Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Is there a plan, after all ?
I am optimistic that us moving to Finley means we are embracing a rebuild. I have been saying all season, the hardest part of a rebuild is admitting you are rebuilding and that is what they essentially did yesterday with their move to start Finley.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: I am optimistic that us moving to Finley means we are embracing a rebuild. I have been saying all season, the hardest part of a rebuild is admitting you are rebuilding and that is what they essentially did yesterday with their move to start Finley.

Wouldn't a team that is rebuilding...actually trade guys for draft picks?

Even a guy like Eifert that was drawing interest.

I think moving to Finley could be saying...Dalton was the problem and a new QB will fix things.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 11:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed.

I think the only solace in the Taylor hiring could be that the management here is just terribly inept. But, IF Taylor is calling the shots...we're doomed.

Also, part of that is that they bought the McVay hype and hired a HC that just isn't qualified. I don't know if any other NFL Teams would have even hired Taylor as their offensive coordinator...let alone HC.

McVay was (far) more qualified than Taylor. He was a very successful OC for multiple years. Taylor's only success really has been as QB coach with Jared Goff. However, Jared Goff was a 1st overall pick, so was it really an accomplishment for him to become good?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:57 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: there is no plan  front office is like headless chickens at this point.... yes at 0-8 you see what the rookie has... But benching Dalton helps no one.... Especially not us.   He should have been traded.   Or at the very least the announcement should not have been made on his birthday.

I am about done with this new dey era...

Didn't know it was Dalton's birthday, rough.

But the bye came where it came and we are 0-8 as you said and we needed to see what we have in Finley.

This is probably the most pessimistic post I have heard from you Xeno, I must say.

We will see if Taylor can grow into this coaching thing and learn how to build a team like Marv did to his specs.

They say he has the power to do so, but I won't believe him till I at least see some hints.

Taylor has inherited Marv's team and he didn't know what to do with it, this is what I see.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: McVay was (far) more qualified than Taylor. He was a very successful OC for multiple years. Taylor's only success really has been as QB coach with Jared Goff. However, Jared Goff was a 1st overall pick, so was it really an accomplishment for him to become good?

Well...Goff became good when Taylor was the Assistant WR Coach with the Rams. Then Taylor was the QB Coach there in Goff's 3rd year.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: I am optimistic that us moving to Finley means we are embracing a rebuild. I have been saying all season, the hardest part of a rebuild is admitting you are rebuilding and that is what they essentially did yesterday with their move to start Finley.

Agreed.
Reply/Quote

I hope you're right, but I think trading Green and/or Atkins and/or others would've definitely signaled that they're rebuilding. I think the benching just shows they recognize this season is over.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:58 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I hope you're right, but I think trading Green and/or Atkins and/or others would've definitely signaled that they're rebuilding. I think the benching just shows they recognize this season is over.

Trading Atkins is actually somewhat cap prohibitive, had we moved him at the deadline we would have eaten 14 million in dead cap. That number drops to 7.8 Million after the season which is again why I keep saying there is nothing stopping us from moving some assets after the season. To me it makes more sense once we have evaluated the draft to know where the value is and what picks could yield a positive return.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Didn't know it was Dalton's birthday, rough.

But the bye came where it came and we are 0-8 as you said and we needed to see what we have in Finley.

This is probably the most pessimistic post I have heard from you Xeno, I must say.

We will see if Taylor can grow into this coaching thing and learn how to build a team like Marv did to his specs.

They say he has the power to do so, but I won't believe him till I at least see some hints.

Taylor has inherited Marv's team and he didn't know what to do with it, this is what I see.

Power maybe ability doubtful.

What is see is just that Taylor just plain doesn't know what to do about anything.     Basically all rookie Buddy coaching staff... (all his friends)

But simply waiting till 2-3 hours before the trade deadline when you could have announced the benching Monday  was just bad.

Im am starting to truly Believe.  ZT is hear to help us do  what Fisher helped the rams do..... 
Reply/Quote
none, our goal is to stockpile as many comp picks as we can than make terrible selections while using them
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
There is no plan and I believe we are witnessing the Brown Family operating at full force.  It is my personal belief that MB is still calling all the major shots with the kids following behind like good soldiers.

Without Marvin in the way, it's a return to doing business they way they used to.  During ZT's press conference when he was repeatedly asked about the trade deadline and his ideas/opinions on the matter, he stonewalled them each time with "No comment".  It's almost as if he was briefed thoroughly beforehand on what to say.

I think MB really valued Marvin's input and now that he's gone, I think we're seeing the fallout from that.  I think Marvin was able to convince MB of the right moves to make.  Don't get me wrong, Marvin needed to go, but I seriously doubt we'd be anywhere close to 0-8 if he was still here. 
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 03:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Power maybe ability doubtful.

What is see is just that Taylor just plain doesn't know what to do about anything.     Basically all rookie Buddy coaching staff... (all his friends)

But simply waiting till 2-3 hours before the trade deadline when you could have announced the benching Monday  was just bad.

Im am starting to truly Believe.  ZT is hear to help us do  what Fisher helped the rams do..... 

Sad state of affairs. Was hoping Marv was the Fisher to our new McVay.

Doesn't look that way at all, you are probably right. Sad
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 03:46 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: There is no plan and I believe we are witnessing the Brown Family operating at full force.  It is my personal belief that MB is still calling all the major shots with the kids following behind like good soldiers.

Without Marvin in the way, it's a return to doing business they way they used to.  During ZT's press conference when he was repeatedly asked about the trade deadline and his ideas/opinions on the matter, he stonewalled them each time with "No comment".  It's almost as if he was briefed thoroughly beforehand on what to say.

I think MB really valued Marvin's input and now that he's gone, I think we're seeing the fallout from that.  I think Marvin was able to convince MB of the right moves to make.  Don't get me wrong, Marvin needed to go, but I seriously doubt we'd be anywhere close to 0-8 if he was still here. 

Mediocre Marv would of at least had us mediocre lol
Reply/Quote

You shouldn't be. This team can't build or re-build, they have shown no ability to do it. Moving deck chairs on the Titanic is Mikey's MO. They may even admit they will re-build, but they can't draft worth a crap these days so it will be a futile exercise.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...Goff became good when Taylor was the Assistant WR Coach with the Rams. Then Taylor was the QB Coach there in Goff's 3rd year.

The year before Taylor became Goff's QB coach, Goff had 3804 yards, 28 TD, 7 INT.
Last year with Taylor as QB coach, Goff had 4688 yards, 32 TD, 12 INT.

Goff did become better last year while Taylor was QB coach.
Now that Taylor is gone, Goff is having his worst season aside from his rookie year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This reminds me of when their "plan" was to try to hire a half done other DCs before finally getting the guy they wanted all along.

[Image: f2e.jpg_large]
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 09:53 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The year before Taylor became Goff's QB coach, Goff had 3804 yards, 28 TD, 7 INT.
Last year with Taylor as QB coach, Goff had 4688 yards, 32 TD, 12 INT.

Goff did become better last year while Taylor was QB coach.
Now that Taylor is gone, Goff is having his worst season aside from his rookie year.

Goff's QB Rating those 2 years was basically very similar.

I doubt that's due to Taylor leaving. Teams are starting to figure out the Rams offense. Lucky for us! And the Rams line is declining.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 09:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Goff's QB Rating those 2 years was basically very similar.

I doubt that's due to Taylor leaving. Teams are starting to figure out the Rams offense. Lucky for us! And the Rams line is declining.

I think the Rams are declining because:
- The OL is worse (as you said)
- They depend(ed) heavily on Todd Gurley and he's not (able to be) used as often now

I am really interested to see which QB Taylor (or whoever is the HC next year) goes to get now that it's pretty clear Dalton is not the future.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This is what I believe their plan is. If Finley lights it up Dalton will be traded in the off season. If he falls flat on his face they will pick a QB in the first and keep Dalton to start the year and be a mentor to the new QB.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:19 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/30/bengals-trade-deadline-fans-complicated/

"But maybe that’s what Taylor has done here — implemented a plan. By all outward-facing measures, the front office has bent over backward to grant his every request, even taking the hit with the Jim Turner hire. Now Dalton is a clipboard holder on the sidelines.

So maybe, just maybe, a coherent vision has now been established. Frustration at the lack of moves because it matches the tired, established pattern is fair — but making a change at head coach, then shoving aside Dalton is a dramatic swerve from the usual".

Have they really ?

Was giving Dalton a shot then moving on to Finley been the plan all along ? Keeping Dolegala when we could obviously use another Olineman or LBer sorta hints at that ?

But why did they not trade Dalton ? Were they trying and just didn't get any offers they deemed good enough ?

Perhaps there is more going on here than it seems on the surface ?

Tiger Its possible. Maybe it was something as simple as Sean McVay whispering in ZT's ear after the game at midfield " Zac, dude, you need a new QB"... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote