Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is our window closing ?
Jw what you guys think? We have aj and dalton in their prime for another 5 years

A young running back core, young receivers , overall a young D.

I heard on mo Eggers shoe that munoz said our window to win a championship was closing , I just don't see it . We are easily one of the best drafting teams in the league.

You don't make the playoffs 6 out if the last 7 years without a good front office. Do you guys think the window is closing or do you feel like we are playoff contenders for a while?
Reply/Quote
I haven't been on the boards since they migrated over to here, but even back then two (I think, maybe three?) years ago, there was a thread with this exact same title I believe.  It wasn't closing then, and it's not closing now!  Our window is wide open, and if we keep drafting quality guys, keeping them in the system and developing them (like we've been doing for almost a decade now), the window will be permanently open!  Rock On
Reply/Quote
I don't see it closing any time soon. And if we keep drafting well, I don't see it closing for some time. Injuries might play a role, but that's true for every team.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 01:12 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: I haven't been on the boards since they migrated over to here, but even back then two (I think, maybe three?) years ago, there was a thread with this exact same title I believe.  It wasn't closing then, and it's not closing now!  Our window is wide open, and if we keep drafting quality guys, keeping them in the system and developing them (like we've been doing for almost a decade now), the window will be permanently open!  Rock On

I had to chuckle at Tobin. No doubt he is a great asset to the org. On the air he had only high praise for every player  Sarcasm ThumbsUp  In public that is his job. In the office he probably has a more realistic perspective. Whatever
Reply/Quote
The team is smart with the cap and is fairly young still, so no I don't feel the window is closing. I feel like they draft well and definitely need that to continue since they are not players in free agency. That said, they need to take that next step. Dalton is going to turn 29 soon, he and Green are both going into their sixth seasons. Adam Jones only has a couple years left, Burfict's knee makes his longevity a concern. They really need to start moving forward.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 01:09 PM)The Burfict Answer Wrote: Jw what you guys think? We have aj and dalton in their prime for another 5 years

A young running back core, young receivers , overall a young D.

I heard on mo Eggers shoe that munoz said our window to win a championship was closing , I just don't see it . We are easily one of the best drafting teams in the league.

You don't make the playoffs 6 out if the last 7 years without a good front office. Do you guys think the window is closing or do you feel like we are playoff contenders for a while?

I guess the window i always closing if you look at it that way.

Personally i believe it is wide open and we just need to have the gumption to jump through it.

Geno, Dalton, Green, Burfict, Gio, Hill, Dunlap, Adam, Iloka all seem to be in their prime...
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 01:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I guess the window i always closing if you look at it that way.

Personally i believe it is wide open and we just need to have the gumption to jump through it.

Geno, Dalton, Green, Burfict, Gio, Hill, Dunlap, Adam, Iloka all seem to be in their prime...

Agree the window isn't closing yet for the Team  it might eb closing for a few of the players on the team like A Jones or Whitworth  but the team is built strong and deep in most areas.

Id say we have a cinder block holding the window open at the moment.
Reply/Quote
The Window is wide open. The team understands it has to be built on the line of scrimmage. Drafting CED and Fisher may prove to be the smartest thing done by this franchise.

The dline is one of the best in the league but needs to add depth and another pass rusher.

The team has a very solid core.

Dalton
Green
Dunlap
Atkins
Burffict
Eiffert
Iloka
Boling

This list is longer of core guys that can help win a championship.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 01:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Agree the window isn't closing yet for the Team  it might eb closing for a few of the players on the team like A Jones or Whitworth  but the team is built strong and deep in most areas.

Id say we have a cinder block holding the window open at the moment.

Yeah and those two guys are playing the best of their respective careers right now.

Sorry to Whit for not mentioning the brother.
Reply/Quote
We have 2 or 3 years left.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I don't think of it as if the window is closing but more so how many blown opportunities we had to go deep in the playoffs after a successful season and didn't go anywhere setting the kind of NFL records you don't want.

I sound like a broken record but nothing will change with Lewis as the helm, no matter the players or coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 02:35 PM)GodFather Wrote: I don't think of it as if the window is closing but more so how many blown opportunities we had to go deep in the playoffs after a successful season and didn't go anywhere setting the kind of NFL records you don't want.

I sound like a broken record but nothing will change with Lewis as the helm, no matter the players or coaching staff.

Unfortunately, I feel you are correct.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 02:35 PM)GodFather Wrote: I don't think of it as if the window is closing but more so how many blown opportunities we had to go deep in the playoffs after a successful season and didn't go anywhere setting the kind of NFL records you don't want.

(08-15-2016, 03:02 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Unfortunately, I feel you are correct.

Just quit it.

I like to live in positive denial.

Geno Atkins looks better than ever and we have Nick Vigil. Mellow
Reply/Quote

From a fans perspective I can see this line of thinking. We see the players talent, and the coaches history and we have no choice but to think Marvin is the Achilles heel.

But then I look at all of these great players and how much they love and respect him as their coach. I see how most of the guys want to be a part of this team and have confidence that they can win it all with Marvin at the helm. So then I wonder, if they have confidence in him then why can't I? 

Those players absolutely believe in marvins ability to take them where they want to go. If they didn't, wouldn't most of them be trying to get out of town to find someone that they truly believed in? I just think it's odd that his players believe in him so much, and they are the ones being coached by him day in and day out. So what are we as fans missing? And if he does take them there will we admit we were wrong or continue to point to his past?

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:29 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: From a fans perspective I can see this line of thinking. We see the players talent, and the coaches history and we have no choice but to think Marvin is the Achilles heel.

But then I look at all of these great players and how much they love and respect him as their coach. I see how most of the guys want to be a part of this team and have confidence that they can win it all with Marvin at the helm. So then I wonder, if they have confidence in him then why can't I? 

Those players absolutely believe in marvins ability to take them where they want to go. If they didn't, wouldn't most of them be trying to get out of town to find someone that they truly believed in? I just think it's odd that his players believe in him so much, and they are the ones being coached by him day in and day out. So what are we as fans missing? And if he does take them there will we admit we were wrong or continue to point to his past?

Thats what i am talkin about, reps brother.
Reply/Quote
If Andy produces and stays healthy this team providing they continue to draft well could be competitive another 10 or so years easily.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:29 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: From a fans perspective I can see this line of thinking. We see the players talent, and the coaches history and we have no choice but to think Marvin is the Achilles heel.

Pretty sure point to his past

For the record, I echo your sentiments completely    Very nice post!
Reply/Quote
The window isn't closing on us right now because we are so good at drafting. Of we started to have bad draft classes then the window will start closing on us. I think we did a hell of a good job in the draft this year. I think it's safe to assume that we will continue to have good drafts just because of the track record we have had.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A team's window can close in a hurry. Any team. And you can't always predict it, it just kind of happens. That's just how the league is nowadays. How many times have you seen a recently successful team go into the season a contender, only to fall flat and be somewhat blown up soon after?

Houston went from a rising team, many times a lot of people's dark horse, to being rebuilt in a couple of seasons. Atlanta went form being a perennial NFC favorite to a joke. Another great example is San Fran. Young coach, young QB, younger receivers, solid defense. Look at where they're at right now. Look at Philly from 2010 to 2011.

Everything can change seemingly overnight. Whitworth finally shows his age and isn't easily replaced. Dalton plays more like 2011-2014 than 2016. Green or Bernard suffers an injury. Some bad breaks, bad call, bad bounces lead to disappointing season. Marvin is on the hot seat or is fired. This team goes from contender to a question mark. Follow it up with anything less than great and that window is closed.

The point is, unless you're starting a rookie QB and/or you have a first year coach, the time to win in this league si always the present. Right now. Win right now. Every single team has the same window. All it takes is a few things to happen for that window to come crashing down.

So yeah, our window is closing as much pretty much everyone else. Guys go from being in the prime to aging almost overnight. Your peers are constantly evolving and adapting. We need to hurry up and take advantage of our opportunities before it's too late.

I mean, you can point to the playoffs 6 out of 7 years all you want. That's great. But what a shame it would be if they couldn't capitalize on one of the seasons to accomplish more. Then you're left wondering, "Could they have done more, could they have done something differently?"

Win now, please.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:54 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The window isn't closing on us right now because we are so good at drafting. Of we started to have bad draft classes then the window will start closing on us. I think we did a hell of a good job in the draft this year. I think it's safe to assume that we will continue to have good drafts just because of the track record we have had.

In Duke Tobin we trust.
Reply/Quote