Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It’s too slow on here… but
To make a run for the Super Bowl IMO we need these things to happen or players to step up. Obviously Joey B’s health and the team in general goes without saying.

In no particular order….

1. Always the OL … Either Brown or Mims have to deliver and the running game not be an after thought.
2. Chase Brown… I was reading where 33rd team has him the fifth fastest player. He has elite speed. Then he needs plays designed to make it happen.
3. Mike Gesicki …. Early reports are good. If he can penetrate the deep middle zone the double coverage of Tee & Chase will be exposed.
4. D J Turner or Dax Hill…. Biggest position unknown on the 22. Somebody has to emerge
5. Sheldon Rankins & Kris Jenkins…. The DL did not produce well enough and it affected the whole defense. D J Reader was a like a stone pillar and also the leagues most physical to move. Disruptive as hell. He won’t be replaced but our pass rush will better with those 2. So more sacks is a good thing.
6. Jermaine Burton…. If he can become a factor on the outside teams are going to have a rough time. With Chase & Gesicki both in the slot somebody is going to be open. I’ve said this before I think in several 3rd and longs Sample will be in the backfield. They’ll have 6 to block it and Sample lends a ton to protection.
I think the surprise player on this roster will be Gesicki. I think Mims is a surprise. I think Jenkins is a surprise. But Chase Brown on the field more. Gesicki as a threat. Burton as a threat. The offense is much much tougher to defend.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I'll throw a Murphy or Ossai emergence in there. May seem like a luxury but like you said it's slow and we're gonna need a pass rush to get through the playoffs
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2024, 08:08 PM)bonesaw Wrote: I'll throw a Murphy or Ossai emergence in there. May seem like a luxury but like you said it's slow and we're gonna need a pass rush to get through the playoffs

Murphy & Ossai both contributing makes our pass rush stellar
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
The Middle of the defense(LB, S, NB, DT's)needs to play like they did in 21 playoffs and 22 seasons. Particularly the LB and Post safety positions. That was our biggest downfall last season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
People are sleeping on Yoshi. I think he gets reps in front of Burton. I really don't think Burton is going to have the impact or snap count a lot of you think he will.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2024, 09:17 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: People are sleeping on Yoshi. I think he gets reps in front of Burton. I really don't think Burton is going to have the impact or snap count a lot of you think he will.

Dude is an elite athlete in his own right, and has the brains to go with it. This should be a breakout year for him, we will see soon enough.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2024, 09:17 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: People are sleeping on Yoshi. I think he gets reps in front of Burton. I really don't think Burton is going to have the impact or snap count a lot of you think he will.

Dave Lapham has been interviewing the Bengals coaches recently on his Podcast his most recent episode featured Troy Walters. Andre Iosivas is the guy he talked up the most both Lap and Walters mentioning the off-season work he's put in. Walters also makes an interesting comment about the coaching staff "self scouting" then bringing in Justin Rascati to help marry up the run and pass game.

(Lapham has had interviews with Lou, Pitcher, Hobby and Walters since the draft.)
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2024, 07:18 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think the surprise player on this roster will be Gesicki. I think Mims is a surprise. I think Jenkins is a surprise. But Chase Brown on the field more. Gesicki as a threat. Burton as a threat. The offense is much much tougher to defend.

This apparent change from the style of offense that we've been seeing the past few years is vital to being competitive within our division. The Steelers, Ravens and Browns all have fantastic defenses, and changing up the direction of the offense at least forces them to come up with a new game plan for when facing the Bengals.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

I think so too.
The dude has much more big play ability than his 7.7 YPR from last year.
I think (or hope) he'll have around 300-400 yards this year, which would be an increase from his 116 his rookie year.
Not starter caliber obviously, but I think this year will be a mix of Iosivas, Irwin, Burton, and Jones pretty across the board for WR3 targets.
Collectively, these receivers after Higgins and Chase should be able to put up 700+ yards, and even more if there's a lengthy injury to Chase and/or Higgins.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2024, 09:33 AM)Wyche Wrote: Dude is an elite athlete in his own right, and has the brains to go with it. This should be a breakout year for him, we will see soon enough.

And its his second year in the system. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
If Yoshi and Burton are neck & neck coming out of TC, I'm betting Zac goes with Burton more often. Did you see the glee he expressed when we drafted the kid? Yoshi can be good but Burton has WR1 traits coming out of college where Yoshi was (is?) raw. I think Yoshi will still be a contributing player, but he doesn't offer the same explosiveness Burton can provide, in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2024, 11:24 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: If Yoshi and Burton are neck & neck coming out of TC, I'm betting Zac goes with Burton more often. Did you see the glee he expressed when we drafted the kid? Yoshi can be good but Burton has WR1 traits coming out of college where Yoshi was (is?) raw. I think Yoshi will still be a contributing player, but he doesn't offer the same explosiveness Burton can provide, in my opinion.

Yeah, it will be interesting how they use the slot this year.  I see a lot of possible mismatches between Gisecki, Brown, Irwin, and Burton.  Each have their strengths and I am guessing it will more depend on the D's personnel as to who gets the PT in any particular game.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2024, 09:46 AM)Synric Wrote: Dave Lapham has been interviewing the Bengals coaches recently on his Podcast his most recent episode featured Troy Walters. Andre Iosivas is the guy he talked up the most both Lap and Walters mentioning the off-season work he's put in. Walters also makes an interesting comment about the coaching staff "self scouting" then bringing in Justin Rascati to help marry up the run and pass game.

(Lapham has had interviews with Lou, Pitcher, Hobby and Walters since the draft.)

Zac had been scripting practices as well as the plays. Entering them in the iPad himself. Justin is taking over a lot of the busy work. I’d assume Justin will look through the old ones and get a feel how Zac wants it. Then they will meet or Zac send an email. I’d expect Justin is much quicker with the iPad. But it appears that Zac is trying to let go of the stuff he doesn’t need to do.

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2024, 05:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Zac had been scripting practices as well as the plays. Entering them in the iPad himself. Justin is taking over a lot of the busy work. I’d assume Justin will look through the old ones and get a feel how Zac wants it. Then they will meet or Zac send an email. I’d expect Justin is much quicker with the iPad. But it appears that Zac is trying to let go of the stuff he doesn’t need to do.

Who is Justin?
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2024, 09:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think so too.
The dude has much more big play ability than his 7.7 YPR from last year.
I think (or hope) he'll have around 300-400 yards this year, which would be an increase from his 116 his rookie year.
Not starter caliber obviously, but I think this year will be a mix of Iosivas, Irwin, Burton, and Jones pretty across the board for WR3 targets.
Collectively, these receivers after Higgins and Chase should be able to put up 700+ yards, and even more if there's a lengthy injury to Chase and/or Higgins.

Coach Walter did say Yoshi could push for a starting position this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 12:02 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Who is Justin?

https://search.app/hJUEDAzWWXgYxhLo9

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 12:04 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Coach Walter did say Yoshi could push for a starting position this year.

Well yea, but so can Irwin, Burton, and Jones.
All they're really saying by could push for a starting position is they don't consider Iosivas a ST-only kinda guy like we used to label Stanley Morgan and some others.

Overall, I feel pretty good about the WR depth this year.
Irwin has the inside track for starting duties, Iosivas really grew a lot last year, and Burton has sky high potential.
Jones I like as a slot-only guy but I dunno if they'll use him full time on offense because they need him for PR.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2024, 10:27 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And its his second year in the system. 

Yessir....and as noted, he's put in a lot of off-season work in as well.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 10:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yessir....and as noted, he's put in a lot of off-season work in as well.

I often hear players mention the importance of that first full offseason with their team, and describe how it really helps them to advance from rookie to second year player. With Iosivas being a cerebral type of guy, I could see him really benefitting from the class/film room side of the offseason stuff as much as the physical training.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 09:25 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Well yea, but so can Irwin, Burton, and Jones.
All they're really saying by could push for a starting position is they don't consider Iosivas a ST-only kinda guy like we used to label Stanley Morgan and some others.

Overall, I feel pretty good about the WR depth this year.
Irwin has the inside track for starting duties, Iosivas really grew a lot last year, and Burton has sky high potential.
Jones I like as a slot-only guy but I dunno if they'll use him full time on offense because they need him for PR.

I expect the competition for WR3 is wide open, at this point.  I certainly don't expect them to name a rookie 3rd round pick the starter this early, and Yoshi, Jones, and Irwin haven't even combined for 800 yards receiving in their careers.  

I think a big thing they will look for is a guy with outside/slot versatility.  That way, they can line Chase up outside or in the slot without having to substitute.
Reply/Quote