Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it...or is it...
When someone types 6"1', is that 6 feet 1 inch or are they typing a foot and a half?
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 10:49 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: When someone types 6"1', is that 6 feet 1 inch or are they typing a foot and a half?

6" = 6 inches

1' = 1 foot

Either a typo or a backward way of saying a foot and a half. ThumbsUp
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 11:37 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: 6" = 6 inches

1' = 1 foot

Either a typo or a backward way of saying a foot and a half. ThumbsUp

I thought so, I saw it and was confused for a second
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 12:14 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I thought so, I saw it and was confused for a second

I weep for public education.
Reply/Quote
[Image: front_spinaltap-325x325.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 10:49 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: When someone types 6"1', is that 6 feet 1 inch or are they typing a foot and a half?

Was it in a personal ad? 
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 12:46 PM)xxlt Wrote: Was it in a personal ad? 

No, someone posted on a message board that they ordered a 28" pizza before a long night of gaming. I saw it and thought, "a 28 foot pizza?" and others who responded continued on with the measurements trolling the guy.

For some reason, as people continued to post, it started to look correct, lol.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 09:37 PM)Beaker Wrote: I weep for public education.

I used to train operators to run machine tools and test equipment.
Some folk learn better by audio instruction,others are visual learners, and some need hands on formats.
A percentage of students " just don't get it " despite good quality instructors. Sad
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 03:07 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: I used to train operators to run machine tools and test equipment.
Some folk learn better by audio instruction,others are visual learners, and some need hands on formats.
A percentage of students " just don't get it " despite good quality instructors. Sad

Some expecting a foot and half and get six feet and an inch. 

And, some promising a foot and a half and barely deliver more than an inch. 

A lot of it depends on if a guy measures or a girl, which is why I asked if it was in a personal ad!  Wink
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: [Image: front_spinaltap-325x325.jpg]

That's gold! 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 10:07 PM)xxlt Wrote: That's gold! 

To be honest that is when I first learned the correct usage of (') and (").
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To be honest that is when I first learned the correct usage of (') and (").

Clearly, This Is Spinal Tap belongs in the common core of US education.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 09:37 PM)Beaker Wrote: I weep for public education.

I hated geometry...but loved math.

Knowing the difference between "  and '  is something I didn't learn until later in life.  Partially because I have no skills that would involve me measuring anything to build something and partially because anything involving geometry makes me sad.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote