Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Oceans Day
Since the forum won't be open, tomorrow, I wanted to post about this. Saturday, June 8, is World Oceans Day. I know that it starts summer vacation for our local school systems, as well, and so probably lines up for some of you as well. Most of us don't live near the ocean, but we all have nearby waterways that end up there. I know in my neck of the woods, everything ends up in the Chesapeake Bay.

You may not head out to engage in a service project, tomorrow, or some other event focused on improving our ocean health around the world. But in the spirit of this day and that the beach season has kicked off, I just wanted to advocate for focusing on making your summer vacation low impact. The basics of "don't leave shit behind" seems simple enough, but you'd be surprised.

Make sure to protect yourself from the sun, but do so in a way that takes into account the effects those chemicals have on our oceans and waterways.

All year long, wherever you are, try to utilize reusable containers rather than single-use plastics. The vast majority of plastic used in this country is not recycled, and that percentage is on the rise thanks to issues with China. Also, recycling plastic (and other materials) is still an energy consuming process that is more wasteful than simply buying a container that can be used multiple times.

So just some things I wanted to say in light of World Oceans Day, tomorrow. I hope everyone has a fun summer enjoying the outdoors wherever you are. Just please do what you can to ensure generations after us will be able to enjoy it as well.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
[Image: SNmaYnVAKwcBWYx-1600x900-noPad.jpg?1512225815]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]