Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it time?
(01-25-2019, 03:27 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: [Image: 91JQr1BgC5L.jpg]

So that is where Andy got his hair style.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: short answer  NO.. long answer: possible next year/ year after really depends on vision and performance..

I expect Taylor to come in and win with the team we will put on the field next year especially in a parity league. Dalton has proven he can win but if    if we don;t win this year with Dalton's contract coming up depending on his level of performance/pay than I would say next year or year after we would look at drafting or trading for a QB.

Plus from all accounts this might be the worst projected QB draft in a while.  When is the last time, that the projected QB might go with #5.. very few teams are looking at a QB much higher than that..

The year Chicago reached for Trubisky. Everyone said it was a huge reach and no other QB went in the top 10. FWIW that class also included Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. I think all 3 are playing some ball in Orlando this weekend.

As to the OP: I wouldn't reach; however, I wouldn't avoid it if a QB was BPA. I'd like to see something like we did with AJM. Just maybe in the 4th RD; because we usually pick well in the 4th.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2019, 11:50 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The year Chicago reached for Trubisky. Everyone said it was a huge reach and no other QB went in the top 10. FWIW that class also included Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. I think all 3 are playing some ball in Orlando this weekend.

If I listed three nemas of people who won the lottery would that convince you to devote your retirement savings to lottery tickets.

I know finding a good QB is not as rare as hitting the lottery, but it is silly to ignore the odds and just look at the success stories.  As I have stated before onlyb 5 of the 25 QBs taken in the first round since 2011 have a higher career passer rating than Dalton, and 11 of the 25 have career ratings in the 60's and 70's.  What you keep calling an "average" starter is actually very hard to find.  There are not enough for every team to have one.  That is why teams with average starting QBs (who are not old) use their assets to build a team aroiund them instead of gambling on finding another QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2019, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If I listed three nemas of people who won the lottery would that convince you to devote your retirement savings to lottery tickets.

I know finding a good QB is not as rare as hitting the lottery, but it is silly to ignore the odds and just look at the success stories.  As I have stated before onlyb 5 of the 25 QBs taken in the first round since 2011 have a higher career passer rating than Dalton, and 11 of the 25 have career ratings in the 60's and 70's.  What you keep calling an "average" starter is actually very hard to find.  There are not enough for every team to have one.  That is why teams with average starting QBs (who are not old) use their assets to build a team aroiund them instead of gambling on finding another QB.

Dude asked a question: I answered it. I also so said QB early is not a priority. Really no need to "prove a point".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Yeah I'm thinking I'd rather wait til next year:

Daniel Jones
Drew Lock
Dwayne Haskins
Jarrett Stidham
Kyler Murray
Ryan Finley
Tyree Jackson
Will Grier

Jacob Eason
Jake Fromm
Justin Herbert
KJ Costello
Shea Patterson
Tua Tagovailoa
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 10:55 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Yeah I'm thinking I'd rather wait til next year:

Daniel Jones
Drew Lock
Dwayne Haskins
Jarrett Stidham
Kyler Murray
Ryan Finley
Tyree Jackson
Will Grier

Jacob Eason
Jake Fromm
Justin Herbert
KJ Costello
Shea Patterson
Tua Tagovailoa

True that, or even 2021.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
It also looks like the competition for drafting a QB would be lighter in 2020 as well - assuming all of the QB-needy teams this year end up taking one in the draft or FA (Broncos, Raiders, Dolphins, Giants, Redskins).

You've got teams with older QBs that might be looking to replace them (Patriots, Saints, Chargers, Steelers, Packers), however these teams typically do very well in the regular and post seasons and there's a good chance we end up picking before them anyway.
Reply/Quote
If we for some reason move on from Dalton this year.. (IE a cant refuse trade) Then I see us signing a stop gap veteran for a few years and then drafting a QB next year after we get more pieces into place.

But I don't see it to many holes to fix to worry about starting a new QB as well.
Reply/Quote
Boomer thinks they should stick with Andy.

https://www.bengals.com/news/super-notes-boomer-backs-dalton

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
How about a straight up trade Ross for rosen
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 09:45 AM)JackoinFlorida Wrote: How about a straight up trade Ross for rosen

No way Arizona would do that deal.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:05 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't see it this year. This team could make a run with a fixed OL and LBing corp. Of course, I'm talking about a *real* fixed OL, not the bandaided one like last year's fix. Same for the LBers.

There should be better QB opportunities next year as well.

Agree on QBs and want to agree on the rest but I think the holes won't be fixed this year. They are huge holes.
Reply/Quote
It’s a pretty cut and dry thing. Andy is not old for a qb. You could argue in the modern day NFL he is in his prime. If he has a great year be prepared for the wagon to get hitched to him for another 4/5 years because honestly if he balls out why would you be in a hurry.

If not you are prob in a good position to get a guy in next years crop.
IMO it’s that easy.

2019 will be decider of Dalton in stripes long term for better or for worse.
Reply/Quote
I look at how we had a boring off-season outside of the Taylor hire and wonder if they'll take a QB to generate excitement. Maybe they'll look at the Ravens and how they replaced Joe Flacco. Obviously just speculating here, but there's a lot of reasons why they may take a QB. You could also look at how they "kinda sorta" filled all their needs by retaining all of our guys sans Burfict, which kinda opens up that top pick. We also have a new regime, and new regime's go hand-in-hand with new QB's.

I'm not saying for sure it will happen, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 10:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I look at how we had a boring off-season outside of the Taylor hire and wonder if they'll take a QB to generate excitement. Maybe they'll look at the Ravens and how they replaced Joe Flacco. Obviously just speculating here, but there's a lot of reasons why they may take a QB. You could also look at how they "kinda sorta" filled all their needs by retaining all of our guys sans Burfict, which kinda opens up that top pick. We also have a new regime, and new regime's go hand-in-hand with new QB's.

I'm not saying for sure it will happen, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility.

For sure the team didn't do anything to bring in fixes for the OL or LB in free agency. And to then draft a QB to generate excitement and leave those same holes gaping wide certainly is not outside Mike Brown's thinking process.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 11:21 PM)BengalChris Wrote: For sure the team didn't do anything to bring in fixes for the OL or LB in free agency. And to then draft a QB to generate excitement and leave those same holes gaping wide certainly is not outside Mike Brown's thinking process.

I'm definitely trying to see it through Mike's eyes. It'd be a cheap way to put butts in seats.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2019, 11:20 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm definitely trying to see it through Mike's eyes. It'd be a cheap way to put butts in seats.

Fans did not stay home because of Andy.  They stayed home because we were losing.

And if "somthing new" will bring them back our new head coach should suffice.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2019, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Fans did not stay home because of Andy.  They stayed home because we were losing.

And if "somthing new" will bring them back our new head coach should suffice.

Fred I lived around Cincy long enough to know people generally aren't impressed with Dalton. Remember how he got boo'd at a charity softball game? 

I'm not saying they stayed home solely because of Dalton, but he's definitely a contributing factor for many. Do you not remember all the arguing we've done over Andy over the last 8 years? 

A new QB would bring a lot of people back, and even many pro-Andy guys wouldn't mind a change. Nothing excites casuals more than a new QB.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 12:31 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fred I lived around Cincy long enough to know people generally aren't impressed with Dalton. Remember how he got boo'd at a charity softball game? 

I'm not saying they stayed home solely because of Dalton, but he's definitely a contributing factor for many. Do you not remember all the arguing we've done over Andy over the last 8 years? 

A new QB would bring a lot of people back, and even many pro-Andy guys wouldn't mind a change. Nothing excites casuals more than a new QB.

Only if he wins.

I have been around Bengal fans enough to know that the ones who booed Dalton at a softball game will ***** and moan no matter what the team does unless they start winning.  They won't show up to support a struggling young QB in his rookie season.  Instead they will crucify him and start calling for something new.

You'll probably deny having any knowledge of them, but just a few months ago there were serious debates here about how the whole problem was Marvin and all we needed was a new coach.  Many fans claimed that the front office had done a good job and given Marvin "one of the best rosters in the league" and/or "plenty of talent to win".  Now we are only three months into having a new coach and already I am hearing "A new coach doesn't mean shit!  We have to have a new front office!  We have to have a new QB!"
Reply/Quote
I like Dalton well enough. I have no issue with him sticking around for the remainder of his current contract. But unless he absolutely tears it up the next two years and finally gets the playoff monkey off the team's back, I do not want the team re-signing him - especially to the kind of contract we've seen QBs getting lately. I like stability as much as the next guy, but he's simply not worth that kind of money. So even if Dalton is the starter for the next two years, they still need to pick a QB either this year or next.
Reply/Quote