Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it time?
(04-12-2019, 08:56 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I like Dalton well enough.  I have no issue with him sticking around for the remainder of his current contract.  But unless he absolutely tears it up the next two years and finally gets the playoff monkey off the team's back, I do not want the team re-signing him - especially to the kind of contract we've seen QBs getting lately.  I like stability as much as the next guy, but he's simply not worth that kind of money.  So even if Dalton is the starter for the next two years, they still need to pick a QB either this year or next.

Can't say I disagree, but one of the areas we need to upgrade is at backup QB. Driskel is CLEARLY not the answer.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 08:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Only if he wins.

I have been around Bengal fans enough to know that the ones who booed Dalton at a softball game will ***** and moan no matter what the team does unless they start winning.  They won't show up to support a struggling young QB in his rookie season.  Instead they will crucify him and start calling for something new.

You'll probably deny having any knowledge of them, but just a few months ago there were serious debates here about how the whole problem was Marvin and all we needed was a new coach.  Many fans claimed that the front office had done a good job and given Marvin "one of the best rosters in the league" and/or "plenty of talent to win".  Now we are only three months into having a new coach and already I am hearing "A new coach doesn't mean shit!  We have to have a new front office!  We have to have a new QB!"

I can only speak for myself, and I have never claimed Marvin was the only thing holding us back from winning. In fact, I've said that a poor roster is why we've been losing the last 3 years. We just needed to dump Marv regardless, due to his various other issues (Steelers, playoff games).

Also, never have I claimed that I need a new QB to be happy. I'm talking about the overall fan base. I don't think Zac Taylor and a very weak (on paper) staff and free agency is enough to win people back. Not sure why you'd disagree with that or make this a hater debate when you yourself have said you're not happy with the coaching staff or this free agency.

People are smart enough to smell status quo, and despite the change from Marv to Taylor, everything else felt like another day at the office for the Brown family.

Tbh we're getting away from my overall point, which is just me trying to see things through the eyes of Taylor and this front office.

With Andy's contract almost up, with a new coaching regime, with a pretty ho-hum free agency, I can see many reasons why they might take a QB early.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Depends really if we are going to commit to the re-build 100%. I would like to see A.J. McCarron back here, he is a good QB. I would prefer us to draft one this year rather than next year and him have to start from the get-go in at the deep end sink or swim.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 07:54 AM)WelshBengal85 Wrote: Depends really if we are going to commit to the re-build 100%. I would like to see A.J. McCarron back here, he is a good QB. I would prefer us to draft one this year rather than next year and him have to start from the get-go in at the deep end sink or swim.

If I were GM, I'd look at a Tackle (such as Andre Dillard) in round 1. I'd look to address LB in rounds 2-3 and look at a value QB in rounds 3-5.

I'd love to bring back Macaroni, but I have to wonder if his pride would allow it. Keep in mind he had to fight Mike to leave and from what I heard, he was pretty frustrated near the end.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
McCarron is with the texans now.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 11:22 AM)MentalRage Wrote: McCarron is with the texans now.

Oops. Forgot he signed with them. Hopefully he doesn't fall into the TJ Yates role. Heck, maybe we should sign Yates if he's available.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2019, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote:   That is why teams with average starting QBs (who are not old) use their assets to build a team aroiund them instead of gambling on finding another QB.

It all depends what you call old. This will be the ninth year for Andy. If they win six games will it be time or do we wait until he has been QB for a full decade? Eleven years? Twelve,? Thirteen? The schedule they have they will win at least six games that takes them out of the running for a top draft pick. You keep saying that because a QB is a top pick it doesn't mean he will be a success but it doesn't mean he will be worse than other QBs taken in later rounds. The MVP of the league in 2018 was a number ten pick in 2017. We may not match their success but like the lottery commercials say "You can't win if you don't play"
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 03:13 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: It all depends what you call old. This will be the ninth year for Andy. If they win six games will it be time or do we wait until he has been QB for a full decade? Eleven years? Twelve,? Thirteen? 

The number of years dont matter. It is based on how he plays.
Reply/Quote
I think if Haskins is available, we need to take him; we haven't had a high-expectation QB since (gasp) Carson Palmer. Dalton is "serviceable" but not spectacular, he's not the guy to carry the team past other deficiencies. As for free agency, we sucked, plain and simple, not that it's a surprise. Browns, Bills, Colts, many others made real moves. I'm pretty sure the Browns will beat us this year, and probably the rest of the division as well. All the more reason to draft a QB, the hardest position to find a franchise player.
Reply/Quote
What we need to realize is that we are not winning any championships anytime soon. We have a new HC with no HC experience, an average QB, a terrible O-line, and basically just a bunch of store manikins as line backers. I can live with an Average QB for 1-2 more years, and try and get one down the line. Zac has 5 years for us to see improvement. Some pieces are in place. May God save the Bengals.
Reply/Quote