Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Is politically motivated violence acceptable?
(10-02-2020, 01:19 PM)hollodero Wrote: I agree with that.
The only slight different take I have is that I feel democrat leaders will probably not endorse violence. When it comes to Trump though, I am not so certain.

If he loses it's possible, which is a disturbing thing to have to admit.  But even then I don't see it happening unless he loses by a small margin days after election night as mail in ballots are counted.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 12:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Do we throw ideological opponents in prison and torture them simply because they are ideological opponents?

Trump expressed a certain willingness to do that. At least when it comes to imprisonment. But yeah, actually I do not intend to take anything substantial away from your overall point.

(10-02-2020, 12:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Using the same standards as listed above Nazi Germany's government is morally evil, there's no debating this (I know you weren't debating it).  As Hitler was the lynchpin for the state's existence as is killing him would absolutely not have been a morally evil act.  At least not in the classic way of viewing morality.

Of course I agree, but this maybe can be seen as the "gummy" part still (I knew the noun, just not the adjective), because what is morally evil always lies in the eye of the beholder. To choose a gross example, the ancient Greeks pretty much systematically raped underage boys. It was not considered morally evil to do so. We (thankfully) do so, but that's us.

(10-02-2020, 01:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If he loses it's possible, which is a disturbing thing to have to admit.  But even then I don't see it happening unless he loses by a small margin days after election night as mail in ballots are counted.

Hopefully... but I feel there is a certain core of supporters that would not care so much about small or big margins. Even big margins can be explained with big manipulations, as in fraud by the millions, what Trump actively propagates.
Admittedly, I might be hyped in that regard by looking at Breitbart comments every once in a while. They do organize quite some gatherings already in case the anti-american evil coalition of insane people and the media manipulate the presidency away from dear leader.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 01:24 PM)hollodero Wrote: Of course I agree, but this maybe can be seen as the "gummy" part still (I knew the noun, just not the adjective),

I doubt anyone else here knows that gummy is German for rubber.  I was being a smart ass.  Smirk

Quote:because what is morally evil always lies in the eye of the beholder. To choose a gross example, the ancient Greeks pretty much systematically raped underage boys. It was not considered morally evil to do so. We (thankfully) do so, but that's us.

To be sure.  But there are certain universal moralities that we can hang our hat on, and sexual behavior is never going to be one of them.  Of course, there will always be outlier societies, but generally what is good and what is evil is largely agreed upon.  It's the groups that these otherwise evil actions are acceptable to use against that tends to be more malleable.
Reply/Quote