Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it time?
Is it time to draft a QB and develop him to replace Dalton in a year or so? Personally, I say yes. With Zac Taylor becoming our new head coach, it would be a perfect time to find our QB of the future. The problem is the Bengals would have to move up in the draft to get a decent QB. Not sure any team would be willing to do so. Dalton's time is winding down and maybe the Bengals can even trade him to another team. The Browns went after Mayfield and it looks like he will pan out for example. I just think it is time.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 03:57 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Is it time to draft a QB and develop him to replace Dalton in a year or so? Personally, I say yes. With Zac Taylor becoming our new head coach, it would be a perfect time to find our QB of the future. The problem is the Bengals would have to move up in the draft to get a decent QB. Not sure any team would be willing to do so. Dalton's time is winding down and maybe the Bengals can even trade him to another team. The Browns went after Mayfield and it looks like he will pan out for example. I just think it is time.

I guess we'll find out in due time.  I don't really see Dalton as winding down.  Who knows how the new staff will see him.

I do have a hard time picturing some crazy draft day trade to get one of the QB's in this draft.  None of them seem worth trading up for.  If one falls to you, that could be a different story.

There will be plenty of work to do this off season without adding coaching up a new rookie QB to it all.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
short answer NO.. long answer: possible next year/ year after really depends on vision and performance..

I expect Taylor to come in and win with the team we will put on the field next year especially in a parity league. Dalton has proven he can win but if if we don;t win this year with Dalton's contract coming up depending on his level of performance/pay than I would say next year or year after we would look at drafting or trading for a QB.

Plus from all accounts this might be the worst projected QB draft in a while. When is the last time, that the projected QB might go with #5.. very few teams are looking at a QB much higher than that..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 03:57 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Is it time to draft a QB and develop him to replace Dalton in a year or so? Personally, I say yes. With Zac Taylor becoming our new head coach, it would be a perfect time to find our QB of the future. The problem is the Bengals would have to move up in the draft to get a decent QB. Not sure any team would be willing to do so. Dalton's time is winding down and maybe the Bengals can even trade him to another team. The Browns went after Mayfield and it looks like he will pan out for example. I just think it is time.

I don't see it this year. This team could make a run with a fixed OL and LBing corp. Of course, I'm talking about a *real* fixed OL, not the bandaided one like last year's fix. Same for the LBers.

There should be better QB opportunities next year as well.

Reply/Quote
I think it depends on how well Andy plays the next season or so. If this staff can take us deep in the playoffs with Andy under center it's a no brainer, but I would at least like to seer a competent backup who can take over in games when things start going bad for him. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 03:57 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote:  The Browns went after Mayfield and it looks like he will pan out for example.  

Hilarious

Did you seriously try to use the Browns as an example of why we should use a first round pick on a QB?

We need all our picks for other positions and the odds of us drafting a QB better than Dalton are pretty slim.  Since we drafted Dalton in 2011 only 5 of the 25 QBs taken in the first round have a higher passer rating than Dalton.  Almost half (11 of 25) have a passer rating in the 60's and 70's.
Reply/Quote

I think it definitely is within the next couple of years.  I'm not sold on this year's crop, but the next couple of drafts look promising at this point.  It's time to start looking, no question.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If Haskins or Lock is there in round 2 somehow, which is a stretch, I think they pull the trigger. But I think they will go after either a DL prospect or White at backer at #11.

A new QB in 2020 may be a more likely.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I don't see it happening with this QB draft class unless the prospects make BIG moves before draft day.

Would certainly understand taking a guy that Taylor likes in round 3 or later, but if I'm Taylor I focus on fixing our O-Line and Linebacker Corps this year with the high picks.
Reply/Quote
Taylor will look at position and go this was a 4 and 1 team with a healthy Dalton behind a jacked up oline.not 0 and 5.
next year they draft their qb of the future.
Reply/Quote
I think this is the best time for Bengals to consider a QB. Everyone talks about waiting until next year but if you expect the Bengals to have a quick turnaround with Zac Taylor and win a playoff game, the Bengals will be drafting in the 20s and I doubt any guys will be on the board at that point. At 11, you can get Kyler Murray (spare me with his height, his talent is unreal regardless) who is a playmaker or Haskins if he slides for some reason or Zac demands them to trade up a few spots. Tyree Jackson is an interesting 2nd or 3rd round prospect but he has coordination issues. Devin White isn't going singlehandedly fix the LBs. They need to use FA regardless, which I expect they will do. Pairing a great QB with a great coach is the recipe for success. Many teams have holes just like the Bengals but are able to still succeed by having that combination. If you expect the Bengals to have another down year where Dalton has a hot start but comes back to earth by midseason, thus hurting his trade value, then maybe next year will be the better opportunity to look for the next QB.
Reply/Quote
Tobin just reiterated they are committed to Dalton down at the Senior Bowl, so we can shut this and all other threads on it down lol. He said they aren't tossing the draft board at any position but seems pretty set with Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: Tobin just reiterated they are committed to Dalton down at the Senior Bowl, so we can shut this and all other threads on it down lol. He said they aren't tossing the draft board at any position but seems pretty set with Dalton.

I guess it stands to reason that Zac is part of "they."
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:37 PM)McC Wrote: I guess it stands to reason that Zac is part of "they."

Not sure, I think they (the organization) would prefer any new coach to come in and go 1 year with Dalton because of the friendly deal and their loyalty and solid results with him. Now if he struggles under the new coach this coming season I could see them going another direction next year in a much better draft class. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:38 PM)Au165 Wrote: Not sure, I think they (the organization) would prefer any new coach to come in and go 1 year with Dalton because of the friendly deal and their loyalty and solid results with him. Now if he struggles under the new coach this coming season I could see them going another direction next year in a much better draft class. 

If they hired the OC he wants, I'm thinking he has had his say about our QB situation.  And Zac is a QB guy.  His current job is QB coach and hell, he was a QB.  I'm going to trust him when it comes to QB's.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:42 PM)McC Wrote: If they hired the OC he wants, I'm thinking he has had his say about our QB situation.  And Zac is a QB guy.  His current job is QB coach and hell, he was a QB.  I'm going to trust him when it comes to QB's.

Maybe, Tampa for instance said whoever went there had to keep Jameis so it's not unheard of for teams to let the QB dictate the coach a bit at least in the short term. This team isn't a QB away from short term success, I think the organization thinks additional speed on defense and some line improvements gets them in the hunt (Tobin alluded to both at the Senior Bowl).
Reply/Quote
This is what AU is referring to regarding commitment to Dalton.

https://www.bengals.com/news/scouts-business-as-usual
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:49 PM)Au165 Wrote: Maybe, Tampa for instance said whoever went there had to keep Jameis so it's not unheard of for teams to let the QB dictate the coach a bit at least in the short term. This team isn't a QB away from short term success, I think the organization thinks additional speed on defense and some line improvements gets them in the hunt (Tobin alluded to both at the Senior Bowl).

He's right on about that.

And, at the very least, he's okay running with AD for the coming year if he wants the job. 

I am dying to hear his first Bengal PC.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:52 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is what AU is referring to regarding commitment to Dalton.  

https://www.bengals.com/news/scouts-business-as-usual

I like pretty much everything he says there.  Has he been reading these boards?

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:01 PM)McC Wrote: I guess we'll find out in due time.  I don't really see Dalton as winding down.  Who knows how the new staff will see him.

There will be plenty of work to do this off season without adding coaching up a new rookie QB to it all.

(01-22-2019, 04:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: short answer  NO.. long answer: possible next year/ year after really depends on vision and performance..

Plus from all accounts this might be the worst projected QB draft in a while.  When is the last time, that the projected QB might go with #5.. very few teams are looking at a QB much higher than that..

(01-22-2019, 04:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We need all our picks for other positions and the odds of us drafting a QB better than Dalton are pretty slim.  Since we drafted Dalton in 2011 only 5 of the 25 QBs taken in the first round have a higher passer rating than Dalton.  Almost half (11 of 25) have a passer rating in the 60's and 70's.

(01-22-2019, 04:11 PM)Wyche Wrote:  I'm not sold on this year's crop, but the next couple of drafts look promising at this point. 

(01-22-2019, 04:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: Tobin just reiterated they are committed to Dalton down at the Senior Bowl, so we can shut this and all other threads on it down lol. He said they aren't tossing the draft board at any position but seems pretty set with Dalton.

Agreed!

I'm all in for a good spring cleaning. But lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Based on how Goff's career trajectory was changed, I am optimistic of Dalton's future. He is starting from a higher baseline.
Reply/Quote