Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isaac Asiata, G/C from Utah
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/football/2017-nfl-draft-snowboarding-giant-isaac-asiata-among-top-guards/YYMKjdVJovs4YseAPQY8tM/

This article shows his willingness to also play the Center position. I really like what he did against the massive tackles from Washington.

Here is his combine profile. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/isaac-asiata?id=2557998

He may not be ready to start at Center day 1, but I would love him as competition to Jethro and he is an outstanding prospect for RG as well.

Ross
Willis
Asiata?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 09:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/football/2017-nfl-draft-snowboarding-giant-isaac-asiata-among-top-guards/YYMKjdVJovs4YseAPQY8tM/

This article shows his willingness to also play the Center position.  I really like what he did against the massive tackles from Washington.

Here is his combine profile.  http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/isaac-asiata?id=2557998

He may not be ready to start at Center day 1, but I would love him as competition to Jethro and he is an outstanding prospect for RG as well.

Ross
Willis
Asiata?

Asiata is my choice if we draft a Guard in the 3rd or 4th round.
Reply/Quote
Tough in the "phone booth", anchors well, naturally aggressive style. What's not to like?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 10:25 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Tough in the "phone booth", anchors well, naturally aggressive style.  What's not to like?

Has NFL bloodlines...that is something else to like, but thought of it after initial post  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 10:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Has NFL bloodlines...that is something else to like, but thought of it after initial post  ThumbsUp

I'll admit that I haven't really watched much of him, so I'm going off of the scouting reports.  His NFL and CBS reports read almost identical, so I trust them.  Seems like his key weakness is getting too far overextended on second level blocks.  That is something that can be improved upon through coaching, being naturally aggressive is not.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 10:31 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll admit that I haven't really watched much of him, so I'm going off of the scouting reports.  His NFL and CBS reports read almost identical, so I trust them.  Seems like his key weakness is getting too far overextended on second level blocks.  That is something that can be improved upon through coaching, being naturally aggressive is not.

I laugh whenever I read about second level pursuit of blocks...if that is their biggest concern, I will take it because a lot of the time, our guards never got to the second level.  We need to get three yards before we can get thirty.  

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 10:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I laugh whenever I read about second level pursuit of blocks...if that is their biggest concern, I will take it because a lot of the time, our guards never got to the second level.  We need to get three yards before we can get thirty.  

Hilarious

Agreed, if he found himself at the second level so quickly that he's overextended, then he must have blown away his first target.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 09:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/football/2017-nfl-draft-snowboarding-giant-isaac-asiata-among-top-guards/YYMKjdVJovs4YseAPQY8tM/

This article shows his willingness to also play the Center position.  I really like what he did against the massive tackles from Washington.

Here is his combine profile.  http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/isaac-asiata?id=2557998

Ross
Willis
Asiata?
Yeah I liked the guy when I heard that he intimidated Washington's defensive tackes.  He can anchor and get push - something our interior has not been noted for (except Zeitler ?).  I'd be happy to have him in the 4th, but he probably won't be there.
Reply/Quote
I've been hoping for this guy since about halfway through the last college season. He's a big boy and won't be overpowered. Plus I remember seeing him pulling one play and just destroying a LB. you could tell the opposing D wanted nothing to do with him the games I watched. I think he'd be a steal in the 4th or later, his projections have been all over the place but looks like he's in the 3-5 range now
Reply/Quote
Just asking: Who is the last college OG to make the successful transition to C?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 11:35 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Just asking: Who is the last college OG to make the successful transition to C?

Andre Gurode? Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 11:35 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Just asking: Who is the last college OG to make the successful transition to C?

It's rare. Mitch Morse transitioned from tackle to center for the Chiefs two years ago. 

I think it's hard to break habits and tendencies when making the shift. You have to have a very athletic, coachable guy to do it, as well as a staff who can facilitate the change.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 12:59 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: It's rare. Mitch Morse transitioned from tackle to center for the Chiefs two years ago. 

I think it's hard to break habits and tendencies when making the shift. You have to have a very athletic, coachable guy to do it, as well as a staff who can facilitate the change.

Good info (more surprising is Mitch was an OT in College) and I thought it is a rarity. The one that comes to mind for me it's Brandon Linder. Both have a similar body type 6'6" 310 pounds.

If only there was a center in the draft that fit that mold. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Yeah, moving guys is tough. Just look at New Orleans. They drafted Andrus Peat as a tackle, then kicked him inside to guard. It hasn't gone well at all.

Shifting guys on the line is always a risky proposition.
Reply/Quote

Rodney Hudson. Never played center in college, been to pro-bowl as center in NFL.
Reply/Quote

Ross
Willis
Asiata?

Wow, didn't know he was willing to play Center. Loved watching this Ute, dude is a violent run blocker and can
pass block. Would love getting this guy, insurance in case Andre is not healthy too. But would rather him replace
Bodine at Center soon.

That is my only problem with the pick, we need a Center that could push Bodine as the starter immediately.

A Guard switching to Center will take a bit. Maybe Westerman has been really working at Center, never know.

We would be complete idiots to not think about a transition with Bodine playing so bad and coming into his
contract year.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 02:21 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Rodney Hudson. Never played center in college, been to pro-bowl as center in NFL.

Might be the best Center in the league right now besides Frederick.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 02:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, didn't know he was willing to play Center. Loved watching this Ute, dude is a violent run blocker and can
pass block. Would love getting this guy, insurance in case Andre is not healthy too. But would rather him replace
Bodine at Center soon.

That is my only problem with the pick, we need a Center that could push Bodine as the starter immediately.

A Guard switching to Center will take a bit. Maybe Westerman has been really working at Center, never know.

We would be complete idiots to not think about a transition with Bodine playing so bad and coming into his
contract year.

I agree 100%, but it seems the Bengals are stubbornly going to stand by their guy Bodine.  It is more frightening that they are apparently going to do that with Ced Ogbuehi.  I don't see being able to convince them otherwise right now, so I focus on where our team can make the greatest improvements while still staying in line with their plan.  Call it a backup plan to their plan.  

Whether Asiata could win the Center position or becomes our RG of the future, either way, I see the team as improved.  

It will be very interesting to see what they do with Westerman in the preseason.  They put TJ Johnson at Center when Bodine was benched, and later started him at LG when Boling was finally shelved.  They obviously like him and they extended him two years, I believe.  Westerman might have just been on that rookie redshirt season and will get a real opportunity this year to push Andre Smith or (more likely) step in if he is injured. 

I just believe Asiata could help with RG, C, or even RT in the event that Fisher was injured.  Love the guy's versatility.  Love his strength and I want more of a Bobbie Williams at RG than a Kevin Zeitler.  
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 11:14 AM)3wt Wrote: Yeah I liked the guy when I heard that he intimidated Washington's defensive tackes.  He can anchor and get push - something our interior has not been noted for (except Zeitler ?).  I'd be happy to have him in the 4th, but he probably won't be there.

I think we should address G in the third and we have a couple 4th rounders to address RB and potentially another DE.  
Reply/Quote
I think the fact that he is willing to play C is getting blown out of proportion. This is a draft stock move. If he says he's willing to play C, then teams will consider him for multiple positions on draft day, increasing the odds he gets drafted early. If he says he won't switch, then it hurts his stock, as he doesn't come off as a team first guy.

The biggest question is whether he is smart enough to learn the line calls and be the QB of the OL, recognize disguised blitzes, etc.
Reply/Quote