Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the IRA a Terrorist Organization?
Just wondering what you all thought about the Irish Republican Army.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
One person's freedom fighter is another person's terrorist.

Yes, the IRA, PIRA, and the successors to the organizations were/are terrorist organizations.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I don't know much about the IRA, but since the IRA targeted civilians, they have to be a Terrorist Organization.

Now, if the IRA would have targeted military and government only, then would they still be called a Terrorist Organization?
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(08-24-2015, 05:51 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I don't know much about the IRA, but since the IRA targeted civilians, they have to be a Terrorist Organization.

Now, if the IRA would have targeted military and government only, then would they still be called a Terrorist Organization?

Yes. I do not agree with the definitions that state the targets have to be non-combatant, or, quite frankly, that government action is not terrorism. The very simple and broad definition from the OED is my view. The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(08-24-2015, 05:11 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Just wondering what you all thought about the Irish Republican Army.

Uh, yeah.

There's literally no room for debate on this issue.
Dude they are white Catholics. That makes them freedom fighters.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-24-2015, 05:20 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: One person's freedom fighter is another person's terrorist.

I was about to post in here "One man's nationalist is another man's terrorist".

Perspective. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

We have a history of supporting terrorist organizations. We just refer to them as rebels or freedom fighters when they oppose our enemies.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-24-2015, 05:11 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Just wondering what you all thought about the Irish Republican Army.

(08-24-2015, 05:20 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: One person's freedom fighter is another person's terrorist.

Yes, the IRA, PIRA, and the successors to the organizations were/are terrorist organizations.

(08-24-2015, 05:51 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I don't know much about the IRA, but since the IRA targeted civilians, they have to be a Terrorist Organization.

(08-25-2015, 12:31 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Uh, yeah.

(08-25-2015, 10:58 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I was about to post in here "One man's nationalist is another man's terrorist".
Perspective. 

We've got to fight them there so we don't have to fight them here!!!!

(08-25-2015, 10:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Dude they are white Catholics.  That makes them freedom fighters.

Doh!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-25-2015, 11:09 AM)GMDino Wrote: We've got to fight them there so we don't have to fight them here!!!!

Doh!

If you're the UK then yes, and they did.  The IRA confined their "activities" to Ireland and the UK.  As it was confined only those nations dealt with them.  I lived in Europe in the mid 80's, trust me when I say no one viewed the IRA as anything but terrorists.  
(08-25-2015, 10:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Dude they are white Catholics.  That makes them freedom fighters.

Freedom fighters only fight freedom in South America.

To the OP, yes. Terrorists. I don't see where that's debatable.
(08-25-2015, 11:12 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If you're the UK then yes, and they did.  The IRA confined their "activities" to Ireland and the UK.  As it was confined only those nations dealt with them.  I lived in Europe in the mid 80's, trust me when I say no one viewed the IRA as anything but terrorists.  

I'm not arguing that...just wondering why we didn't invade Spain to fight them.  ThumbsUp
(08-25-2015, 12:31 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Uh, yeah.

This.

When I was growing up in the 70's there were more white terrorists than brown.
Let's make this more interesting.

Was Likud under Ariel Sharon a terrorists organization?
(08-25-2015, 12:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Let's make this more interesting.

Was Likud under Ariel Sharon a terrorists organization?

Likud was(is) a political party that actually led a country. I think that is a different animal as they are at another level. When an organization takes control of a whole country, I think that goes beyond a terrorist organization. I would think a better comparison would be regimes like those in Syria, Iran, North Korea or those from the past like Peru, Spain, etc. But then again, if you compare them to those type of regimes, they generally appear somewhat favorable because they don't mistreat their own citizens as much. A better comparison might be the U.S. or other Western nations where we have a history of abusing people from other countries, but treat our own well. In that sense, Israel is a chip off the old block!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
WAS the IRA a terrorist organization?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Of course they were.

But the question the OP poses is "IS the IRA a terrorist organization?" I suppose it would depend upon which IRA you were talking about as they have broken into so many smaller factions over the years (OIRA,PIRA,CIRA, RIRA, etc.). I think most IRA members have accepted the Good Friday Agreement. The PIRA stood down militarily in 2005 and the British withdrew troops from Northern Ireland in 2007. A small group of radicals continue to pledge violence. But overall, what they were is not what they are now. And I believe it is important to recognize that these groups can (and often should) change.

Probably the best comparison to the IRA might be the PLO. No one doubts that they were a terrorist organization. But they tried to turn from violence. Not everyone in the group went along with that. That aspect is sort of similar to the IRA.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]

Yes, although they have been pretty much neutralized.

Fun fact: there was a network of Indian resorvations in this country and along with the Mexican government. Hiding IRA.

Savages !
Ninja
(08-27-2015, 12:32 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Savages !
Ninja

Clearly no rule of law there at all.  Ninja
(08-27-2015, 10:53 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes, although they have been pretty much neutralized.

Fun fact:  there was a network of Indian resorvations in this country and along with the Mexican government.  Hiding IRA.

I know you and I share a fondness for weird pockets in history, but this is the first I've ever heard of this.  Do you have link I can check out?