Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isaiah Wynn - Can he succeed at OT?
Wynn was a dominant LT at Georgia but (nearly) everyone is projecting him inside for the NFL due to his (lack of) length.
However, what I find interesting is he has the same arm length (33.125") as Alex Cappa, who did well on the outside this past week at the Senior Bowl and is projected to stay at OT in the NFL.
The difference between Wynn and Cappa is height. Cappa is 6'5" and Wynn is 6'2".
Wynn actually is heavier (308 lbs vs 299 lbs) and a larger wingspan (79.125" vs 77.75").
Source - http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/senior-bowl-2018-rosters-weigh-in-results-measurements-north-south/tdcizhhlocv512lqmhkj4sqwx

So if people believe Cappa can stay at OT for the NFL, why not the same for Wynn?
Is the height really that big of a detriment? I would think Wynn might actually have an advantage being smaller to prevent shorter DL getting leverage?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think he will be one of those guys that once he gets a shot at LT, he will become a permanent starter there.
I think sometimes the scouts get hung up on size and physical freaks and the potential they can be if they can put it all together, in turn they overlook those guys that have already put it together but aren't eye poppers.

And it would be fun to have the Whitworth LT or LG arguments again.
Reply/Quote
First off, I think that Wynn will not succeed in the NFL as an OT.

Secondly, I think why folks are not talking about Cappa moving inside is that he would not succeed there. With both you could get perhaps a serviceable OT, but with only one could you get an above average OG
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2018, 06:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Wynn was a dominant LT at Georgia but (nearly) everyone is projecting him inside for the NFL due to his (lack of) length.
However, what I find interesting is he has the same arm length (33.125") as Alex Cappa, who did well on the outside this past week at the Senior Bowl and is projected to stay at OT in the NFL.
The difference between Wynn and Cappa is height. Cappa is 6'5" and Wynn is 6'2".
Wynn actually is heavier (308 lbs vs 299 lbs) and a larger wingspan (79.125" vs 77.75").
Source - http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/senior-bowl-2018-rosters-weigh-in-results-measurements-north-south/tdcizhhlocv512lqmhkj4sqwx

So if people believe Cappa can stay at OT for the NFL, why not the same for Wynn?
Is the height really that big of a detriment? I would think Wynn might actually have an advantage being smaller to prevent shorter DL getting leverage?

Perception is reality.  We all know what the prototypical OT looks like, size-wise.

But, as you say, today's pass rushers are shorter guys.  Could it be like QB's, where the 6'5" guy was once considered ideal and shorter guys had to prove themselves and did?

I guess the problem is who would be the first team to play a 6'2" guy at Tackle.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Cappa may not succeed at tackle. Struggled quite a bit with speed at senior bowl. Needs to improve footspeed. But yes Wynn could succeed at lt
Reply/Quote
Ask yourself these questions:

Could Zack Martin succeed at LT?

Would you put him there?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2018, 08:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ask yourself these questions:

Could Zack Martin succeed at LT?

Would you put him there?

Good questions.
I think he could but he’s proven to be a great guard.
Mayock believed he could succeed at any OL position.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/zack-martin?id=2543480

I guess just like Wynn, it could be solid at LT or elite OG.
For Dallas, they had their LT in Tyron Smith so there wasn’t a reason to try Zack at LT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Looking at Wynn you can tell why analysts are trying to project him at center. All the speed and athleticism of a tackle but the perfect size to put in the middle of the line. He fits a zone blocking center to a T.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Personally, I don't feel like Wynn's height would be an issue. His arm/wingspan are that of a man in the 6'4"-6'5" range. I actually think that his lower center of gravity will give him an advantage against this new breed of smaller, faster edge rushers. Lower pad level can't be anything buy a huge advantage in drive blocking.

To put it in perspective, I'm a good size guy with what appears to be good length. (6'2" 32.5" arm length, 76.25" wingspan). Like I said, I'm a good sized guy, but that puts his shoulder frame a few inches wider than mine. That is a lot of room to add more meat. As an adult, I played mostly G, and DE. Why? Because I had the length to keep dudes off of me in pass pro, and on defense I had enough reach to make the bend around the corner.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Is the argument a serviceable OT versus a potential all-pro OG? I’ll take the OG.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 11:21 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Is the argument a serviceable OT versus a potential all-pro OG? I’ll take the OG.

No, that's not the argument. It's whether he has a chance to even be a serviceable OT.
I agree that I also think his best fit is at OG, but I wonder if it'd still be worth taking him in Round 2 to upgrade the LT spot given the Bengals have better guards in Boling, Westerman, and Redmond compared to crap for OT in Ogbuehi and Fisher.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Let me start off by saying I am going to contradict myself. I think Isaiah Wynn can be an All-Pro guard at either position I don't think he can do tackle position well because of his arm length but he does have very good feet.

But I also believed that Boiling is a great guard but has short arms making his contribution on the outside tackle inconsistent. I thought he did okay on a couple games I was surprised.

So it's possible that he could be a decent outside tackle but why move him there? I would love to for them to draft Hernandez. And see if they can move him to the center position. The dude is like pillar of stone and cannot be moved. If the Cincinnati Bengals draft those two guys they would greatly improve the offense line but they would still need a tackle somewhere.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 01:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Let me start off by saying I am going to contradict myself.  I think Isaiah Wynn can be an All-Pro guard at either position I don't think he can do tackle position well because of his arm length but he does have very good feet.  

But I also believed that Boiling is a great guard but has short arms making his contribution on the outside tackle inconsistent. I thought he did okay on a couple games I was surprised.  

So it's possible that he could be a decent outside tackle but why move him there?  I would love to for them to draft  Hernandez. And see if they can move him to the center position.  The dude is like pillar of stone and cannot be moved.  If the Cincinnati Bengals draft those two guys they would greatly improve the offense line but they would still need a tackle somewhere.

Part of why would be because he played OT in college, it's not really a big position switch.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 02:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Part of why would be because he played OT in college, it's not really a big position switch.

Since the Cincinnati Bengals kept Bodine they are going to need all the help they can get at guard.  I think Isaiah Wynn could be in All Pro Guard.  I would keep him there. But I will say this about him, he does have a good feet.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 02:14 PM)psychdoctor Wrote:
Since the Cincinnati Bengals kept Bodine they are going to need all the help they can get at guard.
  I think Isaiah Wynn could be in All Pro Guard.  I would keep him there.  But I will say this about him, he does have a good feet.

Was it confirmed he is back? I must have missed that.

Regardless, I think Wynn would be a great selection in case Westerman or Redmond aren't what we thought we saw toward the end of the year, but if they are and earn the RG starting job, I'd probably put Wynn next to Boling.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 02:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Was it confirmed he is back? I must have missed that.

Regardless, I think Wynn would be a great selection in case Westerman or Redmond aren't what we thought we saw toward the end of the year, but if they are and earn the RG starting job, I'd probably put Wynn next to Boling.

I think Bodine is back unless it was a nightmare i was having.  I have been having strange nightmares lately :)
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 02:49 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Bodine is back unless it was a nightmare i was having.  I have been having strange nightmares lately :)

I had posted in JN about Marvin mentioning the team wanted him back, but he's not actually back yet.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 02:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I had posted in JN about Marvin mentioning the team wanted him back, but he's not actually back yet.

I assume if Coach wants him back, then Bodine is back.  I assume that is how it works.  If you are correct, then maybe the O-Line can be fixed.  

To your opening post, would you move Wynn to RT or LT?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 03:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I assume if Coach wants him back, then Bodine is back.  I assume that is how it works.  If you are correct, then maybe the O-Line can be fixed.  

To your opening post, would you move Wynn to RT or LT?

LT. He has experience at LT, played very well in college, and his skill set fits better for LT compared to RT.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 03:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: LT. He has experience at LT, played very well in college, and his skill set fits better for LT compared to RT.

Well, they said Whit could not play LT coming out of college.  And now he is all-pro.  It could work but if it doesn't they could always move him to inside.  I just hope they sign Nate Soldier as a free agent.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote