Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Just A Game
I used to be one of those guys (not even that long ago, in fact since our last playoff loss) that would be in a TERRIBLE mood when the Bengals would lose.  I couldn't sleep, acted moody for a few days, stressed about how we played, etc. 

I've always been a huge fan.  I've bought the shirts, hats, jerseys, license plates, etc.  I've spent money on Sunday Ticket, and have been to a couple games.  I, along with I'm sure a lot of you, have invested a lot of time and money in this franchise. 

But recently, maybe it's me just getting older, I've stopped giving a shit.  Really, it makes my perspective on things so much better.  I have my own life to worry about.  Why be stressed about something that we as fans have no control over?  Don't get me wrong, I still root for our guys, but the loss' don't hurt as much.  I encourage all of you to do the same.  Don't worry about this silly game that has no effect on our lives.  Enjoy your own life.  And if we win, great.  If not, move on.  I can't stand a homer that has blinders on.  To me, there's a difference.  I'm just asking that before you go jumping off a cliff, take a little perspective and remind yourself:  its just a game.

WHO DEY
Reply/Quote
Watching the game is certainly more enjoyable when they are doing well, but them losing should not emotionally effect anyone.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 05:29 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Watching the game is certainly more enjoyable when they are doing well, but them losing should not emotionally effect anyone.

You mean to tell me that losses never bothered you?  I'm not talking about extreme cases where people unstable or whatever.  Just saying people are usually "down" when their team loses.  Who isn't? 
Reply/Quote
I don't watch anymore football during the days they lose. Too hard to watch other teams play well, and other fans happy
Reply/Quote
I went to the playoff game against the Chargers in 2013. It kind of dampened my emotional drive for the game a little bit. Still enjoy the Bengals, try to watch all the games, comment on the forum and all that, but I just don't get as worked up about them anymore.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
When I was dating the woman whom I ultimately married, I was very moody and irritable for days after a Bengals loss. She would joke that "Looks like I'm going to be living with bitter BengalFanInNJ this week" after a loss or "Looks like I'll be living with a happy BengalFanInNJ this week" after a win. She took the brunt of my anger for years. After a loss, she seemed to have more bruises than usual.

But now that I have gotten older and now have kids, it's a totally different outlook. As a father you appreciate more and become thankful for having them in your life. Now after a Bengals loss, it's the kids who have the bruises now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 05:24 PM)Captain Happy Pants Wrote: I used to be one of those guys (not even that long ago, in fact since our last playoff loss) that would be in a TERRIBLE mood when the Bengals would lose.  I couldn't sleep, acted moody for a few days, stressed about how we played, etc. 

I've always been a huge fan.  I've bought the shirts, hats, jerseys, license plates, etc.  I've spent money on Sunday Ticket, and have been to a couple games.  I, along with I'm sure a lot of you, have invested a lot of time and money in this franchise. 

But recently, maybe it's me just getting older, I've stopped giving a shit.  Really, it makes my perspective on things so much better.  I have my own life to worry about.  Why be stressed about something that we as fans have no control over?  Don't get me wrong, I still root for our guys, but the loss' don't hurt as much.  I encourage all of you to do the same.  Don't worry about this silly game that has no effect on our lives.  Enjoy your own life.  And if we win, great.  If not, move on.  I can't stand a homer that has blinders on.  To me, there's a difference.  I'm just asking that before you go jumping off a cliff, take a little perspective and remind yourself:  its just a game.

WHO DEY

Yes. This is exactly where I am with it for the first time in my life and the water is fine! It's so liberating.
Reply/Quote
'There is golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things that need to be done besides worrying about a football game'
Reply/Quote
Yea man I could feel my blood boil against Dallas. I hated their demeanor and I hated that they had every right to act like that because they were just destroying us. Then I realized what power I was allowing something out my control to have over me and I started slipping back into the 2010-esque numbness. Turned the game off sometime in the 3rd quarter (after they were up 28-0 and we punted again). I almost always watch the whole game even when we're losing, but it was quite obvious we were an uninspired team and I wasn't going to let them upset me anymore.
Reply/Quote
Its amazing how little relevance NFL football has in the grand scheme of life. Its also amazing how much relevance some people give it.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 05:56 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: When I was dating the woman whom I ultimately married, I was very moody and irritable for days after a Bengals loss. She would joke that "Looks like I'm going to be living with bitter BengalFanInNJ this week" after a loss or "Looks like I'll be living with a happy BengalFanInNJ this week" after a win. She took the brunt of my anger for years. After a loss, she seemed to have more bruises than usual.

But now that I have gotten older and now have kids, it's a totally different outlook. As a father you appreciate more and become thankful for having them in your life. Now after a Bengals loss, it's the kids who have the bruises now.

Nothing takes the sting out of loss more than reminding the wife who's boss.  Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
From 2005-2009 my life was all about the bengals. It was sick actually. After the 2010 season my obsession diminished considerably. That season was so disgusting I spent much more of my Sunday's just enjoying life away from football. I still watched them every chance I got but never let it affect me one way or the other. I'm still that way to this day. I love my Bengals but my love for them is a bit more... "Healthy" now.
Reply/Quote
Great thread and advice!

Particularly for this year- which is not going to work out well for us, unfortunately.
Reply/Quote
drink it off soldier.
Reply/Quote
It's ok to be salty or happy during the game... Afterward let it go.

I like to get on here and bullshit with you all, but the day that the outcome of a game or the direction if the team affects my mood, it's time to walk away.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
This is one of the most mature Bengals threads that I have read.  
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 08:21 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: This is one of the most mature Bengals threads that I have read.  
My favorite kind of fan are the ones that wish Mike Brown ( someone's father, and grandfather) dead so the team can move forward.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 05:32 PM)Captain Happy Pants Wrote: You mean to tell me that losses never bothered you?  I'm not talking about extreme cases where people unstable or whatever.  Just saying people are usually "down" when their team loses.  Who isn't? 

Agreed.  I stated that poorly.  I mean it's not a reason to get depressed or let it effect your day to day life.
Reply/Quote
I don't know, I kind of like to see my teams win.....too many fans accept failure and celebrate mediocrity.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 08:38 PM)jason Wrote: My favorite kind of fan are the ones that wish Mike Brown ( someone's father, and grandfather) dead so the team can move forward.

It's really gross. People should be ashamed for even joking about it.

I get upset over bad losses  (playoffs, games like yesterday, anytime we lose to the Steelers, etc), it only last a few hours though. I'm usually good by Sunday night. I just watch a good show or something else other than football. I hardly ever watch more games on a day they lose. 

Reply/Quote