Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it time for Pete?
I hadn't seen a thread around here about it yet, but with the lack of punishment for the Astros cheating scandal and the steroid users being allowed into the HoF is it finally time for Pete to get his chance?

His petition is on the Commish's desk and while I've allows been a Pete supporter myself, I honestly think with the Astros scandal being swept under the rug, the have to allow Pete back into the game.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28639320/pete-rose-uses-astros-saga-ask-reinstatement

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Asterisks for home run records and now asterisks for world series titles. Pete sort of has a point he didn't damage the game as much. To my knowledge Pete always bet on the Reds to win, but the main argument was that when he didn't bet...non bet....he was betting against his team.
Reply/Quote
It is absurd the league has steadfastly refused to acknowledge Pete's accomplishments while simultaneously pretending Bonds's and McGuire's accomplishments were somehow without dirty deeds along the way. Perhaps had Pete instead hit a gazillion home runs the entire thing may have been quietly swept under the rug. Gawd forbid Houston fans have to learn their team didn't really deserve their accolades and WS title, but Cincinnati fans have had to swallow Pete's banishment all these years.. Not to say the system is inherently unfair, but the system is inherently unfair. Who knows? Maybe all Pete's accomplishments will be upgraded to an asterisk denoting gambling instead of banishment. I might say I wouldn't bet on it, but in the spirit of Pete I'll bet on it. I guess that means that me betting on Pete means I should also be banished from my fandom. Whatever
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Put Pete in the HOF. I don't care if he gambled. He earned it on the field.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2020, 11:13 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Put Pete in the HOF. I don't care if he gambled. He earned it on the field.

One would think that since most states have now legalized gambling for profit and opened the door to all manner of corrupt practices along the way Pete Rose would be vindicated, but never fear.. The good old fashioned double standards will always take precedent over anything that may or may not make sense.

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
What bothers me the most is I really don't understand the double standard with Pete anymore. Selig was secretly gay for Giamatti, but Manford has no connection to him does he?

I always hated Selig for being Giamatti's puppet since Bart was a garbage human being who abused his power and seemed to always hate Pete.

Remember:
Giamatti suspended Rose for 30 days, which was the longest suspension ever levied for an on-field incident involving a manager. He also fined Rose "a substantial amount"; the actual amount was not disclosed. Giamatti said; "Such incidents are not business as usual and will not be allowed to become so."

Giamatti also summoned the Reds' on-air radio announcers, Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall, to his office in New York City and dressed them down for inciting the fan response with "inflammatory and completely irresponsible remarks."

Giamatti was trash, and so was Selig.

Reply/Quote
As much as I love the game of baseball in and of itself MLB as an organization seems hell bent on utterly destroying any semblance of a fan base than ever with their power money games with the minor leagues. I know theirs financial reasoning behind it, but it eliminates baseball from many, many small towns across the entire nation. Almost everyone of my age and maybe a few younger will remember when nearly every town had multiple little league and sandlot baseball teams. Now days if kids want to play a pickup game they pretty much are left with either an open field someone was nice enough to cut or the street, period. The actual baseball fields are mostly fenced in to prohibit anyone other than HS teams from even entering much less just tossing the ball around. If you don't live in or near a big city with an established team the options for going to a game of any kind are limited and becoming more limited with time and that doesn't even mention the ever shrinking opportunities to watch your favorite team on TV without paying out the nose.
Right now my option to go watch the local minor league team is to pay too much to go watch a Mets A ball team and parking is almost as much as a ticket and a couple of blocks away on top of it. The only baseball field kids ever play on is 6 miles away, completely fenced in with no trespassing signs posted all around it..
I can see a day when kids will no longer even care about a game every neighborhood used promote and encourage.. Sad to say the least..

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2020, 05:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: What bothers me the most is I really don't understand the double standard with Pete anymore. Selig was secretly gay for Giamatti, but Manford has no connection to him does he?

I always hated Selig for being Giamatti's puppet since Bart was a garbage human being who abused his power and seemed to always hate Pete.

Remember:
Giamatti suspended Rose for 30 days, which was the longest suspension ever levied for an on-field incident involving a manager. He also fined Rose "a substantial amount"; the actual amount was not disclosed. Giamatti said; "Such incidents are not business as usual and will not be allowed to become so."

Giamatti also summoned the Reds' on-air radio announcers, Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall, to his office in New York City and dressed them down for inciting the fan response with "inflammatory and completely irresponsible remarks."

Giamatti was trash, and so was Selig.

Yeah... Pete Rose is a pillar of the community.

I'm a Pete Rose/ Reds fan, but the guy has degenerate tendencies, and can't stay outta his own way as far as getting the ban lifted.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2020, 02:02 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah... Pete Rose is a pillar of the community.

I'm a Pete Rose/ Reds fan, but the guy has degenerate tendencies, and can't stay outta his own way as far as getting the ban lifted.

Yup, that's one of the underlying reasons as well. He's been his own worst enemy at many times over the years.

It's been said countless times but it still holds true. If they put all the guys out of the HOF who had issues there wouldn't be many left. Put the man in, he way more than earned it on the field which is all that matters.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 02:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup, that's one of the underlying reasons as well. He's been his own worst enemy at many times over the years.

It's been said countless times but it still holds true. If they put all the guys out of the HOF who had issues there wouldn't be many left. Put the man in, he way more than earned it on the field which is all that matters.

Oh I agree.

I don't remember what exactly happened, but wasn't there some serious momentum on lifting the ban when Selig was stepping down? Pete did something and poof... There it went. It was maybe 3-5 years ago.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2020, 03:31 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote:  is it finally time for Pete to get his chance?

YES !!!

[Image: PETE2020-BLACK-HPOST.jpg?1553239024]
Reply/Quote
I'm fine with letting Pete in the HOF and if they took a poll he'd win with overwhelming support from all around the nation as long as they don't try to tarnish his every word and action with propaganda against him. It's the propaganda that kills him, not his actions.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 02:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup, that's one of the underlying reasons as well. He's been his own worst enemy at many times over the years.

That's what bugs me, Pete is no angel, and I would never defend some of the things that have come out about his personal life, but every Hall of Fame is full of guys that were real garbage humans, they just were dominate at the sport they played. I really feel like Pete is being held to a different standard then any other baseball player. 

Bonds is a bigger scumbag then Rose, and he is on the ballot and was even a hitting coach for awhile. Rose deserves the chance to be on the ballot, if the voters keep him out for his actions, then so be it.

(02-13-2020, 04:39 PM)jason Wrote: Oh I agree.

I don't remember what exactly happened, but wasn't there some serious momentum on lifting the ban when Selig was stepping down? Pete did something and poof... There it went. It was maybe 3-5 years ago.

Think that was when he put the book out. Basically used his application as a selling point for the book and admitting he bet... or maybe it was the scandal later on that I never heard if it was true where some guy claimed he hooked Pete up with a teenage girl.

Reply/Quote