Poll: Best Bengals Defense ever
yes
no
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this the best Bengals defense ever?
They have to potential to be the best in bengals history for points allowed.
Reply/Quote
I'ts impressive to do so much without Burfict in. I just wish we caused more turnovers...but beyond that, they look stout! I'm not sure about best ever from a Bengals squad though.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
No, far from greatest Bengal defense ever. But good, with a chance to get much better, as the season rolls on.

Still giving up too much in the running game. The secondary has some lapses, as well. If the Safeties ever get healthy, and guys like Dennard and Jackson continue to gain confidence from experience, that should change. With Burfict back, the LB Corps looks much improved. Vigil continuing to get better, and Minter finding his role.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's a good defense, but let's not forget who they've played.

They played Joe Flacco. A guy obviously on the decline, didn't play or practice at all until the last minute, and the Ravens LITERALLY ran the ball down the field on us on one drive. Like they couldn't stop them.

Texans started a rookie QB who had some struggles. He's gotten better of course, but the struggles were there in that game.

Green Bay they started well, but ended up obviously not doing as well. Up and down game.

They played the Browns who have a rookie QB and one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL.

I'd hope their defense looked good against those 4 opponents.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 03:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bennett is good on the Packers but he is still getting used to his new home.

We will have a great challenge this Sunday with Charles Clay. 3rd best in the league so far, da Bills use him a lot.

Since you brought him up, Clay is exactly what I would like to see the Bengals do more of with Hewitt.  Clay can be a lead blocking H-back, or split out like a TE.  I am not trying to say Hewitt is the player that Clay is, but just that I like they way they use him and I wish we got more out of Hewitt's talents.  Dude catches everything we throw to him (albeit infrequently) and he isn't easy to bring down.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 03:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't care if we paid Kirkpatrick a lot of dough if these guys are all clearly better.

In relation to Kirk, I think he is a notorious slow starter and really comes on strong by year's end.  I hope he is at full speed for the steeler game.  And he seems to be improving his toughness....It wasn't long ago that seemingly every tackle the guy made would result in writhing on the ground and coming off the field.

I think Dennard and WJIII are tough SOBs....
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:49 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I know its only 4 games in. This D looks lights out. Even with a terrible offense. we really only gave up 10 to the Ravens. 1 was a first and goal from the 3 from a offensive turnover. A FG was from a offensive turnover as well. 13 to the Texans. 20 to the packers we get credit for scoring 7. Browns got a garbage TD late. After leading 31 to nothing. The Texans and Packers both have done much more when they weren't playing us. We have had some good defenses before this year but they all had a weakness I dont see 1 with this unit.

Are you serious? Look at the teams we faced, every team had serious issue on offense. Common man.
Reply/Quote
Way too early to tell. Bump this about week 12 and we can start looking.
Reply/Quote
In their entire defensive history, the Bengals have never had three players on it as talented as Burfict, Geno and Dunlap.

In Lawson, they have the kind of pure pass rusher they have maybe never had.

If they can tighten up the run defense, they will be one of the best in the league. That might make them one of the best Bengal defenses ever. I don't think they are done improving yet, either, so what we're seeing is just a hint of what's to come.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 12:46 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Are you serious? Look at the teams we faced, every team had serious issue on offense. Common man.

The Bills were missing their #1 WR and best TE.

We did of course lose 4 guys in the secondary...so I'd say that offsets their losses.
Reply/Quote
It potentially can be great.
Still see too much underneath stuff gettin completed
Giving up TD to guys like Brandon Tate tells me theirs
Room to improve
Best defense in Bengals history ..
Maybe 76 or Wyches 88 SB team??
Reply/Quote
To early to tell, but they struggle vs the run and forcing turnovers (specifically fumbles). So far they are great vs the pass, good on third down and middle of the road with discipline /penalties.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 01:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...we played 4 pretty bad offenses too. Lets shutdown the Steelers and then I'll say this is our best defense ever.

Yeah, last year's poor  W-L% slotted us in the "loser bracket"......and we also get the Brownies twice.   That said,Geno, Vontaz and Dunlap are legit stars. The secondary has made progress. Vigil looks solid. The new Speed Rush guys, Willis,Lawson,Smith are for real. M Johnson is doing well in Gilberry role, some DE,some DT. When the offense is messed up.. it really makes things rough for the D.  Even so.. they have been pretty good.
It looks like a decent record CAN win the division.  The Steelers got SPANKED this week.   I think the Bengals CAN  have a solid w-l from here.

It looks to me like a 9-7 can win the division (if we win the rest of our division games.)
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 10:47 AM)redwood Wrote: Yeah, last year's poor  W-L% slotted us in the "loser bracket"......and we also get the Brownies twice.   That said,Geno, Vontaz and Dunlap are legit stars. The secondary has made progress. Vigil looks solid. The new Speed Rush guys, Willis,Lawson,Smith are for real. M Johnson is doing well in Gilberry role, some DE,some DT. When the offense is messed up.. it really makes things rough for the D.  Even so.. they have been pretty good.
It looks like a decent record CAN win the division.  The Steelers got SPANKED this week.   I think the Bengals CAN  have a solid w-l from here.

It looks to me like a 9-7 can win the division (if we win the rest of our division games.)

With how weak our schedule is looking...we should have started 4-1. This could have been a 12-4 season.

With Zeitler and Whitworth...and maybe Rueben Foster or Allen instead of Ross...and Eflein at C, Mixon in the 3rd Round...we'd be dominant.
Reply/Quote
It's a pretty good D, but the first few games are typically a bit off until they start putting all the pieces together as the season goes on. I think WJ will only get better, but right now he's making a lot of costly mistakes. Our LBs are about as good as I can remember and the Dline is playing tough. 
I'm ok with giving up meaningless yards as long as they don't give up TDs..
The safeties always seem to be getting nicked up  for one reason or another, but it's good to have the strong rotation when they do get nicked. I know a lot of you think Williams is trash, but I don't see it. He's pretty stout even being banged up which is why it's such a great luxury having Fej to rotate.. 
Greatest? Ask again after 16 games. 5 games doesn't give us the full story.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:35 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: With how weak our schedule is looking...we should have started 4-1. This could have been a 12-4 season.

With Zeitler and Whitworth...and maybe Rueben Foster or Allen instead of Ross...and Eflein at C, Mixon in the 3rd Round...we'd be dominant.
Unfortunately we don't root for the what if team..We root for the team we actually have..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote