Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it time?
this year is weak.... maybe in the mid rounds if you want a backup... Next year will be a better time to look for QBs

But I leave all this in the hands of the new HC and personel department...

When we had a healthy roster, Decent OC and an average OL Dalton was in the MVP race.... so he might not be the piece that needs replacing.
Reply/Quote
We need a great OL, first and foremost. Doesn't matter who QB is if you dont have a great line in front of him.
Reply/Quote
Let me clarify my position.  It sounds like I am 100% Dalton, but if he struggles with upgraded talent around him next year then they will be forced to draft a guy next year.  I just don't think Dalton will struggle with any reasonable amount of talent around him.

Also I am not opposed to using a fourth, or maybe even a third on a QB this year.  Dalton is only under contract for two more years, and #2 QB is more important than a lot of people think.  If the starting has a season-ending injury most teams are screwed.  But if the starter is only out a few weeks the season can still be salvaged.  So it is important to have a back up capable of being competitive.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 03:57 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Is it time to draft a QB and develop him to replace Dalton in a year or so? Personally, I say yes. With Zac Taylor becoming our new head coach, it would be a perfect time to find our QB of the future. The problem is the Bengals would have to move up in the draft to get a decent QB. Not sure any team would be willing to do so. Dalton's time is winding down and maybe the Bengals can even trade him to another team. The Browns went after Mayfield and it looks like he will pan out for example. I just think it is time.

Key missed point? The Browns went after Mayfield a AFTER adding...
-JC Tretter, C
-Kevin Zeitler, OG
-Chris Hubbard, OT
-David Njoku, TE
-Jarvis Landry, WR

Combine that with drafting RB Nick Chubb and already having OG Joel Bitonio (2018 Pro Bowler). So Mayfield had a great middle three OL and a decent OT to keep the pocket from collapsing and letting him step up, a great RB to hand it off to, a 4x Pro Bowl WR, and a 1st round TE as a safety blanket.

(Their defense, while not being particularly good otherwise, was 2nd in Takeaways.)

If the Bengals draft a QB this year, the guy is going to have a now frequently hurt AJ Green (2 out of the last 3 years and 3 out of the last 5 missing significant time), a good Boyd (who has been hurt both of the last 2 years), some backup TEs who aren't starter quality, an OL of exactly 1 starting quality player, and a great Mixon (who has been hurt every year of his career).

That's not going to net the same results even if the Bengals do somehow manage to get the 1st overall pick rather than the 11th.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I hope we tank In two years and get sunshine. Lawerence is an absolute stud
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 06:32 PM)GodFather Wrote: We need a great OL, first and foremost. Doesn't matter who QB is if you dont have a great line in front of him.

I’ll settle for even a good OL. I don’t except 5 pro bowlers, but guys like Hart and Redmond can not be starters on any team that has serious aspirations of winning.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
It wouldn't surprise me if the Bengals do what the Chiefs did with drafting a QB and playing Dalton for another year only to trade him the following year.

However, this QB class is the weakest it's been since 2015.
Haskins is the best QB.
Daniel Jones tries to do too much and there will be questions about his accuracy, decision making, and lack of sensing pressure.
Kyler Murray is a great talent but obviously there are questions about his size. High risk, high reward.
Drew Lock has been pretty inconsistent. He was garbage against defenses like Georgia and Alabama. But has also had some great games.
Will Grier reminds me a lot of Andy Dalton. Good accuracy with some decent zip on the ball. Clean pocket and he's great. Once it breaks down and he gets hit/hurried a lot, things fall around him.

Gimme 2020.
Justin Herbert. Jake Fromm. Shea Patterson. Jarrett Stidham. Jacob Eason.

I'd take those 5 over the 5 I listed from this year's draft
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 07:52 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: It wouldn't surprise me if the Bengals do what the Chiefs did with drafting a QB and playing Dalton for another year only to trade him the following year.

However, this QB class is the weakest it's been since 2015.
Haskins is the best QB.
Daniel Jones tries to do too much and there will be questions about his accuracy, decision making, and lack of sensing pressure.
Kyler Murray is a great talent but obviously there are questions about his size. High risk, high reward.
Drew Lock has been pretty inconsistent. He was garbage against defenses like Georgia and Alabama. But has also had some great games.
Will Grier reminds me a lot of Andy Dalton. Good accuracy with some decent zip on the ball. Clean pocket and he's great. Once it breaks down and he gets hit/hurried a lot, things fall around him.

Gimme 2020.
Justin Herbert. Jake Fromm. Shea Patterson. Jarrett Stidham. Jacob Eason.

I'd take those 5 over the 5 I listed from this year's draft

This is what I'm thinking will happen as well. I'm not so sure they'll do it this season though ? Oh they may take a flyer on somebody very late ? But I'd say they'll wait until next year to draft 1st round QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 06:51 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I hope we tank In two years and get sunshine. Lawerence is an absolute stud

Disagree that we should tank based on someone's first year.

Many people said the same thing about Sam Darnold after his first year in USC.
Darnold beat two top 5 teams. Three top 16 teams.

Next year? Many turnovers.
13 INTs and 9 fumbles.
Had 20 turnovers in the NFL throughout 13 games. (15 INTs, 5 fumbles).

I like Lawerence a lot, but you have to see how they develop the next year.

Reply/Quote
I feel like I'd rather roll with Dalton for one more year and reevaluate in 2020.

This QB class feels eerily similar to the Geno Smith/EJ Manuel flop in 2013.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
It is time to get Dalton’s replacement on board. Unless they are in love with one of the QB’s in this draft, the best course of action would be to make some trades now and stockpile picks to use in order to move up in the draft for a QB next year.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 07:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This is what I'm thinking will happen as well. I'm not so sure they'll do it this season though ? Oh they may take a flyer on somebody very late ? But I'd say they'll wait until next year to draft 1st round QB.

Definitely. Build that offensive line up. Got a nice corp of young offensive weapons. The Bengals can build up for the future this year while also contend for a playoff spot.

I've always wanted to see Dalton with a new HC.

Also, Dalton's best year came when people were talking about McCarron taking over his spot after a subpar 2014 season.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:30 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I think this is the best time for Bengals to consider a QB. Everyone talks about waiting until next year but if you expect the Bengals to have a quick turnaround with Zac Taylor and win a playoff game, the Bengals will be drafting in the 20s and I doubt any guys will be on the board at that point. At 11, you can get Kyler Murray (spare me with his height, his talent is unreal regardless) who is a playmaker or Haskins if he slides for some reason or Zac demands them to trade up a few spots. Tyree Jackson is an interesting 2nd or 3rd round prospect but he has coordination issues. Devin White isn't going singlehandedly fix the LBs. They need to use FA regardless, which I expect they will do. Pairing a great QB with a great coach is the recipe for success. Many teams have holes just like the Bengals but are able to still succeed by having that combination. If you expect the Bengals to have another down year where Dalton has a hot start but comes back to earth by midseason, thus hurting his trade value, then maybe next year will be the better opportunity to look for the next QB.

So we turn it around and win a playoff game, then you sign Dalton for extension if affordable.. no worries about 20th pick.. besides Dalton was a 2nd round pick and has played well overall so you can still find good QBS in 2/3 round just have to scout correct like we did with Andy
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 08:44 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Definitely. Build that offensive line up. Got a nice corp of young offensive weapons. The Bengals can build up for the future this year while also contend for a playoff spot.

I've always wanted to see Dalton with a new HC.

Also, Dalton's best year came when people were talking about McCarron taking over his spot after a subpar 2014 season.

Me to,

In fact I'm anxious to see what the entire O can do with (hopefully) better coaching. And again hopefully a better Oline.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 08:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me to,

In fact I'm anxious to see what the entire O can do with (hopefully) better coaching. And again hopefully a better Oline.

If it doesn't work out? Cool. Move on with a high draft pick you just got.
If it does work? Can still trade Dalton depending on how the season finishes and draft a replacement.

I view 2019 as a bridge year. 2020 is when I think we'll fully start the future of this team.

Reply/Quote
Who's everybody's favorite QB prospect next year?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 09:33 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Who's everybody's favorite QB prospect next year?

I'm really intrigued by Jacob Eason. Dude showed some good talent with Georgia. Would like to see him play this season.
Also really like Jake Fromm.

I'm up and down with Justin Herbert. Dude certainly has a TON of talent, but can also be inaccurate and makes more turnover throws than he should. He has the traits you want in a NFL QB. But has some concerns with his accuracy and decision making.
I hope this year back at college will help him improve a lot

Reply/Quote

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 07:13 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote:

[Image: 80aaa7df691959a35a193272a1713c45.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 03:10 AM)fredtoast Wrote: [Image: 80aaa7df691959a35a193272a1713c45.jpg]

[Image: 91JQr1BgC5L.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote