Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Zac Taylor’s team too football woke?
This has nothing to do with governmental politics.

Concussions have been a contentious issue the past few years with good reason and the game of football has been asked to change how players interact with each other on the field. One change that hasn’t been discussed much is how the offensive line has been nerfed in the running game - a few years ago the NFL started to call holding calls in greater amount on traditional running plays as a way to incentivize teams to pass more or run more ‘safely’ (i.e. from the shotgun). This is one of the reasons why the NFL ‘feels’ different than years past.

I was writing a post earlier that didn’t get posted - my general observation was that the offensive line is looking to stand in the way but not actually ‘block’. In pass pro, I see players who refuse to meet their players with any pop and in the running game to get a body on a body but not actually push downfield. This might be healthier for the offensive lineman as I see much fewer head to head collisions but the lack of aggression will get Burrow killed and I’m starting to wonder why we have Mixon on the team if they aren’t going to take the running game seriously. Forget Hart, Jonah looked like he was playing flag football.

Taylor’s play calling is up and down. He calls too many shotgun runs with close personnel and the passing concepts seem too surgical. There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot difference in play calling from last year. Burrow seems to do best in a controlled run and gun with seam routes which he can neutralize the LB with and take off for runs. But the oline prevents them from attacking further parts of the field. I am cautiously optimistic but I fear that keeping the offense too close will continue the trend from Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 02:09 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: This has nothing to do with governmental politics.

Concussions have been a contentious issue the past few years with good reason and the game of football has been asked to change how players interact with each other on the field. One change that hasn’t been discussed much is how the offensive line has been nerfed in the running game - a few years ago the NFL started to call holding calls in greater amount on traditional running plays as a way to incentivize teams to pass more or run more ‘safely’ (i.e. from the shotgun). This is one of the reasons why the NFL ‘feels’ different than years past.

I was writing a post earlier that didn’t get posted - my general observation was that the offensive line is looking to stand in the way but not actually ‘block’. In pass pro, I see players who refuse to meet their players with any pop and in the running game to get a body on a body but not actually push downfield. This might be healthier for the offensive lineman as I see much fewer head to head collisions but the lack of aggression will get Burrow killed and I’m starting to wonder why we have Mixon on the team if they aren’t going to take the running game seriously. Forget Hart, Jonah looked like he was playing flag football.

Taylor’s play calling is up and down. He calls too many shotgun runs with close personnel and the passing concepts seem too surgical. There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot difference in play calling from last year.  Burrow seems to do best in a controlled run and gun with seam routes which he can neutralize the LB with and take off for runs. But the oline prevents them from attacking further parts of the field. I am cautiously optimistic but I fear that keeping the offense too close will continue the trend from Sunday.

I saw 2 guys that were playing physical and maintaining their blocks. Williams and XSF. The only guy i haven't gone back to watch yet is Hopkins.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 02:17 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I saw 2 guys that were playing physical and maintaining their blocks. Williams and XSF. The only guy i haven't gone back to watch yet is Hopkins.

In defense of Hart, you have to start the block to be able to maintain it...  Whatever

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Too "football woke?"  Um, I don't think so.  After all, the defense was hitting very hard, especially Jessie Bates.  I hear he's appealing both penalties levied against him which he should.  He hit those guys hard but he hit them clean.

The offense is another story; I don't see aggressiveness or "push" from the offensive line and I don't think this is due to "football wokeness."  Rather, I believe it's due to lack of proper technique.  After the game Willie Anderson spoke at length on Bobby Hart's inability to use his outside hand correctly; this is a very advanced technique!  Willie explained how correct use of the outside hand against a defensive end keeps him in his lane.

If the Cincinnati Bengals want to immediately upgrade the offensive line I think poopcanning Jim Turner might be a thought followed by hiring Willie Anderson and/or Joe Walter.  I remember in 2009 listening to Joe on Bengals Line wax eloquently about how to use proper leverage to move a defensive linemen any way he wanted to move him.

Lack of technique leads to lack of confidence which leads to lack of energy which leads to missing blocks.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:58 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Too "football woke?"  Um, I don't think so.  After all, the defense was hitting very hard, especially Jessie Bates.  I hear he's appealing both penalties levied against him which he should.  He hit those guys hard but he hit them clean.

The offense is another story; I don't see aggressiveness or "push" from the offensive line and I don't think this is due to "football wokeness."  Rather, I believe it's due to lack of proper technique.  After the game Willie Anderson spoke at length on Bobby Hart's inability to use his outside hand correctly; this is a very advanced technique!  Willie explained how correct use of the outside hand against a defensive end keeps him in his lane.

If the Cincinnati Bengals want to immediately upgrade the offensive line I think poopcanning Jim Turner might be a thought followed by hiring Willie Anderson and/or Joe Walter.  I remember in 2009 listening to Joe on Bengals Line wax eloquently about how to use proper leverage to move a defensive linemen any way he wanted to move him.

Lack of technique leads to lack of confidence which leads to lack of energy which leads to missing blocks.

Yeah but Bates wasnt leading with his helmet... What a p***y.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I'm still trying to figure out what "Football woke" is?
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 02:09 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: This has nothing to do with governmental politics.

Taylor’s play calling is up and down. He calls too many shotgun runs with close personnel and the passing concepts seem too surgical. There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot difference in play calling from last year.  Burrow seems to do best in a controlled run and gun with seam routes which he can neutralize the LB with and take off for runs. But the oline prevents them from attacking further parts of the field. I am cautiously optimistic but I fear that keeping the offense too close will continue the trend from Sunday.

I read this post twice and I'm still trying to figure out what your point is...
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 01:32 AM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: I read this post twice and I'm still trying to figure out what your point is...

You’re not the only one...

Reply/Quote