Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals ain’t the only team that got screwed by the refs
The AJ call was fine. People are just upset that the calls didnt go both ways.
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/9/13/21435486/joe-burrow-aj-green-bengals-chargers-offensive-pass-interference-nfl-rules
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 02:48 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Or he could of just fully extended his arms. Injury maybe????

From rewinding it endlessly and going frame by frame, i don't think he could have caught it even with his arms fully extended. He short armed it a bit, but not much. TBH, it's not that easy fully extending your arms while running full speed. It does throw your balance off. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:22 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: From rewinding it endlessly and going frame by frame, i don't think he could have caught it even with his arms fully extended. He short armed it a bit, but not much. TBH, it's not that easy fully extending your arms while running full speed. It does throw your balance off. 

Well since this whole thread is based upon the premise that the refs have no clue what they are doing I'll say that he should have made catching the the ball the top priority and hoped they blew the call and declared it a TD.  
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The AJ call was fine.

The AJ call was correct, The issue is the same crew ignored Mike Williams doing similar things at least 3 times. It is like an umpire changing the strike zone in the 9th inning, it is not right.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:31 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Well since this whole thread is based upon the premise that the refs have no clue what they are doing I'll say that he should have made catching the the ball the top priority and hoped they blew the call and declared it a TD.  

My favorite part is the armchair WRs who know what Ross should have done without knowing what it takes to do it. I know, i know. It's his job to "at least make the effort". 

I'm pretty much 'whatever' because, well before this point, Ross has shown a tendency to not go 100% at times, so it shouldn't be a surprise when it looks like he did it again. 

I'm speaking from a purely general standpoint; that pass was pretty much impossible for anyone in the history of the NFL to catch, in bounds. 

If people are looking for more effort, where Ross is concerned...why waste the energy at this point?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Here's a question. Which is better?

1. Ross lays out, knowing he won't come down in bounds, gets both hands on the ball but when he lands, injures himself and misses 4+ games.
2. Ross does what he did, knowing he can't come down in bounds and stays healthy to continue playing. 

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: My favorite part is the armchair WRs who know what Ross should have done without knowing what it takes to do it. I know, i know. It's his job to "at least make the effort". 

I'm pretty much 'whatever' because, well before this point, Ross has shown a tendency to not go 100% at times, so it shouldn't be a surprise when it looks like he did it again. 

I'm speaking from a purely general standpoint; that pass was pretty much impossible for anyone in the history of the NFL to catch, in bounds. 

If people are looking for more effort, where Ross is concerned...why waste the energy at this point?

Meh, I hear ya and it was game 1 and other logical stuff.  We have plenty of time to see if the notion that Ross will be able to catch a ball from Burrow more so than Dalton comes to fruition. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Here's a question. Which is better?

1. Ross lays out, knowing he won't come down in bounds, gets both hands on the ball but when he lands, injures himself and misses 4+ games.
2. Ross does what he did, knowing he can't come down in bounds and stays healthy to continue playing. 

Well Ross stinks so who cares
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:22 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: From rewinding it endlessly and going frame by frame, i don't think he could have caught it even with his arms fully extended. He short armed it a bit, but not much. TBH, it's not that easy fully extending your arms while running full speed. It does throw your balance off. 

He's a freakin' NFL WR for crying out loud. Now if you want to bend the expectations for a below average NFL WR then just come out and say it. This guy has no idea how to play a reception that isn't thrown directly to him. Burrow's job is to clear the DB and the WR's job is to run under it and catch it or at least make every effort to cradle that ball. Those plays that might/ might not require dragging your feet are practiced non stop.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:10 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Well Ross stinks so who cares

DAmmit. I knew i should have made that 'Option 3'. Rant

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:17 PM)higgy100 Wrote: He's a freakin' NFL WR for crying out loud. Now if you want to bend the expectations for a below average NFL WR then just come out and say it. This guy has no idea how to play a reception that isn't thrown directly to him. Burrow's job is to clear the DB and the WR's job is to run under it and catch it or at least make every effort to cradle that ball. Those plays that might/ might not require dragging your feet are practiced non stop.

I'm not making excuses for anyone. Did you miss the catch across the middle, in the 4th, that he made yesterday?

That's Ross right now. Very inconsistent. He shouldn't be but he is. 

Now it's on the coaches to make the decision if he's worth putting out there. He's obviously not going to change. 

As far as dragging his feet...no. That wasn't going to happen on that pass with him or any receiver. It's simple physics. That pass wasn't going to be caught in bounds. 

Reply/Quote
We didn’t lose because of the refs. There was too many mistakes. That said, I thought the unnecessary roughness call was bogus. The zebras see a big hit and automatically throw the flag. It was a clean shoulder to shoulder hit
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 02:56 AM)ah5 Wrote: Doesn't matter his job is to catch it. He should be running track.

Sent from my BV9600 using Tapatalk
Not necessarily. I definitely think Ross is only being used to take the top off the defense.

You need to get one of the fastest men in the NFL more involved in the offense. Be more creative.

I saw 0 jet sweeps. I saw 0 reverses. I saw 0 WR screens. I saw 0 direct snaps.

Get the man the football and let him try to make a play...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Here's a question. Which is better?

I don't blame ross for the missed TD. I have never been one to think that just because you get the tip of a finger on a ball it should be expected to be caught. And, you're right, if he dives, he doesn't get 2 feet in for it to count anyway.

That is a tough throw/play call from that distance in general. It has to be perfect and with Ross missing the majority of camp, it's unreasonable to think it could/should be.

I'm more curious as to the what ifs on plays in the first half where Burrow was looking to go down field and couldn't because he was sacked or pressured within two seconds or less. There were so many points that should have developed with protection that a 21 point lead at the half is reasonable to envision.
Reply/Quote