Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Will Clarke ready to step up?
Per Bengals.com he showed up a lot bigger and stronger than last season:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Larger-Clarke-Hopes-To-Play-Bigger-Role/2fbf2a2e-5124-477c-a021-61f6ab50e0f8

So will the increased strength and size translate into on field success? Did he lose any speed in the process? If Clarke is indeed able to fully contribute that provides a big boost to us getting our DL rotation back. If he does show he's ready the DL group could be:

DE: Johnson, Dunlap, Gilberry, Clarke

DT: Atkins, Peko, Sims, Hardison

On the edge: Thompson, Still

I could be wrong as to the position groups, and indeed we may decide to keep 9 or 10 DL this time out and go light elsewhere. What do you think?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We can only hope that Clarke steps up. We like to rotate our DL a lot so he should get a decent number of snaps this season. I don't think the coaches would've had him bulk up so much if it affected his speed too much. It seems that he's the future Gilberry in terms of backup RE and kick inside to DT on passing downs.

As for how many DL we carry? Too early to tell. There's no telling with injuries, plus if someone shows some versatility, then they'll probably go lighter and try to hang onto someone else.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 05:15 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: We can only hope that Clarke steps up. We like to rotate our DL a lot so he should get a decent number of snaps this season. I don't think the coaches would've had him bulk up so much if it affected his speed too much. It seems that he's the future Gilberry in terms of backup RE and kick inside to DT on passing downs.

As for how many DL we carry? Too early to tell. There's no telling with injuries, plus if someone shows some versatility, then they'll probably go lighter and try to hang onto someone else.

He never had much field speed. 
He was always going to be a MJ-lite power rusher from the edge.

His money will be made at DT in subpackages. But now he's got Hardison to worry about there. 

Just another reason I didn't like that pick. We needed (still do) a legitimate edge threat. We have ignored it since we took the disaster in Moch.

And we passed on Turner, John Brown, Moncrief, Ellis....ugh. Never mind. 
Reply/Quote
Thompson is essentially guaranteed a spot unless he completely screws up in preseason. He's great as the third tackle. Buti really don't have hopes in Clarke. He hasn't even shown a flash where I was impressed with him. Gets bullied in the running game, and his only pass rush is "push forward"
Reply/Quote
He was a workout warrior and great work ethic guy in college. Tried his hardest and never gave up. It just never translated into success onto the field. Something I'm a little afraid will continue. Although I have seen him have some good plays and impress me with those. But I never really expected much from him.

Hoping him or Hunt can actually step up.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 07:56 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Thompson is essentially guaranteed a spot unless he completely screws up in preseason. He's great as the third tackle. Buti really don't have hopes in Clarke. He hasn't even shown a flash where I was impressed with him. Gets bullied in the running game, and his only pass rush is "push forward"

(07-08-2015, 08:00 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: He was a workout warrior and great work ethic guy in college. Tried his hardest and never gave up. It just never translated into success onto the field. Something I'm a little afraid will continue. Although I have seen him have some good plays and impress me with those. But I never really expected much from him.

Hoping him or Hunt can actually step up.

*waits for obligatory yeah but his 3 tackles were stops! post* 
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 05:03 PM)Joelist Wrote: Per Bengals.com he showed up a lot bigger and stronger than last season:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Larger-Clarke-Hopes-To-Play-Bigger-Role/2fbf2a2e-5124-477c-a021-61f6ab50e0f8

So will the increased strength and size translate into on field success? Did he lose any speed in the process? If Clarke is indeed able to fully contribute that provides a big boost to us getting our DL rotation back. If he does show he's ready the DL group could be:

DE: Johnson, Dunlap, Gilberry, Clarke

DT: Atkins, Peko, Sims, Hardison

On the edge: Thompson, Still

I could be wrong as to the position groups, and indeed we may decide to keep 9 or 10 DL this time out and go light elsewhere. What do you think?

Since we signed Johnson and Sims, then drafted Hardison I've been figuring the Bengals were going to keep 9 for the DL, with Still and Hunt needing impressive enough camps to knock one of the others out. Neither did much last year and both being 2nd picks that didn't pan out it's time to just cut the cord. I don't remember the team ever keeping 10  Dlinemen on the 53 going into a season.

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 05:26 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He never had much field speed. 
He was always going to be a MJ-lite power rusher from the edge.

His money will be made at DT in subpackages. But now he's got Hardison to worry about there. 

Just another reason I didn't like that pick. We needed (still do) a legitimate edge threat. We have ignored it since we took the disaster in Moch.

And we passed on Turner, John Brown, Moncrief, Ellis....ugh. Never mind. 

I've always felt Marvin has the opinion that pass rushers are not viable or something.

I think it's his LB mentality... but we seem to never get any edge rusher types in here.

Had a shot at various different guys this year but passed for the OT

Obguehi will be a best, but I always imagine what our defense would look like with a guy that could roam around and cause scary pressure packages....
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 03:29 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I've always felt Marvin has the opinion that pass rushers are not viable or something.

I think it's his LB mentality... but we seem to never get any edge rusher types in here.

Had a shot at various different guys this year but passed for the OT

Obguehi will be a best, but I always imagine what our defense would look like with a guy that could roam around and cause scary pressure packages....

If he has a LB mentality then why hasn't he drafted a Pro Bowl linebacker? Besides Thurman, he never drafted a Pro Bowl linebacker. And he drafted a pass rushing LB, he just put him in at DE. But Moch was a dream that never came true.
Reply/Quote
Marvin spent a good long time trying to find his next Boulware.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 03:48 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: If he has a LB mentality then why hasn't he drafted a Pro Bowl linebacker? Besides Thurman, he never drafted a Pro Bowl linebacker. And he drafted a pass rushing LB, he just put him in at DE. But Moch was a dream that never came true.

Because he also has the opinion that he can turn any UDFA LB into an all pro... not exactly sure why we never draft in the front 7.

Have we ever picked a LB or DE/DT in the first round during his 12 years? None come to mind.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 12:11 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Because he also has the opinion that he can turn any UDFA LB into an all pro... not exactly sure why we never draft in the front 7.

Have we ever picked a LB or DE/DT in the first round during his 12 years? None come to mind.

David Pollack
Keith Rivers
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'd prefer an 8 man oline and a 10 man dline in 2015.  

Oline (8):  Whit/Fisher, Boling, Bodine/TJ Johnson, Zeitler, Smith/Winston
PUP:  Ogbuehi
PS:  Trey Hopkins (G), Jake Smith (C )?

Fisher is being groomed to back up 4 oline positions, and Ogbuehi may be available week 7 or later (if needed at all).  
Winston is the first tackle off the bench; Fisher is the first guard off the bench.  

Dline (10):  Dunlap/Clarke, Atkins/Hardison, Peko/Thompson/Sims, MJ90/Gilberry/Hunt
Cut:  Devon Still

This preserves dline depth/rotation, prepares for the potential departure of Gilberry/Peko in 2016, and hopefully helps with the run-defense woes evidenced in the playoffs.  

2016 oline (9):  Ogbuehi/Whit, Boling/Hopkins, Bodine/TJ Johnson?, Zeitler, Fisher/Rookie
2016 dline (9):  Dunlap/Clarke, Atkins/Hardison, Thompson/Rookie, MJ90/Rookie/Hunt?
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 02:33 PM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: I'd prefer an 8 man oline and a 10 man dline in 2015.  

Oline (8):  Whit/Fisher, Boling, Bodine/TJ Johnson, Zeitler, Smith/Winston
PUP:  Ogbuehi
PS:  Trey Hopkins (G), Jake Smith (C )?

Fisher is being groomed to back up 4 oline positions, and Ogbuehi may be available week 7 or later (if needed at all).  
Winston is the first tackle off the bench; Fisher is the first guard off the bench.  

Dline (10):  Dunlap/Clarke, Atkins/Hardison, Peko/Thompson/Sims, MJ90/Gilberry/Hunt
Cut:  Devon Still

This preserves dline depth/rotation, prepares for the potential departure of Gilberry/Peko in 2016, and hopefully helps with the run-defense woes evidenced in the playoffs.  

2016 oline (9):  Ogbuehi/Whit, Boling/Hopkins, Bodine/TJ Johnson?, Zeitler, Fisher/Rookie
2016 dline (9):  Dunlap/Clarke, Atkins/Hardison, Thompson/Rookie, MJ90/Rookie/Hunt?

No reason to keep TJ Johnson. 
Winston won't make the team. 

Johnson made the team because he can play C/G....with Fisher in the mix and the fact he's not very good, he shouldn't make the roster. 

The best (and realistic) OL group would include:
Whit - Boling - Bodine - Zeitler - Smith
Fisher being the primary backup at OT
Hopkins being the backup at OG 
and if Bodine goes down, put Zeitler at C. 

Winston performed admirably down the stretch, but if Fisher plays well and basically just doesn't fall flat on his face, I see no reason to keep Winston.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 02:45 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: No reason to keep TJ Johnson. 
Winston won't make the team. 

Johnson made the team because he can play C/G....with Fisher in the mix and the fact he's not very good, he shouldn't make the roster. 

The best (and realistic) OL group would include:
Whit - Boling - Bodine - Zeitler - Smith
Fisher being the primary backup at OT
Hopkins being the backup at OG 
and if Bodine goes down, put Zeitler at C. 

Winston performed admirably down the stretch, but if Fisher plays well and basically just doesn't fall flat on his face, I see no reason to keep Winston.

The Bengals have had 9 olinemen on their 53 man roster since at least 2006.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/8/30/6086347/cincinnati-bengals-53-man-roster-breakdown-since-2006

The Bengals going from 9 olinemen to 8 would be a HUGE step.

You are proposing 7 olinemen. I don't see this happening.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 03:20 PM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: The Bengals have had 9 olinemen on their 53 man roster since at least 2006.  
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/8/30/6086347/cincinnati-bengals-53-man-roster-breakdown-since-2006

The Bengals going from 9 olinemen to 8 would be a HUGE step.

You are proposing 7 olinemen.  I don't see this happening.

8. Ogbuehi would be PUP/IRDR 

Didn't include him since he's a non-factor for the first half of the season
Reply/Quote
If Clarke could play he would have gotten more snaps last season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 03:47 PM)J24 Wrote: If Clarke could play he would have gotten more snaps last season.

Probably true. 
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 03:47 PM)J24 Wrote: If Clarke could play he would have gotten more snaps last season.

Not true.

There have been lots of good NFL players who did nothing their rookies seasons.

I am not saying Clarke will be a good player, but it is ridiculous to judge a guy on his rookie season.
Reply/Quote

Will Clarke got the same amount of Defensive Snaps as Darqueze Dannard last year. Do you have hopes for him?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote