Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this like not baking a Wedding Cake?
....because your values are against same-sex marriage

https://www.yahoo.com/style/sophie-theallet-vows-not-dress-225503256.html

Quote:“As one who celebrates and strives for diversity, individual freedom and respect for all lifestyles, I will not participate in dressing or associating in any way with the next First Lady. The rhetoric of racism, sexism, and xenophobia unleashed by her husband’s presidential campaign are incompatible with the shared values we live by.” she wrote. “I encourage my fellow designers to do the same....”

...as a family owned company, our bottom line is not just about money. We value our artistic freedom and always humbly seek to contribute to a more humane, conscious and ethical way to create in this world.”

Is it fair the Ms Trump is denied service because of her values and beliefs?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-18-2016, 04:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ....because your values are against same-sex marriage

https://www.yahoo.com/style/sophie-theallet-vows-not-dress-225503256.html

Is it fair the Ms Trump is denied service because of her values and beliefs?

Was she even asked to do it?

Can't Mrs. Trump just get her dresses elsewhere?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-18-2016, 04:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: Was she even asked to do it?

Can't Mrs. Trump just get her dresses elsewhere?

Of course she can get a dress elsewhere and I have no idea if she has been asked.

Is it right to deny her service because her beliefs are different and against the family business' values?

Let the sarcasm and hyperbole fly!

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLEEEEEEEEEEEE!
There is no anti-discrimination protection for someone's political positions. Even for someone being gay, it is a state-by-state case at the moment.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-18-2016, 04:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course she can get a dress elsewhere and I have no idea if she has been asked.

Is it right to deny her service because her beliefs are different and against the family business' values?

It's not denial of service if the service was never requested.

Are those values infringing on anyone?
I walked into to Applebees lined up the waitresses to grade on looks, grabbed the waitress I wanted by the ***** and gave her a kiss, and told "the help" to not show their face while I was there or I would call ICE. And they totally discriminated against me and told me to leave. And I gladly left, they had some black guy counting the money at the register.

I'm going to sue bigly because they clearly discriminated against me because of my values and beliefs.
(11-18-2016, 05:14 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I walked into to Applebees lined up the waitresses to grade on looks, grabbed the waitress I wanted by the ***** and gave her a kiss, and told "the help" to not show their face while I was there or I would call ICE. And they totally discriminated against me and told me to leave. And I gladly left, they had some black guy counting the money at the register.

I'm going to sue bigly because they clearly discriminated against me because of my values and beliefs.

I know you're still hurting, but we have an entire sub-forum for you and others to be all maddy-mad in.

(11-18-2016, 04:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: It's not denial of service if the service was never requested.

Are those values infringing on anyone?

So no issues with a "We don't serve gays" sign hung on a business door?

I would answer the values question; however, I am unsure whose values you are refering to.

(11-18-2016, 04:41 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There is no anti-discrimination protection for someone's political positions. Even for someone being gay, it is a state-by-state case at the moment.

Soooooo....is that a Not The Same?

Also she's from a different Country, these beliefs might be because of the culture in which she was reared. So maybe she's being discriminated against based on national Origin.

(11-18-2016, 05:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So no issues with a "We don't serve gays" sign hung on a business door?

I would answer the values question; however, I am unsure whose values you are refering to.

A private business can hang whatever sign they like if I remember correctly.  Wasn't there a guy who hung a "No Muslims" sign at his gun shop?  I don't remember there being a lawsuit over it.

Honestly I thought I said the cake maker could do what she wanted but I thought her reasoning was bad: Making a cake for a gay wedding was endorsing gay marriage.  The same would apply here.

I meant the values of the designer.  Are her beliefs infringing on anyone else's rights?

If Mrs. Trump wants to sue over her inability to get a designer dress from this person I'd find it very interesting.
(11-18-2016, 05:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Soooooo....is that a Not The Same?

Also she's from a different Country, these beliefs might be because of the culture in which she was reared. So maybe she's being discriminated against based on national Origin.

That is a not the same. And it would be up to the plaintiff to prove that the discrimination was based on national origin and not just political ideology. Same as in other anti-discrimination cases, the onus of proof is typically on the plaintiff/victim.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-18-2016, 05:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I know you're still hurting, but we have an entire sub-forum for you and others to be all maddy-mad in.

I figured you would think I acted presidential after my experience. 
[Image: funny-social-justice-warriors-memes-sjws...info&w=600]
(11-18-2016, 04:41 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There is no anti-discrimination protection for someone's political positions. Even for someone being gay, it is a state-by-state case at the moment.

Sho nuff.  There is a shooting range around here that only lets Trump supporters in.  I'd point out that voting for Gary Johnson is technically more pro-gun than voting for Trump, but why would I want to give that guy my business?
(11-18-2016, 08:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Sho nuff.  There is a shooting range around here that only lets Trump supporters in.  I'd point out that voting for Gary Johnson is technically more pro-gun than voting for Trump, but why would I want to give that guy my business?
They don't listen about Gary.
I got a thread closed down, on the NRA's Facebook page, for insisting they chose the wrong guy.
I went into detail on why their candidate was a poor choice
The Libertarian Regional Coordinator found it amusing (she was in the same thread).
(11-18-2016, 11:51 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: They don't listen about Gary.
I got a thread closed down, on the NRA's Facebook page, for insisting they chose the wrong guy.
I went into detail on why their candidate was a poor choice
The Libertarian Regional Coordinator found it amusing (she was in the same thread).

The NRA isn't pro gun rights, they are pro gun manufacturers. In reality, the right person for their big donors would have been Clinton. They just can't get away with that move.

(11-18-2016, 11:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The NRA isn't pro gun rights, they are pro gun manufacturers. In reality, the right person for their big donors would have been Clinton. They just can't get away with that move.
Oh, I know.
That was part of my rant, considering they are not in it for the common person, anymore.
I was a member, for 20+ years.....wasted.
Our gun club required it.
Needless to say, I'm not at that club, anymore.
I do miss shooting ad 3am though.
(11-19-2016, 12:00 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Oh, I know.
That was part of my rant, considering they are not in it for the common person, anymore.
I was a member, for 20+ years.....wasted.
Our gun club required it.
Needless to say, I'm not at that club, anymore.
I do miss shooting ad 3am though.

I miss the intended purpose of the NRA, teaching the common person how to shoot, how to safely handle a firearm. They used to even be about common sense firearm regulations. Things have really changed.

(11-18-2016, 05:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Soooooo....is that a Not The Same?

No.  Republicans are not a protected class.