of what they did when the drafted AJ in round 1 and Dalton in round #2. I could see us trade back into round 1 to geta 5th year option for the WR they fall in love with. I also see no way AJ walks and as you said at a minimum they tag him. I think in the end Green  re-signs for 2 or 3 years prior to the 2020 season.

I also see the Bengals doing something with the OL in free agency, not at tackle, but at guard.

The big question though becomes what will they do to fix the defense which is not close to playoff caliber. Lots of holes to fill so hopefully a trade and some cap money as a result and a draft pick helps them create some cap room for the defense.

1 hole to fill and that's LB; the defense has been sound to great otherwise. Only CB I really see them doing anything of consequence, but only because CB is a position that is greatly needed in today's NFL.

I agree with everything else written and could see that as well :)
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2020, 10:54 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1 hole to fill and that's LB; the defense has been sound to great otherwise. Only CB I really see them doing anything of consequence, but only because CB is a position that is greatly needed in today's NFL.

I agree with everything else written and could see that as well :)

On defense, it's more than just finding an athlete to play LB.  The defense has no identity, no fiery, vocal leader to set the tone.  The defense already has some great athletes, but they need that alpha personality to tie them all together. (as well as play as an outstanding LB)  I might also contend that the secondary could use it's own field general to call the shots and set the tone out there. (why I took Delpit at 33 in my 2/7 mock)

Would it be nice to take a WR at 33, to give Burrow a young weapon to grow with?  Absolutely.  However, I think that there are enough quality receivers in this class, that they can hold off til the middle rounds to get one.  Unless the Bengals do something shocking in free agency, I see those 33 and 65 selections needing to be a defensive standout and an OT.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2020, 12:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: On defense, it's more than just finding an athlete to play LB.  The defense has no identity, no fiery, vocal leader to set the tone.  The defense already has some great athletes, but they need that alpha personality to tie them all together. (as well as play as an outstanding LB)  I might also contend that the secondary could use it's own field general to call the shots and set the tone out there. (why I took Delpit at 33 in my 2/7 mock)

Would it be nice to take a WR at 33, to give Burrow a young weapon to grow with?  Absolutely.  However, I think that there are enough quality receivers in this class, that they can hold off til the middle rounds to get one.  Unless the Bengals do something shocking in free agency, I see those 33 and 65 selections needing to be a defensive standout and an OT.

It's true; the defense's identity is still very much a holdover from the Marvin days (not a bad thing, mind you); a bunch of leaders in every group, but not that one guy who'd head and shoulders THE MAN.

We had that with Burfict (though I'd still say that Peko was the outright leader of that D), but that was only 4 years, really.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2020, 12:58 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: It's true; the defense's identity is still very much a holdover from the Marvin days (not a bad thing, mind you); a bunch of leaders in every group, but not that one guy who'd head and shoulders THE MAN.

We had that with Burfict (though I'd still say that Peko was the outright leader of that D), but that was only 4 years, really.

I'd also add Reggie Nelson to that list.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2020, 01:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd also add Reggie Nelson to that list.

Indeed; as I mentioned, a leader in every group Wink

DT: Peko
DE: Dunlap/MJ
LB: Burfict
S: Nelson
CB: Adam Jones
STs: Vinny Rey (if you can consider STs in the same vein as the defense)

Personally, I think every room was tasked with setting a leader and that's how it stayed throughout.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2020, 01:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd also add Reggie Nelson to that list.

I think Adam Jones was the undisputed alpha of that group while he was here.  Players, for better or worse, really seemed to gravitate toward him. Despite his off-field stupidity, he was always a relentless worker and fierce competitior.  He'd fight absolutely anyone at any time for whatever reason.  He was the dude that nobody wanted to piss off by not doing their job.  

I think one of if not the biggest problem with the defense in recent years is the absence of Jones/Nelson and their ability to keep the secondary lined up correctly.  They've just seemed lost.  The players aren't altogether untalented.  The coordinators have been multiple and varied in approach.  They just don't have anyone holding them accountable.
Reply/Quote

IDK.  I tend to believe that they're going defense in the second as they are indicating through Hobson.  I would actually prefer your idea to his.  The receivers on the roster with speed and ability to separate (AJ and Ross) just aren't available very often.  I just don't feel awesome about going into another season leaning on them to be big contributors, only to see them miss 10 or 12 games.

I'm hoping they at least get a WR in the 3rd or 4th, maybe a guy like Hodgins, to add depth and hedge against injury.  I also like Lynn Bowden (UK homer), but I'm not sure where he fits.  He's not exactly in the mold of a Green/Ross in terms of speed.

I think they build the D this year and add on offense next.  Ideally, I'd like to add offense now and get defensive help in FA, but that's not how they tend to operate here.
Reply/Quote
We do have holes on defense - obviously linebacker, but also at CB and we have an aging defensive line. And as someone pointed out there is really no alpha guy on that side of the ball.

But personally I think the priority is to to give Burrow a strong supporting cast in this draft. I think if we get a really good FA guard and a really good FA LB we will be able to do that.

I know the wisdom is to wait a little later to draft a WR in a very deep draft. I just want to make sure whoever they draft will check the important boxes: football speed, ability to separate, reliable hands, good YAC player, mentally tough.

I don't think Ross will ever have enough of those things to become a reliable threat. And even with Green we have one of the slowest receiver corps in the league. It's critical that we get another stud receiver, and it's just as important to completely solidify the interior of the offensive line. The first 3 picks will be critical.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 04:33 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Burrow will get a WR fairly high in this draft, I just don't know if it will be Jefferson, Mims, Pittman, or who.  I think Green will be a Bengal for next 3 years.

There will be a LOT of WRs who people project as Day 2 talents who end up on Day 3 because of how good the class is as a whole.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote