Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rudi Johnson vs Ray Lewis
I’m looking for a picture or video of a goal line run where Rudi pushed his way past/over Ray Lewis for a TD. It was awesome. To this day I have not been able to find a clip of this.

Anyone remember this play?
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2020, 11:38 PM)Bengal Ben Wrote: I’m looking for a picture or video of a goal line run where Rudi pushed his way past/over Ray Lewis for a TD. It was awesome. To this day I have not been able to find a clip of this.

Anyone remember this play?

What year?
Reply/Quote
2006 at Baltimore he ran smack into Lewis at the goal line and pushed him into the end zone if that’s the one your talking about. Couldn’t get the link to work but the highlights of that game are on YouTube. Play I’m thinking of is about 2:10 into the first highlights video I found of that game. Bengals comeback failed late
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 09:47 AM)N_B Wrote: What year?

Did some research. His only TD in 2006 vs Baltimore is the one I mentioned. His only other TD’s against Baltimore were 3 TD’s in 2005. So it had to be one of those years. If it’s not the 2006 one it should be 2005 and not too hard to find
Reply/Quote
Was it this play?

Reply/Quote
Rudi Johnson has the top two rushing seasons in Bengal history (1454 in '04, 1458 in '05).

Rudi also has more seasons with 12+ rushing tds (3) than any other Bengal.

He does not get enough credit as one of our best RBs ever.

I am not saying he was better than Dillon, Woods, Brooks and others. Just saying he needs to be included in the discussion.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rudi Johnson has the top two rushing seasons in Bengal history (1454 in '04, 1458 in '05).

I am not saying he was better than Dillon, Woods, Brooks and others.  Just saying he needs to be included in the discussion.

I would personally only put Dillon above Rudi but I also wasn't alive to see Brooks/Woods in action, so I have to go off of statistics. Rudi had a short run of high production, but he was very good during that time.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 10:01 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: 2006 at Baltimore he ran smack into Lewis at the goal line and pushed him into the end zone if that’s the one your talking about. Couldn’t get the link to work but the highlights of that game are on YouTube. Play I’m thinking of is about 2:10 into the first highlights video I found of that game. Bengals comeback failed late

This was it! Hell of a run.

Thank you.
Reply/Quote
The best RB that I've ever seen as a pass blocker was Walter Payton.

The second best that I've ever seen was Rudi Johnson. Ask Carson Palmer. He was injured in the first game of the first season that Rudi was gone, limped through a few more games before going on IR.

I never got to see Paul Robinson run but James Brooks, another good pass blocker in the Gio mold, might be the only Bengal RB I'd take over Rudi. Corey Dillon had some some nice blocks here and there but he was a one dimensional RB that was a lazy pass blocker and receiver.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rudi Johnson has the top two rushing seasons in Bengal history (1454 in '04, 1458 in '05).

I am not saying he was better than Dillon, Woods, Brooks and others.  Just saying he needs to be included in the discussion.

If Dillon was on those '04-'06 teams in his mid-20s like Rudi was, then he'd be in the HoF right now.

Rudi doesn't get as much credit because he only had 3 seasons of 1k+ yards in his 8 year career, and he only averaged 4.1 YPC over those 3 seasons. He also added basically nothing as a receiver.

Dillon has nearly twice as many yards and did it surrounded by much less talent. He took lemons and made lemonade. Peak Palmer vs Kitna/Blake/Akili. Dillon at 30 years old showed us what could have been for his career if he was surrounded by better talent.

Brooks and Woods get the recognition because of the SB, but Dillon is in a league of his own.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2020, 11:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If Dillon was on those '04-'06 teams in his mid-20s like Rudi was, then he'd be in the HoF right now.

Rudi doesn't get as much credit because he only had 3 seasons of 1k+ yards in his 8 year career, and he only averaged 4.1 YPC over those 3 seasons. He also added basically nothing as a receiver.

Dillon has nearly twice as many yards and did it surrounded by much less talent. He took lemons and made lemonade. Peak Palmer vs Kitna/Blake/Akili. Dillon at 30 years old showed us what could have been for his career if he was surrounded by better talent.

Brooks and Woods get the recognition because of the SB, but Dillon is in a league of his own.

Agree with TLL. Love Rudi but he also had a great O-line, much better than Dillon had.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2020, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with TLL. Love Rudi but he also had a great O-line, much better than Dillon had.

This is the same argument I have when people say Emmitt was better than Barry. One got hit 5 yards in the backfield and the other 10 yards down field.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 03:42 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: This is the same argument I have when people say Emmitt was better than Barry. One got hit 5 yards in the backfield and the other 10 yards down field.

Yep, Barry was definitely better than Emmitt. What Barry Sanders did with that pathetic O-line was amazing.

Barry is my vote for the best RB of all time even if the numbers don't support it. Dude was nuts man.

Just made people look silly out there.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 03:42 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: This is the same argument I have when people say Emmitt was better than Barry. One got hit 5 yards in the backfield and the other 10 yards down field.

You must be arguing with "Dallas Fan".  Most of whom think Dak is worth 40mil a year, and ignore the great RB and Oline he has that he needs to succeed.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2020, 11:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If Dillon was on those '04-'06 teams in his mid-20s like Rudi was, then he'd be in the HoF right now.

Brooks gets the recognition because he was the best all around back in club history.
Reply/Quote

I disagree with so much in this post.

1) If Dillon was on the 04-06 teams in his mid 20s? So winning a Super Bowl with the Patriots hurt his career? The 04-06 teams weren't a 'run first' team like the Bengals were when Dillon was establishing himself so I'm not sure what you're getting at. The Bengals didn't go 'run first' again until '09 with Ced Benson.

2) Rudi, like Reggie Kelly, stayed in and blocked for their #1 pick QB. Lots of TEs have better stats than RK but why did Carson Palmer call him his best team mate ever? Because, just like Rudi, he stayed in and blocked like a 6th O-lineman and didn't ***** about lack of targets. Almost every one of Rudi's catches was a last second dump off as the play collapsed. I've said for years that the only RB that I felt was a better pass blocker than Rudi was Walter Payton. I think that Gio is a great pass blocking RB with some amazing sticks . . . Rudi was even better on a pass hungry team.

3) Part of Willie Anderson's beef with Dillon was his selfish attitude towards the end after the whole team knew they sucked early in his career and committed their game plan to try to get one player to the Pro Bowl

4) Brooks got the recognition because he was probably the best back to ever play for the Bengals but, then again, I never got to see Paul Robinson play. Woods got the recognition because he accepted his public role and played the fame game quite well. Maybe I'm wrong, but Dillon never seemed interested in embracing the fans.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 04:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, Barry was definitely better than Emmitt. What Barry Sanders did with that pathetic O-line was amazing.

Barry is my vote for the best RB of all time even if the numbers don't support it. Dude was nuts man.

Just made people look silly out there.

The best Running Back that I've ever seen with the ball in his hands is Barry Sanders
The best FOOTBALL player that I've ever seen is Walter Payton

Talk about two studs playing with shit teams.

The game where Corey Sawyer returned a pick six against the Lions in OT against future Bengals QB Scott Mitchell, I called into a national radio show that night and talked about the game. I told them "Thankfully, they held Barry Sanders to 185 rushing yards so I was pretty happy with that. I thought he was going to go off."
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2020, 12:00 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The best Running Back that I've ever seen with the ball in his hands is Barry Sanders
The best FOOTBALL player that I've ever seen is Walter Payton

Talk about two studs playing with shit teams.

The game where Corey Sawyer returned a pick six against the Lions in OT against future Bengals QB Scott Mitchell, I called into a national radio show that night and talked about the game. I told them "Thankfully, they held Barry Sanders to 185 rushing yards so I was pretty happy with that. I thought he was going to go off."

Completely agree, should of gave a shout out to Walter. Thanks for doing so FSV. Rock On

185 yards and that is not going off lol

That is how good Barry was.
Reply/Quote