Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is aggressive playcalling vs KC the new default
Even Taylor acknowledges how aggressive the playcalling has been. Not in terms of going long, but specifically 4th downs. We saw the long sequence at the end last year's regular season game. Then we saw the 4th down that Dunlap stopped this year before half, then Burrow hitting Tee later for a clutch play at the end.

I'm watching the replay now, and Burrow did a sneak on 2nd and 1, possibly the most conservative play call scenario there is in the game. So, with all the talk of having to play almost video game style vs Mahomes, at what point do the Bengals "catch them off guard" by playing conservative?

We hate when we see the offense "play not to lose", but if the running game is working well and the defense continues to play KC well where is the line? If nothing else, KC's D has to be rattled in these scenarios that Cincy has shown them.
Reply/Quote
Not gonna lie... I HATE when the Bengals pass on 3rd or 4th and inches. Burrow had to throw one in the dirt vs the Ravens.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2023, 06:47 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Not gonna lie... I HATE when the Bengals pass on 3rd or 4th and inches.  Burrow had to throw one in the dirt vs the Ravens.

The inverse is, "We are so predictable everyone in the building knew that was going to be a run". 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2023, 06:45 PM)phil413 Wrote: Even Taylor acknowledges how aggressive the playcalling has been.  Not in terms of going long, but specifically 4th downs.  We saw the long sequence at the end last year's regular season game.  Then we saw the 4th down that Dunlap stopped this year before half, then Burrow hitting Tee later for a clutch play at the end.  

I'm watching the replay now, and Burrow did a sneak on 2nd and 1, possibly the most conservative play call scenario there is in the game.  So, with all the talk of having to play almost video game style vs Mahomes, at what point do the Bengals "catch them off guard" by playing conservative?

We hate when we see the offense "play not to lose", but if the running game is working well and the defense continues to play KC well where is the line?  If nothing else, KC's D has to be rattled in these scenarios that Cincy has shown them.

Interestingly enough, Cincinnati is one of the most conservative teams in the entire league on 4th downs. Only one team (Saints) attempted fewer 4th down conversions than Cincinnati's 12 and only two teams had a lower 4th down attempt % (4th down attempts divided by total 4th downs). 

ZT is not aggressive when it comes to 4th, but he tends to be more aggressive elsewhere. That may not be his choice, necessarily, since Cincinnati is so poor running the ball.
Reply/Quote
Heres the thing lots of teams lose giving the ball back to Mahomes. If you are down 3 and you decide to punt the ball on your 40 instead of going for it on 4th and 1.

Well next thing you know you're down 10. When you could have tied or been up 4 points.

It's kinda like Madden sometimes with Mahomes you have to keep him off the field and score when your on offense to win games. Bengals have to do that against a player of his caliber.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow is an aggressive QB so it makes sense they would play more aggressive football.

Aggressive
Reply/Quote
I feel like in 10 years we’re gonna get analytics that say being aggressive is good long term. I feel like every team should go for way more 4th and 1s
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2023, 10:03 PM)Housh Wrote: I feel like in 10 years we’re gonna get analytics that say being aggressive is good long term. I feel like every team should go for way more 4th and 1s

I feel like depending on the matchup yes you will convert more than you fail. Only time I would be worried about it is running up against something like a Ravens defense that you know can just blow you up. But a weaker defense? Definitely.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Doesn't have to be. One of this team's best qualities is that it can beat teams in a variety of ways. They don't have to go for one play one touchdown or hero ball type of stuff unless it's very late in the game and they need to close the gap. Part of Reid's philosophy seems to be to force teams to play from behind so that Spagnuolo can attack the QB. I don't mind watching them win with shallow crosser type routes, power running, and staunch defense one bit. If they have to punt more this game then so be it. Maybe STs and the D can try for a safety if they opt to punt more than they'd like. 
Reply/Quote
Zac talked about this before. 4th down decisions are made on, where you are on the field, what the score is and how many possessions you potentially have left.
Reply/Quote
I think it isn’t a more used gameplan because nobody has a Burrow that they can trust.

Being aggressive in playoff games is usually left to the Manning’s and Brady’s and Prime Russell Wilson’s. I watched the 1st two rounds every game and only us and KC were aggressive from the jump in every game. Jax played disgustingly conservative against their 1st opponent. The Chargers played conservative even with Herbert which surprised me. I think in that, it kinda helps we have no run game. Because now we don’t even TRY to really get it established unless it’s working. I feel like Zac would play more conservative if we had a good run game but eventually that’s hurt us l.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I'm in favor that when you have the most accurate QB in NFL history that you take the 68.2% completion and get that yard or two.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2023, 06:45 PM)phil413 Wrote: Even Taylor acknowledges how aggressive the playcalling has been.  Not in terms of going long, but specifically 4th downs.  We saw the long sequence at the end last year's regular season game.  Then we saw the 4th down that Dunlap stopped this year before half, then Burrow hitting Tee later for a clutch play at the end.  

I'm watching the replay now, and Burrow did a sneak on 2nd and 1, possibly the most conservative play call scenario there is in the game.  So, with all the talk of having to play almost video game style vs Mahomes, at what point do the Bengals "catch them off guard" by playing conservative?

We hate when we see the offense "play not to lose", but if the running game is working well and the defense continues to play KC well where is the line?  If nothing else, KC's D has to be rattled in these scenarios that Cincy has shown them.

Depends on the scenario.   The 4th and 1 sweep that Dunlap blew up could have easily cost us the game earlier this year.

I know the thinking.  "We need to score touchdowns."  But in that circumstance a better play would have been to kick the field goal and push the lead to seven points before half since the Chiefs were getting the ball.  You want to deny that halftime double-dip.

Speaking of which, the Chiefs deferred during the last game to try to get that double score.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs win the toss on Sunday if they take the ball.  They've seen how the Bengals like to take it and get momentum from the jump.  The Bills were down two scores before they knew what hit them.

The Chiefs will want to prevent that and it will have the side benefit of getting Mahomes warmed up right away.  The last thing they want is Mahomes starting the game on the sideline waiting through a seven minute scoring drive.

To counter this we'll want to execute that double dip.  Joe has been great at scoring at the end of the half and hopefully we'll see that.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2023, 04:38 AM)Roland Wrote: Depends on the scenario.   The 4th and 1 sweep that Dunlap blew up could have easily cost us the game earlier this year.

I know the thinking.  "We need to score touchdowns."  But in that circumstance a better play would have been to kick the field goal and push the lead to seven points before half since the Chiefs were getting the ball.  You want to deny that halftime double-dip.

Speaking of which, the Chiefs deferred during the last game to try to get that double score.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs win the toss on Sunday if they take the ball.  They've seen how the Bengals like to take it and get momentum from the jump.  The Bills were down two scores before they knew what hit them.

The Chiefs will want to prevent that and it will have the side benefit of getting Mahomes warmed up right away.  The last thing they want is Mahomes starting the game on the sideline waiting through a seven minute scoring drive.

To counter this we'll want to execute that double dip.  Joe has been great at scoring at the end of the half and hopefully we'll see that.

I thought possibly the same but with that crowd expected to be in the 140+ decibel level I'm sure they expect they can stop the Bengals on the first drive and grab early momentum.  But if they don't lookout.  Go up early and hope maybe some of those "we can't beat these guys" thoughts start creeping in.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote