Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
It's Gonna be Fine
Guys,

As you'll see, I rarely create threads. I'm on here every day, well every work day, and enjoy reading folks thoughts here, even when i disagree. But I wanted to create a thread that should likely be completely different than the others. The sky isn't falling, Joe isn't Andrew Luck, Zach won't be exposed nor is he a bad coach. No. Instead, I'll offer optimism for the future. Heck, I'll offer optimism for the present. At this point, we know Joe is out for the year. That's done. What we don't know is how Jake Browning will do after 10 days of acting as the starting qb in terms of reps, practice, etc. And let's face it, we have a pretty solid team.

Yesterday's game showed some ugly stuff, but I think behind that ugly stuff there was a lot to glean from. With Zac Taylor's teams, it's always been fascinating to me how the team does not quit, and how it responds to adversity. For example, the Ravens had their way with us on that first offensive drive. Next thing you know, our defense tightens up and stops them plenty of times.

All I'm saying is this: There are still 7 games left, and we have a really solid team overall. We've seen less than stellar qb's win the SB, and NO I'm not saying we'll do that, but it has happened. Many of us have wanted to see Mixon ran more, and I'll bet we see that now. Worst case, we lose every game and draft high (BROCK.....BOWERS.....PLEASE). Best case, we sneak into the playoffs somehow and really shock some folks trying to make a run. Try to enjoy the season, I know I'm going to try.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 06:49 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Guys,

As you'll see, I rarely create threads.  I'm on here every day, well every work day, and enjoy reading folks thoughts here, even when i disagree.  But I wanted to create a thread that should likely be completely different than the others.  The sky isn't falling, Joe isn't Andrew Luck, Zach won't be exposed nor is he a bad coach.  No.  Instead, I'll offer optimism for the future.  Heck, I'll offer optimism for the present.  At this point, we know Joe is out for the year.  That's done.  What we don't know is how Jake Browning will do after 10 days of acting as the starting qb in terms of reps, practice, etc.  And let's face it, we have a pretty solid team.  

Yesterday's game showed some ugly stuff, but I think behind that ugly stuff there was a lot to glean from.  With Zac Taylor's teams, it's always been fascinating to me how the team does not quit, and how it responds to adversity.   For example, the Ravens had their way with us on that first offensive drive.  Next thing you know, our defense tightens up and stops them plenty of times.  

All I'm saying is this: There are still 7 games left, and we have a really solid team overall.  We've seen less than stellar qb's win the SB, and NO I'm not saying we'll do that, but it has happened.  Many of us have wanted to see Mixon ran more, and I'll bet we see that now.  Worst case, we lose every game and draft high (BROCK.....BOWERS.....PLEASE).  Best case, we sneak into the playoffs somehow and really shock some folks trying to make a run.  Try to enjoy the season, I know I'm going to try.

Is it possible that you have the worst and best cases backwards?

Reply/Quote
I am an optimist. I don't know whether best to hope with lose the next 7 games and go 5-12.

What would our draft position be in 2024? My guess is between 5 and 8. It would not be the end of the world to be able to build through the draft in 2024 being in a much better position to get an impact player or 2.

I look at the schedule and just don't see the 5 wins we need to get into the playoffs with Browning under center.

Either way, it is a game and will continue to say, enjoy the journey, the journey may have just got a little longer to win it all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 07:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am an optimist. I don't know whether best to hope with lose the next 7 games and go 5-12.

What would our draft position be in 2024? My guess is between 5 and 8. It would not be the end of the world to be able to build through the draft in 2024 being in a much better position to get an impact player or 2.

I look at the schedule and just don't see the 5 wins we need to get into the playoffs with Browning under center.

Either way, it is a game and will continue to say, enjoy the journey, the journey may have just got a little longer to win it all.

This scenario is painful.  No meaningful Bengals football until September 2024.  

With that in mind, it could be an opportunity.  Tee probably isn't long for Cincinnati.  Reader may or may not return.  Jonah is probably gone.  We have no tight end and a lot of questions at running back.  We will likely get the best draft position we've had in a couple of years.  It will open up a lot of options if they lose as  many games as some suggest.  

Teams with the success and talent that the Bengals have don't generally get high draft picks.  Take advantage, re-load, get ready for a run in 2024.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 07:25 PM)samhain Wrote: This scenario is painful.  No meaningful Bengals football until September 2024.  

With that in mind, it could be an opportunity.  Tee probably isn't long for Cincinnati.  Reader may or may not return.  Jonah is probably gone.  We have no tight end and a lot of questions at running back.  We will likely get the best draft position we've had in a couple of years.  It will open up a lot of options if they lose as  many games as some suggest.  

Teams with the success and talent that the Bengals have don't generally get high draft picks.  Take advantage, re-load, get ready for a run in 2024.

how long you think tee's hamstring lingers now? xD
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 07:27 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: how long you think tee's hamstring lingers now? xD

I'd say for about 7 games if I had to put money on it.

I don't know.  Not sure how much missing a shitload of time will impact how clubs view him when it comes time to cash in.
Reply/Quote
Team did not show much after the injury, aside from Logan Wilson. A PI got us a FG and a garbage time TD to end. Was abysmal.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
I agree on your main point. "It's going to be fine".
I agree wholeheartedly with that.

I think this lost season can be a blessing in disquise as it gives the young secondary time to develop going into next year.
Losing is a great opportunity for the coaches and management to learn from their mistakes and improve.
Next year we will have an easier schedule and be on a revenge tour.
I think we'll be extra motivated and could finally get off to a hot start and cruise next year.
Probably lose Tee, but I like the players behind him. Need to keep Reader.

I disagree with you in thinking this team is a Super Bowl contender this year.

The defense has been pretty bad this year for the most part.
They give up a ton of yardage and plays.
The bright spot is they are decent in the red zone and good at creating turnovers.
If the offense can't move the ball they will get exposed, though.

I've seen enough of Browning in the preseason and regular season to know how the offense will go.
Heck, even with Burrow the offense hasn't been that great.
It'll be a struggle.

I'm expecting 8 or 9 wins at the most to finish the year.
Maybe we steal a game from the Steelers and Indy.
I don't see us beating Jaxonville, Cleveland, or KC.
Minnesota is questionable but they have played more consistent this year on both sides of the ball.
In reality, we could lose the remaining games or only win 1 or 2.
We need some better draft picks so I would not mind if we don't win another game.

All in all, every team has years like this where the star gets hurt.
It is what it is.
Good opportunity for us as fans to focus on other things and come back next year when things are fun again.
Focus on family and improving ourselves and just enjoying life.
Reply/Quote
We aren’t making the playoffs unless Brady and Gronk want to run it back one more time. Even then, still may not work.

Tank for the best draft pick and gear up for the best 2024 possible with a 4th place schedule. This sucks and will not be fun to watch but could be what gives us that extra talent to finally get a SB win next season.
Reply/Quote
I admire the optimism. I can't count them out until they are mathematically eliminated. I guess as long as there is hope then anything can happen. I know that first hand as it is literally part of my dna.

That being said, I wouldn't be going out and betting lots of money on them making the playoffs.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:10 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I admire the optimism. I can't count them out until they are mathematically eliminated. I guess as long as there is hope then anything can happen. I know that first hand as it is literally part of my dna.

That being said, I wouldn't be going out and betting lots of money on them making the playoffs.

Some bettor has a lawsuit out (allegedly) against the Bengals/NFL saying he wouldn't have bet 100K (??? who did that?) on the Bengals winning (the SB?) if he knew Burrow was injured lol. Seems made up, unless he bet super recently...
Reply/Quote
We aren't making the playoffs from 5-5. With Burrow, we would have had trouble.

There's major issues on the team.
Reply/Quote
Throwaway year. Whatever. Rams didn't make the Super bowl for two years after losing it. Hopefully we can do that.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 07:25 PM)samhain Wrote: This scenario is painful.  No meaningful Bengals football until September 2024.  

lets be honest.. bengals did not look like they were the better team even with Burrow playing.. so the season seemed pretty much over even if Burrow stayed healthy with a loss to Ravens...
Reply/Quote
… How do I say goodbye to what we had?
The good times that made us laugh
Outweigh the bad
… I thought we'd get to see forever
But forever's gone away
It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday
… I don't know where this road
Is going to lead
All I know is where we've been
And what we've been through
… And if we get to see tomorrow
I hope it's worth all the wait
It's hard to say goodbye to yesterday
… And I'll take with me the memories
To be my sunshine after the rain
… And I'll take with me the memories
To be my sunshine after the rain
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:55 PM)Destro Wrote: Throwaway year. Whatever. Rams didn't make the Super bowl for two years after losing it. Hopefully we can do that.

We need to revamp the roster.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We need to revamp the roster.

Not just the roster....Cigar
Reply/Quote
It will be fine if someone takes Volson out back and Ole Yellers him....
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We need to revamp the roster.

We need a new oline coach, maybe dline coach as well. 

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:05 PM)Tony Wrote: It will be fine if someone takes Volson out back and Ole Yellers him....

I wonder if Volson's family tells people he is prison to avoid the embarrassment of what he actually is.
Reply/Quote