Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible State Rep Run...
So.. I'm thinking I may run for State House Representative, in my district. Anyone here ever run for such a position ? The incumbent will likely win (Republican), but he'll term out after this cycle. I figure I'll have a little name recognition for the next one. I'll have to run as an independent this cycle, as Libertarians haven't ballot access yet.

Any experiences in office with you lot ?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
(03-12-2018, 11:50 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: So.. I'm thinking I may run for State House Representative, in my district. Anyone here ever run for such a position ? The incumbent will likely win (Republican), but he'll term out after this cycle. I figure I'll have a little name recognition for the next one. I'll have to run as an independent this cycle, as Libertarians haven't ballot access yet.

Good luck and godspeed.  I have too many skeletons to run for anything!  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Nothing here except I could never do it. It seems like an exhausting ordeal to run for anything.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-12-2018, 11:58 AM)GMDino Wrote: Good luck and godspeed.  I have too many skeletons to run for anything!  Smirk
Thanks !
I had a DUI when I was young, but nothing else.
I thought my work schedule would conflict, but my employer is willing to help me out.
I was surprised it only costs $85 to register.

(03-12-2018, 12:00 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Nothing here except I could never do it. It seems like an exhausting ordeal to run for anything.
It's easy, when assembling a proper campaign team. If I do that correctly, I'll merely have to show up to media events and practice runs with my team. I've studied under some great people, regarding campaigning.
I think I'll be happy with just having the experience itself.
:)

(03-12-2018, 12:22 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: It's easy, when assembling a proper campaign team. If I do that correctly, I'll merely have to show up to media events and practice runs with my team. I've studied under some great people, regarding campaigning.
I think I'll be happy with just having the experience itself.
:)

I'm running a Board of Ed campaign right now. Get good with those already experienced with this. Find people who are willing to give you access to their canvassing lists. Find allies and canvas together, or share material to canvas with. The last month is when you make your big push to distance yourself from opponents. Attend local community meetings and ask to speak.

Voter turnout will be low, 100-1,000 votes can sometimes be all you need over the other guy, so get knocking on doors. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Great news.

Good luck Roto.
So I helped two people make runs last year (we are an off-year state), when the first one didn't win the firehouse primary because of the Bernie contingent, I helped the Bernie bro make his run. He lost (the one I helped run against him, she would've won, but that's a long story) but I learned a good bit.

1. Name recognition and local issues are more important than anything going on at the state level. This was at least my experience here. So many issues talked about in the state races didn't mean shit to our local folks.

2. There is a right time for certain types of candidates. The general race consisted of two local boys, born and bred, running against each other. The incumbent didn't talk issues much, the challenger was a Bernie bro organizer. What mattered more between those two was the name. We have a female wave in Virginia last year, though, and had the woman I was helping at first been in the general she could've taken the race. Moral of the story: pay attention to the context in which you are running. You won't be on a party ticket, so you don't have to worry about this part, but that matters at times.

3. Connections to big local institutions is huge. I don't really think this needs further explaining.

4. Expect to take the whole month of October up until election day off from work. Not even joking, it's that much effort.

5. Get the most organized person you know to help you out.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-12-2018, 11:50 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: So.. I'm thinking I may run for State House Representative, in my district. Anyone here ever run for such a position ? The incumbent will likely win (Republican), but he'll term out after this cycle. I figure I'll have a little name recognition for the next one. I'll have to run as an independent this cycle, as Libertarians haven't ballot access yet.

I'll vote for you. ThumbsUp
(03-12-2018, 12:27 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm running a Board of Ed campaign right now. Get good with those already experienced with this. Find people who are willing to give you access to their canvassing lists. Find allies and canvas together, or share material to canvas with. The last month is when you make your big push to distance yourself from opponents. Attend local community meetings and ask to speak.

Voter turnout will be low, 100-1,000 votes can sometimes be all you need over the other guy, so get knocking on doors. 

I have a friend that is a software developer. He has a program I can use that will plot out addresses by whatever board of elections data I select. It will also make address labels for selected data, so I might make quick mailers. I'm blessed to have built a great network.
(03-12-2018, 12:51 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Great news.    

Good luck Roto.

Thank you, Brutha !

(03-12-2018, 02:47 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So I helped two people make runs last year (we are an off-year state), when the first one didn't win the firehouse primary because of the Bernie contingent, I helped the Bernie bro make his run. He lost (the one I helped run against him, she would've won, but that's a long story) but I learned a good bit.

1. Name recognition and local issues are more important than anything going on at the state level. This was at least my experience here. So many issues talked about in the state races didn't mean shit to our local folks.

2. There is a right time for certain types of candidates. The general race consisted of two local boys, born and bred, running against each other. The incumbent didn't talk issues much, the challenger was a Bernie bro organizer. What mattered more between those two was the name. We have a female wave in Virginia last year, though, and had the woman I was helping at first been in the general she could've taken the race. Moral of the story: pay attention to the context in which you are running. You won't be on a party ticket, so you don't have to worry about this part, but that matters at times.

3. Connections to big local institutions is huge. I don't really think this needs further explaining.

4. Expect to take the whole month of October up until election day off from work. Not even joking, it's that much effort.

5. Get the most organized person you know to help you out.

Great info !
Agreed, on local issues.
I have connections with a lot of local businesses owners and local government. I also have an ace in the hole in one of the other counties in my district. I'm very good friends with a young man who is making a congressional run there. He'll get my name out there and help me in the surrounding farming community. I also made friends with the Democratic candidate. We have a lot in common and may work together on some things, promoting reaching across the aisle and unity. It's been suggested I do recon by volunteering on the Republican's campaign for a month, before declaring. I'm not sure about that. I'll likely just ask him to lunch to gleen info, before declaration. I have 6 weeks vacation, so I should be good. 

I need opinions on this....
I can get some decent endorsements from people in other state's governments. Do you feel that would help ?  Like - Laura Ebke, Caleb Dyer, Brandon Phinney, Larry Sharpe, etc...
I've also been helping the campaign of a friend of mine running for the Chairman of the Libertarian National Committee.
(03-12-2018, 05:10 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: I'll vote for you. ThumbsUp

Thank you, so much !
Damn near caused me to shed a manly tear.
(03-12-2018, 08:23 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Great info !
Agreed, on local issues.
I have connections with a lot of local businesses owners and local government. I also have an ace in the hole in one of the other counties in my district. I'm very good friends with a young man who is making a congressional run there. He'll get my name out there and help me in the surrounding farming community. I also made friends with the Democratic candidate. We have a lot in common and may work together on some things, promoting reaching across the aisle and unity. It's been suggested I do recon by volunteering on the Republican's campaign for a month, before declaring. I'm not sure about that. I'll likely just ask him to lunch to gleen info, before declaration. I have 6 weeks vacation, so I should be good. 

I need opinions on this....
I can get some decent endorsements from people in other state's governments. Do you feel that would help ?  Like - Laura Ebke, Caleb Dyer, Brandon Phinney, Larry Sharpe, etc...
I've also been helping the campaign of a friend of mine running for the Chairman of the Libertarian National Committee.

Don't do the thing with the GOP candidate. That will create animosity within their group and will fuel their efforts against you. It is a surefire way to turn the race more personal. That is the first thing I wanted to get out.

For the big local institutions, we are a university town. Our state house district contains 2 whole universities, a for-profit school, and a satellite campus for the community college. Within the city, ties to the universities is one of the best things for a candidate because of how many voters are employed by, go to school at, or graduated from the institutions. You may not be a college town like this one, but you probably have some similar institution that is a bedrock for the community. Ties like that are priceless in a campaign (so long as the institution isn't corrupt in some way).

As for endorsements, that all depends. You will know how they will play better than I will among the people you are going for. I guess my big question for you is: do you have a statement of purpose for your campaign? Why are you running? Who are the people you are going to court the most? When you look at these things you have to think about who you will be trying to win over the most and then determine how you think those endorsements will play out with them.

To be clear, though, this is me talking politics when I am much more on the policy side. My role in these things is usually helping people craft position statements/white papers and then handing them off to the political folks. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR