Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isaiah Wynn apparently has "some" experience at C
Just found this article from a few years ago. It talks about how Wynn has actually taken some snaps at C back in 2015.
https://www.redandblack.com/sports/competing-for-starting-center-isaiah-wynn-competes-for-his-role/article_0ed356e2-da01-11e4-96e8-a7f19eef1906.html

Wynn is my second-favorite OL prospect behind Nelson, but I felt that OG and LT were the three best positions right now heading into the draft. Also, I see Ragnow and Price as better fits than Daniels at C in Pollack's scheme, but I don't think either are ideal picks at 21 and there's a slight chance neither will be available at 46. And I gotta say, from reading this, it does give me more confidence that perhaps Wynn could become a good C in the NFL. So perhaps I'd roll the dice on Wynn at 21 with the intent to first try him at C.

Your thoughts on Wynn as an option at C after reading the article?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 12:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Just found this article from a few years ago. It talks about how Wynn has actually taken some snaps at C back in 2015.
https://www.redandblack.com/sports/competing-for-starting-center-isaiah-wynn-competes-for-his-role/article_0ed356e2-da01-11e4-96e8-a7f19eef1906.html

Wynn is my second-favorite OL prospect behind Nelson, but I felt that OG and LT were the three best positions right now heading into the draft. Also, I see Ragnow and Price as better fits than Daniels at C in Pollack's scheme, but I don't think either are ideal picks at 21 and there's a slight chance neither will be available at 46. And I gotta say, from reading this, it does give me more confidence that perhaps Wynn could become a good C in the NFL. So perhaps I'd roll the dice on Wynn at 21 with the intent to first try him at C.

Your thoughts on Wynn as an option at C after reading the article?

Might be a stretch to think of him as a day 1 starter after reading this. Just doesn't seem likely since it's been 2 years. Now if we already had a center, one whom we'd replace in a year or two, giving him needed time to make the transition ..... but we don't. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 01:15 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Might be a stretch to think of him as a day 1 starter after reading this. Just doesn't seem likely since it's been 2 years. Now if we already had a center, one whom we'd replace in a year or two, giving him needed time to make the transition ..... but we don't. 

I guess I look at it differently than you. My nervousness for Wynn at C was because I thought he had no exposure to the position. While the article was from three years ago, it informs us that Wynn has at least been exposed. This would make me feel better about trying to convert him to C in one offseason, as he understands the nuances of the position now. Plus, fast forward to now from 2015 and Wynn has played multiple positions across the OL, which gives him better understanding of everyone else's assignments if he were to play C.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
He's a very cerebral player, I think he would take to the position just fine. He's a football player, he's going to do well at whatever position he's asked to play.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't know, I have my reservations about drafting a guy in RD 1 and having him play a position that he has rarely done. I have never been an OLman, so does it make a difference if you line up with your hands on the ground or on the ball, with defender over the top of you?
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 03:33 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I don't know, I have my reservations about drafting a guy in RD 1 and having him play a position that he has rarely done. I have never been an OLman, so does it make a difference if you line up with your hands on the ground or on the ball, with defender over the top of you?

Another reason for my optimism...if Billy Price and Pat Elflein can convert from OG to C in one offseason at Ohio St, I'd have to think Wynn could convert to C before the start of the NFL season.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
They tried him at Center and chose not to play him there, that doesn't make me feel better about him playing Center.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 03:41 PM)Au165 Wrote: They tried him at Center and chose not to play him there, that doesn't make me feel better about him playing Center.

Good point, didn't think of that. I chose to view it as he was needed at other positions that the coaches might have considered more important, but perhaps you're right.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 03:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Good point, didn't think of that. I chose to view it as he was needed at other positions that the coaches might have considered more important, but perhaps you're right.

I like the guy and if we can snag him and a Center it would be a great draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 04:01 PM)Au165 Wrote: I like the guy and if we can snag him and a Center it would be a great draft.

yes it would.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 03:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Another reason for my optimism...if Billy Price and Pat Elflein can convert from OG to C in one offseason at Ohio St, I'd have to think Wynn could convert to C before the start of the NFL season.

That is true
Reply/Quote
Rodney Hudson did it too coming out of college. He only played OG at Florida State and now he’s one of the best centers in the game.
Reply/Quote
Another article on Wynn.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/article31961862.html

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 03:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Another reason for my optimism...if Billy Price and Pat Elflein can convert from OG to C in one offseason at Ohio St, I'd have to think Wynn could convert to C before the start of the NFL season.

Yep, Wynn isn't just a "Guard" or "Tackle", or whatever.  He's a football player.  He'll be good at whatever position he's asked to play, within reason.  Heck, for that matter, he might have been just as good on the defensive side of the ball.  As active as his hands and feet are, I would think that he'd be a fantastic DT/NT.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 05:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, Wynn isn't just a "Guard" or "Tackle", or whatever.  He's a football player.  He'll be good at whatever position he's asked to play, within reason.  Heck, for that matter, he might have been just as good on the defensive side of the ball.  As active as his hands and feet are, I would think that he'd be a fantastic DT/NT.

Points well made, but my reservations are based on a few things. Football player aside, it's been 2 years since he played center and that was in college. Now he jumps to the NFL, a level above. We don't know why he wasn't kept at center after his sophomore year. We don't know which position that is the best fit for him at this level - yet. With our need to have the best candidate possible at center, my money rides on one who has recent experience and success at the position. I've only seen him at tackle, and have to wait until our coaching staff grades him before thinking he can play better at another position.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 05:45 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Points well made, but my reservations are based on a few things. Football player aside, it's been 2 years since he played center and that was in college. Now he jumps to the NFL, a level above. We don't know why he wasn't kept at center after his sophomore year. We don't know which position that is the best fit for him at this level - yet. With our need to have the best candidate possible at center, my money rides on one who has recent experience and success at the position. I've only seen him at tackle, and have to wait until our coaching staff grades him before thinking he can play better at another position.

I guess that it'll come down to;  If he's there at 21 and they select him, we'll know the coaches had high grades on him.  If he's there at 21 and they pass on him, we'll know they thought less of him.

Our coaching staff was at the Sr. Bowl practices, there ain't no way in hell that the best blocker at the event didn't catch their eye.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 05:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I guess that it'll come down to;  If he's there at 21 and they select him, we'll know the coaches had high grades on him.  If he's there at 21 and they pass on him, we'll know they thought less of him.

Our coaching staff was at the Sr. Bowl practices, there ain't no way in hell that the best blocker at the event didn't catch their eye.

No doubt! The young man can be an absolute star in this league, especially if coached right and given opportunity. Like I said elsewhere, I don't want to play against him regardless of position. Look at this way too - how many years have you and I been screaming for (at least) a decent center. Now we're looking at an opportunity to draft a good one, from a few candidates and not just one. 21 gives us that, but 46 may not. For all I know, we could be looking at our next RT with him. Gotta wait to see how it plays out. 

Wish the club sold tickets to their draft room. I'd pay money to see what's in their thinking for this.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 06:07 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: No doubt! The young man can be an absolute star in this league, especially if coached right and given opportunity. Like I said elsewhere, I don't want to play against him regardless of position. Look at this way too - how many years have you and I been screaming for (at least) a decent center. Now we're looking at an opportunity to draft a good one, from a few candidates and not just one. 21 gives us that, but 46 may not. For all I know, we could be looking at our next RT with him. Gotta wait to see how it plays out. 

Wish the club sold tickets to their draft room. I'd pay money to see what's in their thinking for this.

If the Bengals were to take Wynn in the 1st and either Price/Ragnow in the 2nd?  I think I'd have to burn all my vacation and stay drunk for at least a week or so.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 06:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If the Bengals were to take Wynn in the 1st and either Price/Ragnow in the 2nd?  I think I'd have to burn all my vacation and stay drunk for at least a week or so.

I was serious about grabbing a keg, picking up Wyche on the way, and heading down your place. Or at least something similar 'cause we're celebrating if that would happen.

Reply/Quote
My thinking is this:
If the Bengals want the second best guard at 21 I would lean toward Hernandez with the hopes of getting Price or Ragnow in second round.

But if the Bengals want probably the second best O-Lineman that is versatile and can play either guard positions, maybe LT and center to some extent, then Wynn is the guy at 21 with the hope that Price or Ragnow is still there in the second. I feel that Wynn has the toughness, aggressiveness , and mental fortitude to help out the O-Line wherever he plays.

If for some reason neither Price or Ragnow is there in round two, with Wynn pick, he could play center if necessary but the Bengals would have a solid Right Guard and don't forget that Westerman can play center if Price and/or Ragnow is not there later. Also, Mason Cole could be a decent center if flanked by Wynn & Boiling. Price would be outstanding.

If the team decides to go with spread base offense I think Wynn could handle zone blocking so he would give them flexibility.I would be thrilled with Wynn or Hernandez at 21. I just hope the Bengals get one of the top three Centers, so it is a risk.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote