Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this child abuse?
In one Canadian city, a law was passed that said that if parents tried to force their child not to be gay, that child could be taken away from the parents because that would be child abuse. I'm just wondering if the roles were reversed, could the child be taken away from gay parents if they were trying to make their child gay?

http://www.children.gov.on.ca/htdocs/English/documents/about/CFSA2015/CFSAReviewReport.pdf

Couple things come to mind.

1- Several public meetings were held where Ontarians ... er... Onatarions... uh.... Ontagenerians... residents of Ontario could have input on what areas of the existing child services act needed updating. Presumably this was something someone felt needed addressed for whatever reason. That's part of a democracy.

2- It would be pretty awesome if that happened more here outside of at the local level. Federal lawmakers have town halls, sometimes, but it rarely ever effects how they vote or draft legislation.

3- I'm not personally in favor of this kind of legislation. It gets in the way of giving courts and social workers some room to use common sense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Straight people can do anything they want to their kids as long as there is exactly one parental penis and one parental vagina involved.
(07-03-2017, 07:09 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: In one Canadian city, a law was passed that said that if parents tried to force their child not to be gay, that child could be taken away from the parents because that would be child abuse. I'm just wondering if the roles were reversed, could the child be taken away from gay parents if they were trying to make their child gay?

Logically, the answer to your question would be yes.

The post and question seems to suggest some desire among the voters of Canada to raise a gay army for the purpose of...

But that isn't the purpose of the legislation at all. The purpose of the legislation is to prevent child abuse. Forcing a child to reject his or her sexual identity, be it bisexual, heterosexual, or even the dreaded homosexual, would be abusive. It's really not that complicated.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Trying to change someone's sexual preference by force has shown to do quite a bit of mental damage to the person. So in that respect, I would frame those attempts as mental abuse. A much more severe form of child abuse is making your kid be a steeler fan.
Forcing a child to believe a 500 yr old incestuous old drunk saved the world by building a ship and putting 2 of every land animal on is shown to cripple mental capacity fir life. That should also be considered child abuse.
(07-04-2017, 10:41 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Forcing a child to believe a 500 yr old incestuous old drunk saved the world by building a ship and putting 2 of every land animal on is shown to cripple mental capacity fir life. That should also be considered child abuse.

So should forcing a child not to believe it.

(07-04-2017, 10:41 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Forcing a child to believe a 500 yr old incestuous old drunk saved the world by building a ship and putting 2 of every land animal on is shown to cripple mental capacity fir life.  That should also be considered child abuse.

(07-04-2017, 12:01 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: So should forcing a child not to believe it.

Both of our children went to Catholic school.  Our daughter for six years and our son for two.  Both were raised Catholic and went to church with us.  Both received their confirmation in the church.

And both were told. by me, that if they had questions to ask.  If they had doubts to investigate.

As it stand now our daughter is an avowed atheist and our son believes in a higher power but not the Catholic/Earth version of "God".

As I get older I feel more and more that we should not teach religion to children until they are old enough to ask question and not accept blindly.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I guess it all depends on which school of thought that one prescribes to. One side may treat children as "little adults", and their thoughts, choices and actions should not be controlled or interfered with. Another may feel like children's undeveloped minds are not yet ready to be making life choices.

Personally, I feel like moderated parenting is the key. Any extreme adherence to either "school of thought" will likely have a negative impact on a child's development into a healthy adult.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-04-2017, 12:01 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: So should forcing a child not to believe it.

Yes. Teaching logic and critical thinking is dangerous.
(07-04-2017, 12:29 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Yes.  Teaching logic and critical thinking is dangerous.

thinking is the devils handiwork
People suck
(07-04-2017, 12:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: Both of our children went to Catholic school.  Our daughter for six years and our son for two.  Both were raised Catholic and went to church with us.  Both received their confirmation in the church.

And both were told. by me, that if they had questions to ask.  If they had doubts to investigate.

As it stand now our daughter is an avowed atheist and our son believes in a higher power but not the Catholic/Earth version of "God".

As I get older I feel more and more that we should not teach religion to children until they are old enough to ask question and not accept blindly.

[Image: 200_s.gif]
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-04-2017, 12:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: Both of our children went to Catholic school.  Our daughter for six years and our son for two.  Both were raised Catholic and went to church with us.  Both received their confirmation in the church.

Religious belief is at the core of civilized western society. It's guides us all morally. Which is crucial for children. If someone gets older and walks away then so be it .... but blowing off the most crucial years of learning is just playing with disaster.
(07-05-2017, 04:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Religious belief is at the core of civilized western society.  It's guides us all morally.  Which is crucial for children.    If someone gets older and walks away then so be it .... but blowing off the most crucial years of learning is just playing with disaster.

No offense but that horsehockey.

Smirk
(07-04-2017, 12:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: As I get older I feel more and more that we should not teach religion to children until they are old enough to ask question and not accept blindly.

The problem I see with that is that if someone really believes they know God exists, then they would have no reason to not teach it to children. It would be impractical to ones faith to not teach that which they "know". I understand it's all belief/faith and not real to everyone, but it would be hard to dictate what should be taught at what age when people believe that what they are teaching is the truth.
(07-05-2017, 05:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: No offense but that horsehockey.

Smirk

Judeo Christian values and morality have shaped western society in its laws and general tolerance of one another.
(07-05-2017, 06:45 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Judeo Christian values and morality have shaped western society in its laws and general tolerance of one another.

Tolerance as long as everyone believes in the same Judaeo Christian beliefs.

If can't be a good person without fear of the afterlife thanks to religion then you aren't a good person.
(07-05-2017, 05:36 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: The problem I see with that is that if someone really believes they know God exists, then they would have no reason to not teach it to children. It would be impractical to ones faith to not teach that which they "know". I understand it's all belief/faith and not real to everyone, but it would be hard to dictate what should be taught at what age when people believe that what they are teaching is the truth.

But imagine how much better society would be if we just taught kids to be nice to everyone, judge them on their actions, and not dislike people because they don't believe int he same way.

Or that being good to one another was a human thing...not backed or influenced by a god with the punishment/reward on the other side.

Then when they are old enough you explain god and religion and see how that goes.
(07-05-2017, 06:45 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Judeo Christian values and morality have shaped western society in its laws and general tolerance of one another.

I dunno. Christianity calls for a lot of tolerance and we're a pretty intolerant society.
[Image: NT21Pz3h.jpg]