Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
It all falls on the owner
(11-01-2017, 05:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't think you'll find a single Mike Brown defender anywhere; however, the reason we discuss the other things is because it's more likely Brown will hire the right HC and draft the right players than it is that he'll retire and/or we get a new owner/GM.

Both are pipe dreams.  He will not hire a HC who he will let clean house where needed, and run the show as he sees fit!! One of he first things he did when took over in 1991 was fire a coach just like this ... name was Sam Wyche!!
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 01:23 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: And that’s relevant how?  I think I specifically mentioned judging the bengals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just that he or his Alma mater had not reached the pinnacle in football. 

Lighten up or light one up, whichever helps you cope friend. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 07:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Just that he or his Alma mater had not reached the pinnacle in football. 

Lighten up or light one up, whichever helps you cope friend. 

Ahh, not that anyone would peg Yale as title contenders.

Puff, puff pass

Reply/Quote
It does all fall on the owner but there are plenty of other hands poisoning the soup.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Not to toot my own horn, but I think I nailed it recently when I called Mike stubborn, smug and aloof.

Those are probably the 3 best words to describe the man. Oh...and throw in cheap. Can't forget that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 11:03 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: He did also negotiate himself a sweet deal on a taxpayers funded stadium.  And buyout the other minority owners.  And pay himself and his family handsomely, probably with tax loopholes in there somewhere.

You don’t get a Yale law degree by being dumb.

Judging the bengals by championships, other postseason successes, winning percentage and organization image he has been an abject failure.  

How about we judge him by how much monetary reward he has reaped compared to the other owners if this is the avenue you want to pursue. 

Because they all make money in NFL and that does not require a genius to do so. 

May be the silliest thing I have ever heard to not judge by accomplishments on the field and only by revenue going in owners pockets. 

By this standard McDonald's is great food because they make a lot of money.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 07:40 PM)Go Cards Wrote: How about we judge him by how much monetary reward he has reaped compared to the other owners if this is the avenue you want to pursue. 

May be the silliest thing I have ever heard to not judge by accomplishments on the field and only by revenue going in owners pockets. 

Not to mention a sense of pride or to carry on a worthy legacy of your father's creation.

Instead he made people want to wear bags on their damn heads and be donned the Bungles by the public for a generation.

Now if we want to admire/respect someone who has just made money...  I'm sure there are far better choices out there.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Plus just for the record to clear up my attempted joke.

Yale has won the most NC of all at 17 with Alabama in 2nd

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 08:03 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Not to mention a sense of pride or to carry on a worthy legacy of your father's creation.

Instead he made people want to wear bags on their damn heads and be donned the Bungles by the public for a generation.

Now if we want to admire/respect someone who has just made money...  I'm sure there are far better choices out there.

Precisely

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 07:40 PM)Go Cards Wrote: How about we judge him by how much monetary reward he has reaped compared to the other owners if this is the avenue you want to pursue. 

I think you have totally misunderstood my posts.

I said mike brown is not dumb. And he isn’t. He isn’t smart because he made a lot of money. They bengals aren’t great because they have made lots of money. The nfl is literally a license to print money and unless you’re a complete moron you won’t lose money owning an nfl franchise.

I cited some examples of things he has done to prove his business and law acumen.

His football acumen is suspect, at best.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 10:36 PM)BengalChris Wrote: For all of those who think Mikey Brown is a smart business man, I'd like to point out that it would be almost impossible in today's NFL for a team to lose money. That's how the game is rigged.

The salary cap, TV deals and revenue sharing all make for a competitive financial setting where every team can afford good players and still leave the owner with lots to put in his pocket.
This is what makes the Bengals worth so much. It wasn't worth much (in terms of sports franchises) back after Mikey destroyed the team and drove it into the dirt for more than a decade in the 90s and early 2000s.

That is a good thing to bring up.  With all of this protesting business causing TV ratings to drop, prime advertisers to abandon ship, and now talk that ESPN might not renew their contract with the NFL, one might think that the revenue is going to get tight, real soon.

The league depends on fans, popularity in order to make money.  When the league starts losing paying customers, like it seems to be doing right now, owners will have to absorb that loss.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 08:37 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I think you have totally misunderstood my posts.  

I said mike brown is not dumb.  And he isn’t.  He isn’t smart because he made a lot of money.  They bengals aren’t great because they have made lots of money.  The nfl is literally a license to print money and unless you’re a complete moron you won’t lose money owning an nfl franchise.

I cited some examples of things he has done to prove his business and law acumen.  

His football acumen is suspect, at best.

Maybe so was reading quickly at work. 

Still wish a piano man would fall on MB. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 07:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not to toot my own horn, but I think I nailed it recently when I called Mike stubborn, smug and aloof.

Those are probably the 3 best words to describe the man. Oh...and throw in cheap. Can't forget that.

Cheap has to be the prelude to stubborn, smug, and aloof. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Here, and this is gonna be free, are some of my opinions:

Mike has an obsession alright, it's piling up enough money so his family won't lose the team. He doesn't have any interest in living like a king, that's obvious. But he's been affected for most of his life by what happened to his father in Cleveland. He is determined that no one will get the team away from the family, and passing this stuff from generation to generation requires a lot of cash.

I believe he is far more involved in daily operations and financial decisions than the family leads anyone to believe.

I put the deterioration of the offensive line directly at his feet. We'll never know, of course, but I think he's the one who drew the line on Whitworth and Zeitler which led to their departure. And an o-line that struggled in 2016 lost its two best players. We might be an actual contender this year if we still had those guys.

I believe that Mike is really a very decent human being when it comes to reaching out to people who he sees as troubled and trying to overcome adversity. I think he's genuine in that. It's just not always good for the team's performance.

I can't see him stepping away anytime soon.

I think Andy is a team guy, but I thought I could see some real disgust and frustration on several plays last Sunday, and it was because of the line's ineptitude.

AJ Green is our best player, and even he can't remain at an elite level forever. We've got to fix that line fast.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2017, 12:58 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Maybe so was reading quickly at work. 

Still wish a piano man would fall on MB. 

A piano falls on MB and immediately PA runs over and plays a funeral dirge on the same piano that kills MB. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2017, 04:11 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: Here, and this is gonna be free, are some of my opinions:

Mike has an obsession alright, it's piling up enough money so his family won't lose the team. He doesn't have any interest in living like a king, that's obvious.  But he's been affected for most of his life by what happened to his father in Cleveland. He is determined that no one will get the team away from the family, and passing this stuff from generation to generation requires a lot of cash.

I believe he is far more involved in daily operations and financial decisions than the family leads anyone to believe.

I put the deterioration of the offensive line directly at his feet. We'll never know, of course, but I think he's the one who drew the line on Whitworth and Zeitler which led to their departure.  And an o-line that struggled in 2016 lost its two best players. We might be an actual contender this year if we still had those guys.

I believe that Mike is really a very decent human being when it comes to reaching out to people who he sees as troubled and trying to overcome adversity.  I think he's genuine in that.  It's just not always good for the team's performance.

I can't see him stepping away anytime soon.

I think Andy is a team guy, but I thought I could see some real disgust and frustration on several plays last Sunday, and it was because of the line's ineptitude.

AJ Green is our best player, and even he can't remain at an elite level forever.  We've got to fix that line fast.

Yeah, about the oline,  I could see mb loving the back to back tackles draft. He could see far enough in the future at not having to pay a year or two for veteran players and instead get away with a rookie contract pocketing an extra 10 mil. I honestly believe that once we drafted Cedric, mb was NEVER going to resign whitworth no matter how bad Cedric actually was. And bad he was.  Ced never showed starter potential yet here he is starting and playing like shit.

Mb saw how bad he was yet didn't care,  after all, he was a top pick and "nobody" would question not resigning whit with a 1st rounder waiting to replace him.... mb is pocketing all that money and could care less about the state of the oline. 

The way the NFL cap goes there is NO reason to have ANY cap space, let alone enough to hire a pro bowl left tackle. Owners still make money even if they spend all of their cap, which is what they are supposed to do.
Reply/Quote
Is he really a good businessman? He inherited a team in an industry with revenue sharing. It's pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to not make a profit in the NFL.

In basic business classes you learn that Profit = Revenue - Expenses.

The Revenue in the NFL is guaranteed with revenue sharing. The only variable he can control is expenses. And he keeps them low.

IF there was no revenue sharing and he was making a huge profit...then I'd concede that he's a smart businessman.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 06:53 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: He doesn’t covet mediocrity, it’s profitability.  Business smart, yes.  Law smart, yes.

Football smart?  Turnip

If he just would hire a GM.....  Hell ML would make a good GM...  Move ML to GM and hire Gruden ( who hopefully would fire PA ).
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 02:48 PM)ah5 Wrote: If he just would hire a GM.....  Hell ML would make a good GM...  Move ML to GM and hire Gruden ( who hopefully would fire PA ).

All GMs are not necessarily good GMs,remember matt millen in detroit ?  Andy Reid in Philly?
What about all those nameless gms that the browns have fired over the years ?
Being decent at one profession does not automatically translate to success in a different position.
Dick lebeau-excellent defensive coordinator, head coach Bengals, not so good results.
Jon Gruden rode the Tampa team that Tony Dungy built to a Superbowl win, then was fired after teams Gruden assembled lost for years later.
General opinion is that Mike Brown won't allow PA to be fired Cry .
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 03:38 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I hear some say Dalton is the reason the Bengals can't turn the corner, and if you take an honest look at his play you will find mistakes, no doubt.

Others are irate with Marvin Lewis and there is plenty of evidence that Marvin just can't lead this team to big victories consistently, or not at all if you look at the playoffs.

Then there's the OL, a group of girly men who play like they are taking female hormones in preparation for a sex change operation. Their coach has done a horrible job for the last several years and his player selections in the draft have been bad for many years.

All of that could be true.

But it is the owner who selects the coaches, approves the draft choices, decides who gets re-signed in free agency and who is too old to be of use for a new contract.

If Mikey Brown was doing his job, as self appointed General Manager, then we would see:

A. A head coach who really knew how to win vital games, win in the playoffs (and not just get killed almost every time), would have control of the team, would game plan better, would make changes much more quickly instead of waiting until all was lost, etc.

B. Offensive coaches that did know what a good OLman would look like and we'd be selecting better and if we made a mistake in drafting a tackle (or any player), we'd figure out what we did wrong and we'd select another (better) one.

C. Andy Dalton would be coached to deal with real game situations. He'd have a good OL that didn't betray him every other play, or more often than that as has been the case in some games. He'd have a legit #2 WR on the field.

D. We wouldn't draft out of desperation or hope or a pile of "ifs", none of which are likely.

Yes, it all comes down to having an owner who named himself GM without any qualifications what-so-ever and he continues to suck at it. That one move by him when his father died was the fatal move he made. He's still the GM, make no bones about it. He decides what the team will take for AJ McCarron, has to sign off on draft picks and he's got his body standing on the team's pocket books when it comes to free agency.

JUST BLAME MIKE BROWN cause you'll be far more right than wrong on anything that goes wrong with the Bengals.

Admitting the owner is the issue is basically saying that things aren't going to get better anytime soon...and a lot of fans aren't willing to admit that so they blame things that can change...Marvin, Dalton, etc.

The Bengals have had exactly 3 seasons in 50 years where they won a playoff game.
Reply/Quote