Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it the OLine or the RB’s
Mixon's best, most underrated attribute is that he doesn't often put the ball on the ground. He doesn't have great speed, but the guy grounds out the really tough yardage and keeps possession of the ball. If you don't think that is invaluable think back to one Jeremy Hill..  It's a game of keepaway as much as being able to outrun everyone else.. Oh yeah..He can actually catch the damned ball too with the best of them.. Now they have a legit speed guy as well..it's a nice option to have a grinder and someone who can take it to the house. That ain't nothing..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Like I mentioned in the other thread we are seeing alot more heavy packages from the Bengals. More big guys up front help the running game which also helps sell the PA Screens.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 09:19 AM)bonesaw Wrote: Who has stats for under center vs shotgun?  I've been trying to watch but my kids have sports on Sundays and be sporadically watching.  I know with Joe we're in shotgun 100 percent of the time.  Under center probably is helping the linemen with their weight being more forward, always a plus in the run game

Here is the data for the entire season. 

[Image: zJcoEib.png]

...and for the last three weeks

[Image: Ty81HwP.png]

...and broken down by rusher

[Image: 2I4qTr1.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 11:02 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Here is the data for the entire season. 

[Image: zJcoEib.png]

...and for the last three weeks

[Image: Ty81HwP.png]

...and broken down by rusher

[Image: 2I4qTr1.png]

This doesn't highlight a big difference between shotgun and under center it more highlights the production of Chase Brown. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The play style has changed.

We have gone from throwing the ball over 50 times a game to Browning averaging about 30 attempts per game.

When Burrow is in full spread, opposing defensive lineman pin their ears back and just rush the passer. They don't even care about the run. Even if its an RPO, Burrow keeps it about 75% of the time. Why would you even care to try and stop the run at that rate?

The offense under Browning at least keeps the defenses honest. It's really that simple.

It would behoove the Bengals to incorporate some of the things they are doing with Browning with Burrow when he comes back (think 49ers game). It would make this offense unstopable.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 11:05 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Probably biggest thing is not being in shotgun 97% of the time.

It's a combination of not being in shotgun, but also handing more of the RPOs off when you are in a shotgun. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 11:11 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The play style has changed.

We have gone from throwing the ball over 50 times a game to Browning averaging about 30 attempts per game.

When Burrow is in full spread, opposing defensive lineman pin their ears back and just rush the passer. They don't even care about the run. Even if its an RPO, Burrow keeps it about 75% of the time. Why would you even care to try and stop the run at that rate?

The offense under Browning at least keeps the defenses honest. It's really that simple.

It would behoove the Bengals to convince Joe to use some of the things they are doing with Browning when he comes back (think 49ers game). It would make this offense unstopable.

FIFY
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 10:48 AM)Synric Wrote: Like I mentioned in the other thread we are seeing alot more heavy packages from the Bengals. More big guys up front help the running game which also helps sell the PA Screens.

Also in the passing game after Pitt to alleviate the protection calls falling on Jake.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 11:10 AM)Synric Wrote: This doesn't highlight a big difference between shotgun and under center it more highlights the production of Chase Brown. 

Yeah, I'm really happy with what I have seen from him. His speed in-and-of-itself is an effective tool for forcing missed tackles. He can make almost any angle look like a bad angle and slip away. There was one of his explosives from the Jags game where they ran a counter under center and he was one-on-one with either a linebacker or safety and he was able to run right around them with a little hop to save his ankles. His ability as a runner once he has the ball in his hands is dynamic. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 01:48 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Depends on the defense. You just are not going to line up and run it down Pitsburgh's throat or any other team in our division. You are going to have to throw it more. Right now where we are in our schedule, I think it's a combo of the line and the backs hitting the holes fast and strong

Teams have been running down Pittsburgh's throat all year. The narrative that these are the big bad Steelers are we shouldn't be able to run on them is just false. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 11:17 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, I'm really happy with what I have seen from him. His speed in-and-of-itself is an effective tool for forcing missed tackles. He can make almost any angle look like a bad angle and slip away. There was one of his explosives from the Jags game where they ran a counter under center and he was one-on-one with either a linebacker or safety and he was able to run right around them with a little hop to save his ankles. His ability as a runner once he has the ball in his hands is dynamic. 

It makes me angry they gave Mixon 95% of the carries through the first 13 something games of the season. They should have incorporated Brown from the start...especially for a team lacking so much speed on offense. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 09:13 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Pittsburgh was really bringing an extra defender into the box. I heard on Twitter every time we went under center. Not sure if we only ran from under center that game? But they appeared to commit to the idea of making Browning beat them. Unfortunately for us this was still in the Browning run Burrows offense time. Browning really struggled in particular with post snap reads and left alot out there. 

He struggled on the protection calls. After Pitt They brought in an extra TE and allowed him to think about his reads and the coverages. With the protection calls to worry about plus reads and coverages he was overwhelmed.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 11:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It makes me angry they gave Mixon 95% of the carries through the first 13 something games of the season. They should have incorporated Brown from the start...especially for a team lacking so much speed on offense. 

Brown had a hamstring issue and also wasn’t ready. He was overwhelmed but has grasped the offense better.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 11:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It makes me angry they gave Mixon 95% of the carries through the first 13 something games of the season. They should have incorporated Brown from the start...especially for a team lacking so much speed on offense. 

Brown had a hamstring issue and wasn’t ready. He was overwhelmed but has grasped the offense better.

Reply/Quote

The plan was to get him involved much earlier IIRC but then he injured his hamstring ands went on IR. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 11:17 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, I'm really happy with what I have seen from him. His speed in-and-of-itself is an effective tool for forcing missed tackles. He can make almost any angle look like a bad angle and slip away. There was one of his explosives from the Jags game where they ran a counter under center and he was one-on-one with either a linebacker or safety and he was able to run right around them with a little hop to save his ankles. His ability as a runner once he has the ball in his hands is dynamic. 

His agility and vision seem pretty good too, as evidenced by that little 'skip step' he took en route to that 54 yard TD catch and run.  That was smooth, as he didn't even have to adjust his speed, and the defender was coming so hard on that angle that there was no time for him to adjust his vector.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 11:51 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I really think Chase Brown is making the run game look good. Mixon is averaging 3.7 ypc the last 2 games. So he still isn’t good

Brown has been able to win some one on one's, which your RB has to be able to do to have a successful running attack in the NFL.  He's also shown a great burst and open field speed, so he can do major damage if he gets it in the open field.  

However, the run game wasn't really effective in this one.  Mixon averaged 3.8 a carry and Brown only 3.1.  They ran the ball a lot to chew clock because the D was completely shutting Indy down.  The Colts only had 272 yards of offense.  Also, they wanted to chew clock because they were coming off an OT game on a short week.  
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 11:05 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Probably biggest thing is not being in shotgun 97% of the time.

100 % agreed. Joey B will need to step out of is comfort zone when he returns 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 11:22 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Brown had a hamstring issue and also wasn’t ready. He was overwhelmed but has grasped the offense better.

(12-11-2023, 11:24 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: The plan was to get him involved much earlier IIRC but then he injured his hamstring ands went on IR. 

He hurt his hamstring leading up to week 7 - they gave him like two carries leading up to that. It's still ridiculous they didn't use him at all before that. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 11:45 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He hurt his hamstring leading up to week 7 - they gave him like two carries leading up to that. It's still ridiculous they didn't use him at all before that. 

And with Joe hurt and Chase struggling in protection mostly due to inexperience? Gotcha.

Reply/Quote