Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Trump As Bad As The Media Makes Him Sound?
If you listen to any news, read any online mainstream articles, or watch any news or opinionated shows, you'd think Trump was the worst thing since Hitler, but is that just because the media is liberal and because that's what sells?
He doesn't need medias to insult people on Twitter as far as I know

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(06-06-2017, 02:24 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: If you listen to any news, read any online mainstream articles, or watch any news or opinionated shows, you'd think Trump was the worst thing since Hitler, but is that just because the media is liberal and because that's what sells?

The MSM doesn't make Trump sound bad, he does that himself. Trump is very inarticulate, banal and no doubt has some learning disabilities that he keeps secret. The MSM just repeats all the moronic statements he says. If the commander in tweets don't want to come off as a illiterate buffoon he should get off Twitter. That would be a step in the right direction.
(06-06-2017, 02:24 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: If you listen to any news, read any online mainstream articles, or watch any news or opinionated shows, you'd think Trump was the worst thing since Hitler, but is that just because the media is liberal and because that's what sells?

Does it make it any more palatable when someone hears what he calls other people via conservative news outlets? Is picking people to join his administration who already work for foreign governments more of a bad idea because it's reported by WaPo? Is an administration full of lobbyists and insiders not an administration full of lobbyists and insiders because someone points out these are the same people abusing the system for the last four decades?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Trump is as bad as you perceive him to be.

There are plenty of stories about his mistakes, miscues and flat out lies.  But if someone wants to ignore that because he signed an EO to have a study done to see if something needs changed or not then they will not think he is as bad as he is based on what he says and does otherwise.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-06-2017, 08:59 AM)Benton Wrote: Does it make it any more palatable when someone hears what he calls other people via conservative news outlets? Is picking people to join his administration who already work for foreign governments more of a bad idea because it's reported by WaPo? Is an administration full of lobbyists and insiders not an administration full of lobbyists and insiders because someone points out these are the same people abusing the system for the last four decades?

That's my thing. I try very hard to read an article and look past the "flavor" that the author has put to it, but that doesn't make it much better. I'm the type of guy that reads GAO reports and listens to their podcast for fun, so I am looking for those primary sources as often as possible and the only real difference between what is reported in the media and what is actually happening is, well, there isn't much happening. Trump's nominated, what, 20% of the confirmation appointments out there? This is unprecedented and it is really damaging our government's capabilities.

The reality may not be as bad as some media outlets paint it, but it certainly isn't a rosy picture.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Let's take his recent tweets. While his advisors were prompted to accuse the media of "obsessing over him", they're just reporting his tweets. Reporting that his tweets are hindering his administration's efforts to defend his unconstitutional travel ban doesn't make him look bad. The tweets themselves do that.

He's grossly unprepared for this job, and his childish behavior and incompetence just get further magnified as the job gets harder.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-06-2017, 09:17 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: That's my thing. I try very hard to read an article and look past the "flavor" that the author has put to it, but that doesn't make it much better. I'm the type of guy that reads GAO reports and listens to their podcast for fun

You're the one?

Mellow

Quote:so I am looking for those primary sources as often as possible and the only real difference between what is reported in the media and what is actually happening is, well, there isn't much happening. Trump's nominated, what, 20% of the confirmation appointments out there? This is unprecedented and it is really damaging our government's capabilities. 

The reality may not be as bad as some media outlets paint it, but it certainly isn't a rosy picture.

Seriously, you make a good point. One of the issues with any government agency is how effectively it can do it job through the resources its given. I'm a small government guy, so I'm ok with some agencies slowing down. But at the same time, there's issues that are too big to just allow them to run their course. 
Do bears shit in the woods?

You have touched on one of the big divisions in current politics.

The MSM report what Trump actually says and does, which is pretty bad. And yes, sometime reporters do show alarm. They have never seen anything like the Trump show. And they expect serious consequences for the economy and in foreign policy.

On the other side, or "inside" if think, as I do, of the Right Wing media bubble, there is a very different Trump. The RWM report on Trump's "promises" and signs the economy is set now for a great surge in jobs and production, and other countries now respect us because they realize Trump is a "leader."  All the bad press is just 1) liberal reporters upset that Hillary did not win and 2) the Obama deep state fighting to keep the globalist status quo. Inside the bubble, there is a serious disconnect between assessments of Trump and his actions, such that the MSM is blamed for creating the furor over Trump's sharing of classified info with our adversaries, or they defend actions such as pulling out of the Paris Agreement.

The only way to know which side to trust here is to check the reporting against Trump's actions. For some things, that's easy. Did he or did he not make fun of a disabled reporter? You look at the video and decide. Did he or did he not tweet that Obama wiretapped his office, or that Comey better watch out cuz there might be tapes?  You look at the tweets yourself and decide. For others, it is not so easy. Is the stock market booming because of Trump--or are we still benefiting from the Obama economy? No easy way to tell that.

In another three months we will have more to go on. We'll be better able to see the consequences of Trump's presidency for both the economy and foreign policy. Perhaps we shall begin to see how the two are linked, and whether isolationism increases jobs and security or not.
(06-06-2017, 03:25 PM)Dill Wrote: You have touched on one of the big divisions in current politics.

The MSM report what Trump actually says and does, which is pretty bad. And yes, sometime reporters do show alarm. They have never seen anything like the Trump show. And they expect serious consequences for the economy and in foreign policy.

On the other side, or "inside" if think, as I do, of the Right Wing media bubble, there is a very different Trump. The RWM report on Trump's "promises" and signs the economy is set now for a great surge in jobs and production, and other countries now respect us because they realize Trump is a "leader."  All the bad press is just 1) liberal reporters upset that Hillary did not win and 2) the Obama deep state fighting to keep the globalist status quo. Inside the bubble, there is a serious disconnect between assessments of Trump and his actions, such that the MSM is blamed for creating the furor over Trump's sharing of classified info with our adversaries, or they defend actions such as pulling out of the Paris Agreement.

The only way to know which side to trust here is to check the reporting against Trump's actions. For some things, that's easy. Did he or did he not make fun of a disabled reporter? You look at the video and decide. Did he or did he not tweet that Obama wiretapped his office, or that Comey better watch out cuz there might be tapes?  You look at the tweets yourself and decide. For others, it is not so easy. Is the stock market booming because of Trump--or are we still benefiting from the Obama economy? No easy way to tell that.

In another three months we will have more to go on. We'll be better able to see the consequences of Trump's presidency for both the economy and foreign policy.  Perhaps we shall begin to see how the two are linked, and whether isolationism increases jobs and security or not.

All good points here.

Something that I wonder is how much other countries actually like/dislike Trump compared to the US. I've heard people from other countries say Trump is considered an embarrassment while I've heard others give him praise  Others have also noted that Trump actually isn't covered as much in their countries and a lot of the stuff he says or tweets barely makes it as "news" where they live, as they have their own problems going on within their own countries.

I feel like we as Americans tend to think American news is World news, when it really isnt. That's not to say American news isnt imporant in other countries, it just makes me wonder how much other countries actually care. Perhaps they're like us and there is no overwhelming like/dislike either way.
From an european point of view, we don't laugh at America because we have a lot of respect for the USA but come on, that dude is just not fit for the job.

For me, it is Biff Tannen president.

America deserves way better than this.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Considering he has no respect for the office, and says whatever he is thinking via twitter, yeah he is pretty much that bad. Sure there is media that probably overblows some things that they probably ignored with Obama. But overall most of it comes from Trump himself.

The other day I was watching the movie 'Lincoln', which I thought was a very good portrayal by Daniel Day Lewis. Anyways I was watching it with my parents as it was on when I was over there, and said look how far the Republican party has come from Lincoln to Trump. Then said we could use some of Lincoln today. Parents who voted for Trump at first got pissy about it, then I said well, it's true. Lincoln was a brilliant politician & speechwriter. Trump, well, yeah.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Except Fox news. ThumbsUp
He doesn't need the media to make him look bad just an open mic and no filter.

He likes Twitter because it's unfiltered and ironically it's the way he uses that platform that makes him look the most unqualified.

It's the way he spoke at his rallies that showed who he is. Offering to pay legal fees for anybody who seeks violence at his rallies, mocking a disabled reporter, mocking John McCain for being captured, yelling "Take his coat!" as a peaceful protestor gets dragged out into the cold and the examples go on.

Those are examples that are Trump's own words any other twisting is done by his supporters who want to believe he's a good guy despite the evidence. Those moments either resonate with you or they don't but they aren't the media's fault the blame lands squarely on the shoulders of Trump. Yeah Trump is real and his real self has been foul, ugly and totally naive.
Trump got elected because enough Americans believed that an intentionally offensive and amoral con-man with absolutely no political experience was exactly what this country needed. Trump's negative attributes were spun into positives by his fan-base, so I don't see why people have the idea that the guy is being targeted and made to "look bad" now that he is president.

Enough people bought the narrative that this country had gotten soft under Obama and that we were just letting manners and politeness lead us down a path of ruin. A man who didn't care if he offended people, wasn't afraid to just grab whatever and whomever he wanted, who would come right out and say that certain groups of people are flat-out ruining everything was just what we needed.

In short, yes Trump is bad but we were (are?) convinced that having a bad guy on our side is exactly what this country needs to undo the damage the liberal wimps have done to us. Everyone laughs at us. We don't win anymore. We're being forced to be politically correct. We aren't allowed to just flat-out admit that Muslims are evil and ruining everything, etc.

We needed a big bully to fight for us. We can all admit that Trump is a bastard, but some of us think having a bastard "on our side" is just what we need. Honor among thieves, and so on. Why complain that Trump looks bad now? That's just what he told us we needed and what he promised he'd be.
(06-06-2017, 06:39 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: The MSM doesn't make Trump sound bad, he does that himself. Trump is very inarticulate, banal and no doubt has some learning disabilities that he keeps secret. The MSM just repeats all the moronic statements he says. If the commander in tweets don't want to come off as a illiterate buffoon he should get off Twitter. That would be a step in the right direction.

That's not what Brad asked. He was asking why the media tries to make him out to be Hitler.

Yeah Trump is inarticulate and sounds like a buffoon, Hitler not so much.
I definitely think the MSM goes outta their way to show unflattering images of Trump. He definitely gives them a lot of opportunities, but I'm sure better shots exist for almost every photo that you see of him. He usually looks like he's breathing heavily out if his mouth, drooling, or about to blow a gasket. I guess it's no different than the right leaning media usually depicting (in images) Hillary as a premenstrual, frothing she devil.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(06-07-2017, 01:09 AM)jason Wrote: I definitely think the MSM goes outta their way to show unflattering images of Trump. He definitely gives them a lot of opportunities, but I'm sure better shots exist for almost every photo that you see of him. He usually looks like he's breathing heavily out if his mouth, drooling, or about to blow a gasket. I guess it's no different than the right leaning media usually depicting (in images) Hillary as a premenstrual, frothing she devil.

He is orange. Strangles himself with a tie that is too long. Has had the same hair since i knew who he was. And talks in duck face like a tween taking a selfie. You dont even have to photo shop that shit. 
(06-07-2017, 01:29 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He is orange. Strangles himself with a tie that is too long. Has had the same hair since i knew who he was. And talks in duck face like a tween taking a selfie. You dont even have to photo shop that shit. 

Oh I know. If he didn't constantly attack them, I'm sure they'd have a few better shots hidden up their sleeves.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021