Poll: Best Bengals Defense ever
yes
no
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this the best Bengals defense ever?
I know its only 4 games in. This D looks lights out. Even with a terrible offense. we really only gave up 10 to the Ravens. 1 was a first and goal from the 3 from a offensive turnover. A FG was from a offensive turnover as well. 13 to the Texans. 20 to the packers we get credit for scoring 7. Browns got a garbage TD late. After leading 31 to nothing. The Texans and Packers both have done much more when they weren't playing us. We have had some good defenses before this year but they all had a weakness I dont see 1 with this unit.
Reply/Quote
The long 49 yard Watson TD run. The long completion to Allison in OT. Those are 2 plays that a great defense don't give up.

Our defensive line looks dominant for sure.

The Ravens game is hard to evaluate as the Ravens got shut out by the Jaguars and ran the ball in the 2nd half against us not really trying to score. We should have probably shut them out too.

The Packers were missing 6 starters including both starting Tackles.

I think it's too early to tell.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The long 49 yard Watson TD run. The long completion to Allison in OT. Those are 2 plays that a great defense don't give up.

Our defensive line looks dominant for sure.

The Ravens game is hard to evaluate as the Ravens got shut out by the Jaguars and ran the ball in the 2nd half against us not really trying to score. We should have probably shut them out too.

The Packers were missing 6 starters including both starting Tackles.

I think it's too early to tell.

I feel the defense deserves a little of the benfit of the doubt with no burfict for 3 games + plus until Lazor took over the sheer ineptitude of the offense keeping them constantly on the field
Reply/Quote
This defense looks good, no dobut, but no, it's not even the best Bengals defense ever.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: This defense looks good, no dobut, but no, it's not even the best Bengals defense ever.

This isn't even the best defense of the past 5 years. 2013 D was sick
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 01:14 PM)eoxyod Wrote: This isn't even the best defense of the past 5 years. 2013 D was sick

That D struggled matching up with tightend. Newman was getting burnt quite a bit.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 01:18 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: That D struggled matching up with tightend. Newman was getting burnt quite a bit.

We had the 5th best defensive DVOA in the league, gave up the 5th least amount of points in the league, and the 2nd least yards per play. 2nd best 3rd down D. That defense was fantastic. The offense just wasn't as good as it should have been
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 01:18 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: That D struggled matching up with tightend. Newman was getting burnt quite a bit.

I thought that was more our linebacking Corp but my memory is shit ...

But either way your right, we had problems covering te
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 01:26 PM)eoxyod Wrote: We had the 5th best defensive DVOA in the league, gave up the 5th least amount of points in the league, and the 2nd least yards per play. 2nd best 3rd down D. That defense was fantastic. The offense just wasn't as good as it should have been

Are these entire season stats or after 4 games in 2013 stats?

Too early to tell where the defense ends up, we still have 75% of the season to play. But, they are off to a great start.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 01:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Are these entire season stats or after 4 games in 2013 stats?

Too early to tell where the defense ends up, we still have 75% of the season to play. But, they are off to a great start.

Yeah...we played 4 pretty bad offenses too. Lets shutdown the Steelers and then I'll say this is our best defense ever.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:49 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I know its only 4 games in. This D looks lights out. Even with a terrible offense. we really only gave up 10 to the Ravens. 1 was a first and goal from the 3 from a offensive turnover. A FG was from a offensive turnover as well. 13 to the Texans. 20 to the packers we get credit for scoring 7. Browns got a garbage TD late. After leading 31 to nothing. The Texans and Packers both have done much more when they weren't playing us. We have had some good defenses before this year but they all had a weakness I dont see 1 with this unit.

As the season goes on the defense will jell more and more and I'm hoping we do see them become the best Bengals defense ever.

Unfortunately, the offense, particularly the OL, appears incapable of not being a complete joke.

Reply/Quote
im leaning yes. any Defense that has Burfict should be up there. this is the best front 7 we have had. maybe ever.
Reply/Quote
Too early to tell after 4 games but it definately could be.

Replacing Peko and Maualuga with capable players and our young players growing into something special could be the best.

The Offense sure didn't help them out the first two games and Burfict being out 3?

Billings, Will Jax, Dennard, Shaw, Vigil, Willis, Lawson and the Fej should all get better with more snaps.
Reply/Quote
I like the majority of what I've seen so far but agree with those that say it's a bit early to tell.
Reply/Quote
The last 8 games of 2012 and the 2013 defense who by the way was missing there best CB and best Pass Rusher for the last half of the season. Those 2 defenses were better.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Too early to say

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I was one of the very few to say "yes"...

Because I believe if the offense starts doing what they are capable of (like in Cleveland), you will see more of the pass rushers with a lead, more INTs because teams will be forced to pass, and fewer snaps to defend with a better offensive time of possession.

This defense could be elite if they would go with WJIII and sit Adam Jones. I also want to see more of Fej. Love him in the middle of the field and in run support.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 10:33 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was one of the very few to say "yes"...

Because I believe if the offense starts doing what they are capable of (like in Cleveland), you will see more of the pass rushers with a lead, more INTs because teams will be forced to pass, and fewer snaps to defend with a better offensive time of possession.  

This defense could be elite if they would go with WJIII and sit Adam Jones.  I also want to see more of Fej.  Love him in the middle of the field and in run support.

Yeah, if we can get the Defense a lead look out. Here comes Lawson, Geno, Dunlap and Willis.

Agreed on your man Fej, looking like a definate starter the more snaps he gets, unlike Shawn for the last few years.

Adam should only be used as a returner and a backup CB for sure. Will Jax needs to get a shot and so does Dennard
and will argue for Shaw in the Slot. I don't care if we paid Kirkpatrick a lot of dough if these guys are all clearly better.
Reply/Quote

Has this D even played a team with a TE they actually use? Way too early to tell how good this D is based on the teams we've played. They've played well though that's for sure. Given us a chance to win each game so far
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 03:29 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Has this D even played a team with a TE they actually use? Way too early to tell how good this D is based on the teams we've played. They've played well though that's for sure. Given us a chance to win each game so far

Bennett is good on the Packers but he is still getting used to his new home.

We will have a great challenge this Sunday with Charles Clay. 3rd best in the league so far, da Bills use him a lot.
Reply/Quote