Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
It all falls on the owner
I hear some say Dalton is the reason the Bengals can't turn the corner, and if you take an honest look at his play you will find mistakes, no doubt.

Others are irate with Marvin Lewis and there is plenty of evidence that Marvin just can't lead this team to big victories consistently, or not at all if you look at the playoffs.

Then there's the OL, a group of girly men who play like they are taking female hormones in preparation for a sex change operation. Their coach has done a horrible job for the last several years and his player selections in the draft have been bad for many years.

All of that could be true.

But it is the owner who selects the coaches, approves the draft choices, decides who gets re-signed in free agency and who is too old to be of use for a new contract.

If Mikey Brown was doing his job, as self appointed General Manager, then we would see:

A. A head coach who really knew how to win vital games, win in the playoffs (and not just get killed almost every time), would have control of the team, would game plan better, would make changes much more quickly instead of waiting until all was lost, etc.

B. Offensive coaches that did know what a good OLman would look like and we'd be selecting better and if we made a mistake in drafting a tackle (or any player), we'd figure out what we did wrong and we'd select another (better) one.

C. Andy Dalton would be coached to deal with real game situations. He'd have a good OL that didn't betray him every other play, or more often than that as has been the case in some games. He'd have a legit #2 WR on the field.

D. We wouldn't draft out of desperation or hope or a pile of "ifs", none of which are likely.

Yes, it all comes down to having an owner who named himself GM without any qualifications what-so-ever and he continues to suck at it. That one move by him when his father died was the fatal move he made. He's still the GM, make no bones about it. He decides what the team will take for AJ McCarron, has to sign off on draft picks and he's got his body standing on the team's pocket books when it comes to free agency.

JUST BLAME MIKE BROWN cause you'll be far more right than wrong on anything that goes wrong with the Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 03:38 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I hear some say Dalton is the reason the Bengals can't turn the corner, and if you take an honest look at his play you will find mistakes, no doubt.

Others are irate with Marvin Lewis and there is plenty of evidence that Marvin just can't lead this team to big victories consistently, or not at all if you look at the playoffs.

Then there's the OL, a group of girly men who play like they are taking female hormones in preparation for a sex change operation. Their coach has done a horrible job for the last several years and his player selections in the draft have been bad for many years.

But it is the owner who selects the coaches, approves the draft choices, decides who gets re-signed in free agency and who is too old to be of use for a new contract.

If Mikey Brown was doing his job, as self appointed General Manager, then we would see:

A. A head coach who really knew how to win vital games, win in the playoffs (and not just get killed almost every time), would have control of the team, would game plan better, would make changes much more quickly instead of waiting until all was lost, etc.

B. Offensive coaches that did know what a good OLman would look like and we'd be selecting better and if we made a mistake in drafting a tackle (or any player), we'd figure out what we did wrong and we'd select another (better) one.

C. Andy Dalton would be coached to deal with real game situations. He'd have a good OL that didn't betray him every other play, or more often than that as has been the case in some games. He'd have a legit #2 WR on the field.

D. We wouldn't draft out of desperation or hope or a pile of "ifs", none of which are likely.

Yes, it all comes down to having an owner who named himself GM without any qualifications what-so-ever and he continues to suck at it. That one move by him when his father died was the fatal move he made. He's still the GM, make no bones about it. He decides what the team will take for AJ McCarron, has to sign off on draft picks and he's got his body standing on the team's pocket books when it comes to free agency.

JUST BLAME MIKE BROWN cause you'll be far more right than wrong on anything that goes wrong with the Bengals.

I actually think the opposite regarding the draft. I don't feel the Bengals draft out of desperation at all, especially the first round. They draft for future potential down the road and potential replacement of aging veterans with upcoming end of contract. I would even say they look TOO far ahead and deemphasize immediate need, continually keeping this team on the plateau they have been on for awhile.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 03:38 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I hear some say Dalton is the reason the Bengals can't turn the corner, and if you take an honest look at his play you will find mistakes, no doubt.

I don't think you'll find a single Mike Brown defender anywhere; however, the reason we discuss the other things is because it's more likely Brown will hire the right HC and draft the right players than it is that he'll retire and/or we get a new owner/GM.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
He is the biggest albatross any spots franchise has. The guy is cheap and stupid.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Mike isn't going to fire himself, and probably isn't planning to walk away any time soon....so all we can really do is talk about possibilities in other areas.  Sad
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 05:35 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He is the biggest albatross any sports franchise has. The guy is cheap and stupid.

I don't like the way Mike Browns runs this franchise
especially coveting mediocrity over winning championships. But, he is NOT stupid. If he were he would not have turned his thimble-size knowledge of football (Yes he played QB in college, can you imagine?), into a multi-billion dollar enterprise for himself and his family for generations to come.

That's not stupid. It's not good NFL football either. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 06:37 PM)Derrick Wrote:
especially coveting mediocrity over winning championships. But, he is NOT stupid. If he were he would not have turned his thimble-size knowledge of football (Yes he played QB in college, can you imagine?), into a multi-billion dollar enterprise for himself and his family for generations to come.

He doesn’t covet mediocrity, it’s profitability. Business smart, yes. Law smart, yes.

Football smart? Turnip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown definitely knows how to make money. Financially, the man is not stupid at all. He cries poor, but refuses to let the city or the public see the teams financial records. That's because of all of those years he was fielding a subpar product, he was raking in money. People try to use the excuse that this is the Brown family's only source of income which is why they are more money conscious. None of that is true. With the league's profit sharing, the Brown family is guaranteed profit every season no matter what. There's no motivation for Brown to use all of his resources to win a title because he's going to make profit regardless of the season's outcome.

That's what makes all of this even worse. While we're still sitting on almost $13m in cap space, we could be at least attempting to bring in OLine help. As the trade deadline neared, he could've traded some of his coveted (cheap) draft picks for OLine help. Instead, a there was a total clusterf*ck with the McCarron trade with Cleveland.

This franchise will continue to suffer as long as the Brown family is in charge. As long as the entire goal of the franchise is to bring in revenue instead of winning, there's no real hope other than catching lightning in a bottle.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 03:38 PM)BengalChris Wrote: JUST BLAME MIKE BROWN cause you'll be far more right than wrong on anything that goes wrong with the Bengals.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM8O7awWVp8XAaoY_p0Gz...uER0AWnpq6]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 06:37 PM)Derrick Wrote:

Take away the safety net, the big warm blanket of revenue sharing and Mike would've run this business into the ground long ago.  If he really had to compete for revenue, he'd be lost and bankrupt.

His greatest accomplishment was being born.  He is the living embodiment of a fact I've known for long time--never let a ***** lawyer run anything.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 05:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't think you'll find a single Mike Brown defender anywhere; however, the reason we discuss the other things is because it's more likely Brown will hire the right HC and draft the right players than it is that he'll retire and/or we get a new owner/GM.

(11-01-2017, 05:43 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mike isn't going to fire himself, and probably isn't planning to walk away any time soon....so all we can really do is talk about possibilities in other areas.  Sad

I do understand this. We can't fire Mikey Brown, so let's talk about things that might change.

However, I also have to ask myself, how much better would Dalton be if we had a front office that wanted a decent OL in front of him? How well would this team play in the playoffs if we had a coach who, well understood big game preparation? How long does this team have to be "just about over the hump", but never quite there, ever.

I'm not the biggest Dalton fan, but the more people point out his mistakes, while he's running from a rush that shouldn't be 3 yards deep before he can get his feet set, the more irritated I become with Mikey Brown.

I've gone from happy with Marvin to being discussed with Marvin, but then I remember that he has to deal with Mikey Brown and suddenly I feel for the guy. I still want him gone at the end of year, but I feel for the guy.

Reply/Quote
Having such a poor offensive line yet retaining the same O-Line coach from the lost decade because of owner friendship has to be the biggest slap to the face.

This case alone breeds my hatred towards this miserably run franchise.

Marvin just picking up a check and asking for more gruel while smugly deflecting valid questions/criticism is second in my opinion.

[Image: th?id=OIP.oAf2tYOwDXqo81EVcDRiSAEsEP&pid...=175&h=159]

I don't actually think he's that big of a moron.

His hands have to be tied personnel-wise.

There is no way in hell he can watch game tape and conclude "everything is fine" like some Comical Ali.

[Image: th?id=OIP.isCNHaX2F23881yWduHE7wEsEs&pid...=300&h=300]

Our only hope is that some of the players get through to Mikey, because Marvin's balls are somewhere in his little change purse...  or perhaps Marv's sack IS his change purse !!

[Image: th?id=OIP.HQ5_nlZF278yBzBARjDriQEsEF&pid...=175&h=153]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
For all of those who think Mikey Brown is a smart business man, I'd like to point out that it would be almost impossible in today's NFL for a team to lose money. That's how the game is rigged.

The salary cap, TV deals and revenue sharing all make for a competitive financial setting where every team can afford good players and still leave the owner with lots to put in his pocket. This is what makes the Bengals worth so much. It wasn't worth much (in terms of sports franchises) back after Mikey destroyed the team and drove it into the dirt for more than a decade in the 90s and early 2000s.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 10:36 PM)BengalChris Wrote: For all of those who think Mikey Brown is a smart business man, I'd like to point out that it would be almost impossible in today's NFL for a team to lose money. That's how the game is rigged.

The salary cap, TV deals and revenue sharing all make for a competitive financial setting where every team can afford good players and still leave the owner with lots to put in his pocket. This is what makes the Bengals worth so much. It wasn't worth much (in terms of sports franchises) back after Mikey destroyed the team and drove it into the dirt for more than a decade in the 90s and early 2000s.

He did also negotiate himself a sweet deal on a taxpayers funded stadium. And buyout the other minority owners. And pay himself and his family handsomely, probably with tax loopholes in there somewhere.

You don’t get a Yale law degree by being dumb.

Judging the bengals by championships, other postseason successes, winning percentage and organization image he has been an abject failure.

Reply/Quote
In the article posted by Jim O. in the McCarron trade thread it says "the Browns front office put in a call to Mike Brown" words to that effect. Not the Bengals front office, not Duke, not Katie, not Marvin - Mikey. So the theory that Mike Brown has stepped back and is letting the brain trust run the team goes out the window !

How he can be so stubborn is beyond words. This team is in desperate need of O-line help and he just sits on his hands, when he's not counting money.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 11:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So the theory that Mike Brown has stepped back and is letting the brain trust run the team goes out the window !

I never believed that crap anyway. He's always meddling in the teams affairs. He will never step back until he stops breathing.

Reply/Quote
Mike Brown is not stupid or dumb. What business person does not want to make profit?.

It seems to me the more recent contracts that have been offered to Cincinnati Bengals players have been competitive to other offers. Therefore the perception that the front office is cheap is antiquated.

Mike Brown is 82 years old and will be 83 next August. Although it seems to some that his role in the organization has diminished over the years he still has a significant impact on personnel and coaching decisions. I do not see this changing for at least another five years.

The much-maligned Marvin Lewis can only do so much in terms of retaining player personnel. I think the coaching staff has a bigger impact on the draft which looking back over the last few years has been hit-and-miss.

The problem I see with the Cincinnati Bengals organization has remained constant over the years is the loyalty to player personnel and coaching staff members who do not perform up to expectations. Simply put the front office specifically Mike Brown is not willing to make changes to improve team performance at least not without much deliberation. Change is slow in this organization.

The entropy of the Cincinnati Bengals offensive line became apparent this year. The decision not to maintain the pro bowler offensive left tackle was a major mistake. A mistake that upset even the head coach. The decision to retain a center that underperforms from year to year is baffling. This clearly points to Paul Alexander's influence. Yet the Cincinnati Bengals retain Paul Alexander's contract from year to year.

The decision to maintain loyalties to certain players with character issues who repeatedly have run in with law enforcement is the norm for the Cincinnati Bengals. Why?

As an average fan myself and a loyal Cincinnati Bengal fan My Hope Is that when there is a change in the front office that they have more of an urgency to make changes to win.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 11:03 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: He did also negotiate himself a sweet deal on a taxpayers funded stadium.  And buyout the other minority owners.  And pay himself and his family handsomely, probably with tax loopholes in there somewhere.

You don’t get a Yale law degree by being dumb.

Judging the bengals by championships, other postseason successes, winning percentage and organization image he has been an abject failure.  

True but when was the last time Yale won a National Championship in football ?

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 07:18 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I never believed that crap anyway. He's always meddling in the teams affairs. He will never step back until he stops breathing.

Believe this hits the nail on the head. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 01:14 PM)Go Cards Wrote: True but when was the last time Yale won a National Championship in football ?

And that’s relevant how? I think I specifically mentioned judging the bengals.

Reply/Quote