Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Hoping Bengals New Coaches Have Say In Draft & Player Moves
I'd say the Bengal coaches have always had a big say in who we draft, but if you look around the league there are very few head coaches run the draft. That is the GMs job. The best teams have coaches and GMs who work together well.

The fact is none of us know how much influence Mike or Marvin had in our draft picks. All we have are rumors, and sometimes those change over time.
Reply/Quote
At this point, I don't know who i trust to make these picks for the Bengals. I have a theory the Bengals are just a scheme to make the Brown family rich off the money from endorsement deals, ticket sales, and the NFL paychecks.

If I do not respond in a few days, you know who silenced me.
Reply/Quote
I just hope whoever it is does a good job. I'm ready to move on from reading mock drafts to reading depth chart predictions lol.
Reply/Quote
Again, to hear Coach Lewis disagree with 1st round draft picks and letting players like Whitworth leave, and this goes back to what Coach Shula said about Mike Brown. What Brown Family has done since Paul Brown died hasn't worked. No play-off wins since 1990 season. So let the new coaches have a say in every pick. Don't draft a player the new coaches don't want. Get On The Same Page. Stop being all about Brown Family Front Office, it doesn't Work.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 01:14 AM)CloeHokie Wrote: While I agree with most of what you are stating here the scouts have to come into account. I do not feel we have done bad at drafting the last 10 years or so which I attribute to Katie more than MB. If the head coach likes a certain OT that will fit his offense they absolutely have to take that into account. Same with any position really. Just chucking that out as an example. Keeping players in FA is hard for a coach to do though. I did not want to let Whit go either but that is on MB and trying to save some loot. It is hard to keep everyone though and we have made some smart moves in not overpaying for Zeitler or Michael Johnson etc.

I am all in on Taylor as well and think we would be stupid not to take his advice on who he wants seriously. But I do think there can be some collaboration that just fits. At least a 50/50 with the coach getting the nod would work for me.

Fisher and Ogbuehi set us back for years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Perhaps Talor can get the most out of players, perhaps not. What has always bugged me is players languishing on practice squads and never getting opportunities to show if they can make a difference in the season. Practice squad guys occasionally make the roster, sure, but we've seen guys never get off it as well. Whitfield comes to mind. I'd like to know he's at least been given the chance to show he can cut it. On the PS we seem to never get to see them, decent or not other than preseason games where everyone is a savant until the regular season when they vanish.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The love affair between ML & MB seemed like it was never going to end. Yet, once ticket sales were all time low, MB decided to cut the cord and bring in something new. We’ve had this discussion repeatedly in here, but with different thread titles. The FO will always be involved on player decisions. Why? They sign the paychecks. Also, if the complaints in the OP are valid, I’m sure ZT would have addressed it before taking a job nobody wanted. Remember the FO is part of the team and will always have a say so in every aspect of what decisions are made.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 10:02 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I just hope whoever it is does a good job. I'm ready to move on from reading mock drafts to reading depth chart predictions lol.

I've been done with mock drafts for like a month now.

I just hope that whatever the brain trust is they really nail it this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2019, 12:20 AM)kevin Wrote: Again, to hear Coach Lewis disagree with 1st round draft picks

I never heard him disagree with a first round pick.  Do you have a link?
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2019, 04:34 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Fisher and Ogbuehi set us back for years.

True. And refusing to admit the mistake and recover via FA made it worse.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote