Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It’s a Marathon, Not a Sprint
Getting blown out by the 49ers in the Bengals’ home opener was flat out embarrassing. There were no bright spots. No one played even remotely well; this loss is on the whole team and the entirety of the coaching staff.

After some time to think — and a nice Mexican dinner — I have seen things from a new perspective. I’m going to give Zac Taylor, the coaches, and the whole roster the entire season to turn the Bengals around. Marvin Lewis started 0-3 in his first season and even the great Sam Wyche started 0-5. Zac needs the same consideration.

Let’s face some sobering facts. First, this roster was predominately formed under the previous regime. This means adjusting the playbook to the players, not drafting players to fit the playbook. As Zac gets more drafts under his belt the team will improve. Next, this is a whole new culture. I don’t see team members pointing fingers of accusation against each other which is terrific. Playing as a team is vitally important.

About a month ago I started a thread predicting a slow start and a fast finish for the Bengals. I stand by this assertion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I began to start a thread about the positives about today's game; then felt silly once I started typing. So let me put them here in this optimistic thread:

Jerry looked good once he came in at LT

Zac's decision to bench a peer performer.

Tyler Boyd is the real deal

That's really all I got
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I began to start a thread about the positives about today's game; then felt silly once I started typing. So let me put them here in this optimistic thread:

That's really all I got

William Jackson III had an awesome interception!
Reply/Quote
I firmly believe you have to get your ass beat before you can be a good fighter... let's hope taylor uses this as a learning experience..
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: William Jackson III had an awesome interception!

From my angle at the stadium, that looked like an I'll advised throw.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yes the game was an embarrassment, from BOTH lines being dominated (as usual) to 5-7 dropped passes including a TD in the end zone to the horrid defense and basically everything else. And yes ZT needs time to get his approach fully in place.

But to be honest it won't matter unless the Bengals change their ways and do whatever is needed regardless of cost to build Defensive and Offensive lines that blow the other team off the ball and do not permit themselves to ever be dominated.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:15 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Getting blown out by the 49ers in the Bengals’ home opener was flat out embarrassing.  There were no bright spots.  No one played even remotely well; this loss is on the whole team and the entirety of the coaching staff.

After some time to think — and a nice Mexican dinner — I have seen things from a new perspective.  I’m going to give Zac Taylor, the coaches, and the whole roster the entire season to turn the Bengals around. Marvin Lewis started 0-3 in his first season and even the great Sam Wyche started 0-5.  Zac needs the same consideration.

Let’s face some sobering facts.  First, this roster was predominately formed under the previous regime.  This means adjusting the playbook to the players, not drafting players to fit the playbook.  As Zac gets more drafts under his belt the team will improve.  Next, this is a whole new culture.  I don’t see team members pointing fingers of accusation against each other which is terrific.  Playing as a team is vitally important.

About a month ago I started a thread predicting a slow start and a fast finish for the Bengals.  I stand by this assertion.

The real test is going to be what they do next week.

It's very possible that they were buying their own hype after last week.  Silly after a loss, I know, but it happens.

They had a good performance where they should have won, and an abysmal performance this week.  Have to see what's the norm and what's the aberration.
Reply/Quote
If anyone thought we would realistically be competing for a Lombardi this year they were nuts.

If anyone let one unexpectedly close game change their entire expectations of this season, they were nuts.

This is not a good team. Too few good vets, too few promising young players. Unproven coaching that will need time to grow.

Today made all of that abundantly clear. I think we're building towards a good core, but if there is a starting point, it has to be the O-Line. To the credit of the coaches, they started to address it this draft. Not their fault Jonah is hurt. But we very well may need 4 other new players on the line.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:15 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Getting blown out by the 49ers in the Bengals’ home opener was flat out embarrassing.  There were no bright spots.  No one played even remotely well; this loss is on the whole team and the entirety of the coaching staff.

After some time to think — and a nice Mexican dinner — I have seen things from a new perspective. I’m going to give Zac Taylor, the coaches, and the whole roster the entire season to turn the Bengals around. Marvin Lewis started 0-3 in his first season and even the great Sam Wyche started 0-5.  Zac needs the same consideration.

Let’s face some sobering facts.  First, this roster was predominately formed under the previous regime.  This means adjusting the playbook to the players, not drafting players to fit the playbook.  As Zac gets more drafts under his belt the team will improve.  Next, this is a whole new culture.  I don’t see team members pointing fingers of accusation against each other which is terrific.  Playing as a team is vitally important.

About a month ago I started a thread predicting a slow start and a fast finish for the Bengals.  I stand by this assertion.

Who the hell's got time to wait for a whole season?

[Image: 1*8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA.jpeg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
If nobody above the head coach addresses glaring holes like what was painfully obvious then what’s the point?
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I began to start a thread about the positives about today's game; then felt silly once I started typing. So let me put them here in this optimistic thread:

That's really all I got

Ross had another 100+ yrd game and a TD. Even if the latter came in garbage time.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: William Jackson III had an awesome interception!

Really? He just caught a floater right to him. I could have had that pick...

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: The real test is going to be what they do next week.

It's very possible that they were buying their own hype after last week.  Silly after a loss, I know, but it happens.

They had a good performance where they should have won, and an abysmal performance this week.  Have to see what's the norm and what's the aberration.

A very large portion of this team, that's done that before, is still here. So...pretty much. 

They'll probably bounce back with a good performance on the road next week. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
If it is a marathon the Bengals started out at the end of the pack, ran about to the end of the middle part of the pack week one. Then they tripped over their shoe strings and fell face forward, got a bloody nose and ended up back at the end of the pack. Speaking of running 24 yards for 1.3 yards a carry today. They have 59 rushing yards so far on the season. 1.7 yards per rush. I don't care what you all say about stacking the box against the run that's just terrible.

They have a hell of a lot of catching up to do to even get back in the middle of the pack with stats like that and a defense that seems they decided to stay in Seattle .

That's going to be hard to do with a patchwork O-line and a defense with a skeleton crew at LB. Time will tell. I'm trying to stay optimistic and hope they learned from today's embarrassment.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
The next 2 games I feel.will.determine the season
2 and 0.the Bills and Steelers gets them to .500
Anything less it's too much of a uphill climb to reach playoffs
The best thing for this team to.do get past
This blowout and prepare for the Bills.
Hopefully AJ is good to go
His presence on the field could really lift this team
At the right time
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:26 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I firmly believe you have to get your ass beat before you can be a good fighter... let's hope taylor uses this as a learning experience..

Let’s hope the offensive line uses this as a learning experience.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's very possible that they were buying their own hype after last week.  Silly after a loss, I know, but it happens.

Oy, if this team has 3 losing seasons in a row and then buys its own hype after going 0-1 to the point where they get stomped at home this badly...well, that might be the most damning thing I've heard about this coaching staff.  Live and learn, I guess but holy moly. 

At least the stupid Browns were 0-0 when they were buying their own hype. I really hope this take isn't true.
Reply/Quote

After some time to think — and a nice Mexican dinner — I have seen things from a new perspective.  I’m going to give Zac Taylor, the coaches, and the whole roster the entire season to turn the Bengals around. Marvin Lewis started 0-3 in his first season and even the great Sam Wyche started 0-5.  Zac needs the same consideration.

The roster was formed under the previous regime? I didn't realize Mike Brown and Duke Tobin left.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: The real test is going to be what they do next week.

What team gets overconfident after a 21-20 loss?
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:50 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Let’s hope the offensive line uses this as a learning experience.

I just don't think the line is talented. They can learn the scheme all they want...but some of them just aren't physically good football players.
Reply/Quote